Chili Rasbora Tank Mates

Carls

Any ideas on ideal tank mates for a 180L tank with 30 chili rasboras, 20 emerald dwarf rasbora and Spotted Dwarf Rasboras and I'm looking for a show piece fish to add to the community.

I was thinking either the Honey Dwarf  Gourami, sparkling or pearl Gourami as I've had them before but not sure if the chili's will become food.

I've got Panda corys, Venezuela Corydoras and marble hatchet fish as well.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 9:30 PM, Carls said:

I was thinking either the Honey Dwarf  Gourami, sparkling or pearl Gourami as I've had them before but not sure if the chili's will become food.

I am trying to think of what is the "calmest" gourami for the question. 

Here's one where Cory mentions the Pearl Gourami as being "more mild". 

Here's another talking about sunset honey gourami:

Hopefully that helps or someone who has kept a few of these can chime in 🙂

• Like 1

I have a 180L (50 gallon) tank, I've heard too many male sparkling gourami can become aggressive?  I'm trying to plant my tank out more and waiting on my twisted Val to gain height, but generally sticking to 3 kinds of java fern with spider wood driftwood.  I really want to try going for a nano style (small fish look) rather that a full blown nzno aqua style tank.

How many could I get for my tank.

Current load is

9 Marble hatchet fish

30 chili rasboras , 10 spotted dwarf rasbora

20 emerald dwarf rasbora

8 panda corydoras, 6 Venezuela Corydoras 

4 otos, 1 hillstream loach

6 gertrudaes

Share pictures maybe? Cory photos are always welcome here 😂 especially less common species.

I've kept honey, pearl, and sparkling gourami. The pearl was my favorite and while by far the largest she seemed to leave smaller fish (adult endlers) alone. She did chase my molly around pretty often though.

My only current gourami is a sparkling gourami (probably Trichopsis pumilus) in a 10g with some Espei rasboras. It gets along with them well and even swims along with their school occasionally. I'd worry about never seeing them in a 50g as they stay quite small. Trichopsis vittata gets a bit larger but (my research suggests) tends to be a more aggressive species of sparkling/croaking gourami, and they're often sold as the same thing.

I'd personally go with honey if you can find a healthy one. The ones I've had seem a bit fragile but they're not very common around here.

• Like 1

Here is a pic of my tank.

The chili's like hanging out among the hatchet fish top right by the thermometer.

The spotted dwarf rasbora like the other side of tank and my shy little emerald dwarf rasbora like the back on the tank.

You may see some panda corys and Venezuela Corydoras if you zoom in.

I was thinking maybe I add a couple of honey gouramis to my lonely one and also add some sparkling gourami as well. 

20220609_134119.jpg

• Like 1