Scammers on Facebook.

ChargerstoLA

So I have been using Facebook Groups to try and find L134 near me or reasonably priced ones for shipping. I have been hit with so many scammers who “only” know how to use Zelle. Or people who respond once then nothing else. Have you guys run into the same thing?

Edited by ChargerstoLA
  • Like 1

Sorry.  I haven’t.  I try to buy from people in my clubs or local fish stores.  My local selection of stores isn’t the greatest so I’m really relying on my friends at local clubs.  You learn after a while you who to text about different fish and who has them.  
Good Luck 

There are plenty of legit businesses and places to buy fish from that I stay away from Facebook marketplace or anyplace like that for fish. I can think of three or four off the top of my head that I would contact if I was looking for some L134. We can't list any names on here, but a little researching YouTube and some popular fish sites will get you them. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 6:46 AM, ChargerstoLA said:

I would love to find a local fish club, but I have yet to find one. I am in Vegas, so if anyone knows about one here let me know. 

I lived in Las Vegas for 10 years. There were several very active ones. Mind that I lived ther over 20 years ago so I’m not sure those ones are still around. I never had time to really be involved in them. I just did a quick google of Las Vegas fish clubs. It appears a few are still about. There was one starting in Pahrump (a bit far for regular involvement but a one time fish trip  it’s not that far). I don’t know if that one got off the ground.  

On 6/2/2022 at 4:15 AM, Guppysnail said:

I lived in Las Vegas for 10 years. There were several very active ones. Mind that I lived ther over 20 years ago so I’m not sure those ones are still around. I never had time to really be involved in them. I just did a quick google of Las Vegas fish clubs. It appears a few are still about. There was one starting in Pahrump (a bit far for regular involvement but a one time fish trip  it’s not that far). I don’t know if that one got off the ground.  

I will have to see what I can find. 

This thread is pretty timely for me. I have been talking to someone in the Philippines that I'm hesitant if he's legit or a scam. I has video called me and showed all his tanks and even his mom. He doesn't pressure me to make a purchase and often we just chat. It still worries me though. I'm only thinking of spending $40 so part of me is thinking that's worth it to take the chance but idk. He wants to use western union but I've never used it before. 

On 6/2/2022 at 3:03 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm only thinking of spending $40 so part of me is thinking that's worth it to take the chance but idk. He wants to use western union but I've never used it before. 

What does your gut say? I'd hate to lose $40, but if he seems legit it might be worth a try. The only thing I find weird is that it's hard to believe it's only $40 to ship anything from the Philippines. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 3:03 PM, Cinnebuns said:

This thread is pretty timely for me. I have been talking to someone in the Philippines that I'm hesitant if he's legit or a scam. I has video called me and showed all his tanks and even his mom. He doesn't pressure me to make a purchase and often we just chat. It still worries me though. I'm only thinking of spending $40 so part of me is thinking that's worth it to take the chance but idk. He wants to use western union but I've never used it before. 

If it’s too good to be true it probably is. The guy I am currently talking to sounded legit and it was going to be $210 for overnight and 3 L134 that were adult size.  So the price was a little too good to be true. Then he said he doesn’t know how to use PayPal and only takes Zelle. Then I questioned him how he knows which are male and which are female. When he couldn’t answer and tried blowing it off, that’s when I knew he was a scam. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:05 PM, ChargerstoLA said:

If it’s too good to be true it probably is. The guy I am currently talking to sounded legit and it was going to be $210 for overnight and 3 L134 that were adult size.  So the price was a little too good to be true. Then he said he doesn’t know how to use PayPal and only takes Zelle. Then I questioned him how he knows which are male and which are female. When he couldn’t answer and tried blowing it off, that’s when I knew he was a scam. 

I was thinking last night the "If it's too good to be true" thing as well. I did end up going ahead with it. I've actually been chatting with this guy for several months about fish and he has video called to show me his setups and such. He's given me advice and I've given him advice. I'm not saying these are reasons it's for sure a safe bet but it does make me feel more comfortable. Not to mention, with western union he had to give me his personal info in order to get any money. Again, I'm sure motivated people have a way to get around that, but it's another thing that makes me feel a little more comfortable. 

On 6/2/2022 at 6:01 PM, Patrick_G said:

What does your gut say? I'd hate to lose $40, but if he seems legit it might be worth a try. The only thing I find weird is that it's hard to believe it's only $40 to ship anything from the Philippines. 

My gut honestly says to trust him so I went ahead and sent the money today. He video called me before I sent it to even show me which specific snails and fish he would send. Honestly, I'm shocked too. Shipping was only $25. I do know that the shipping internationally is actually free. The cost is in customs. Also, he doesn't use a transhipper. Idk enough to know if that is good or bad tbh, I only found out about it from a friend yesterday and asked. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I was thinking last night the "If it's too good to be true" thing as well. I did end up going ahead with it. I've actually been chatting with this guy for several months about fish and he has video called to show me his setups and such. He's given me advice and I've given him advice. I'm not saying these are reasons it's for sure a safe bet but it does make me feel more comfortable. Not to mention, with western union he had to give me his personal info in order to get any money. Again, I'm sure motivated people have a way to get around that, but it's another thing that makes me feel a little more comfortable. 

My gut honestly says to trust him so I went ahead and sent the money today. He video called me before I sent it to even show me which specific snails and fish he would send. Honestly, I'm shocked too. Shipping was only $25. I do know that the shipping internationally is actually free. The cost is in customs. Also, he doesn't use a transhipper. Idk enough to know if that is good or bad tbh, I only found out about it from a friend yesterday and asked. 

Hey, if it works out send the info, what kind of stuff can you only get from the Philippines?

On 6/2/2022 at 11:58 PM, ChargerstoLA said:

Hey, if it works out send the info, what kind of stuff can you only get from the Philippines?

It's honestly all stuff you can get here but for a better price and his stuff is beautiful. Although I might consider the red racer nerites as hard to obtain here and he has tons of them. If it does work out I'm def gonna spread it to others cause he's a super nice dude. Assuming he is who he presents himself as lol

I've seen posts about a scammer once in the last year on the Facebook page for my local fish club..People seemed to know who he was too because he popped up in other Facebook groups trying to do the same thing. He was trying to sell fish and depending on what group he posted to, the fish changed. After several people sent messages to the scammer, he shut his Facebook page down. They are out there. My guess is the same guy will pop up under a different name eventually.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:03 PM, Cinnebuns said:

western union is your red flag. zero protection or recourse once you send the funds.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, lefty o said:

western union is your red flag. zero protection or recourse once you send the funds.

I agree. I watched a documentary news type piece a few years ago.  Western union is used by scammers of all types claiming for aid, food, medical assistance, goods, “love” scams etc. most in foreign countries I think I remember Nigeria being at the highest rate of money leaving US through scams using Western Union, I don’t remember the rest. 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 6/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I thought the same at first but then I thought maybe the other apps don't work internationally. 

PayPal works fine in the Philippines. My friends partner was there for years. So do several other methods. 

On 6/3/2022 at 12:31 PM, Guppysnail said:

PayPal works fine in the Philippines. My friends partner was there for years. So do several other methods. 

If I had known that I would have asked about it. Well too late now. I'll let you know if I actually end up getting stuff in the mail or not lol

On 6/2/2022 at 2:33 PM, ChargerstoLA said:

I will have to see what I can find. 

Why not go to a local fish store and request what you want? I've done that many times. 

Heck, even Petco will try to get what you want in their next order if it's available of course. 

I avoid having fish shipped all all costs. I want to see them before I buy and I don't want any more stress on them from shipping. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott

On 6/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Why not go to a local fish store and request what you want? I've done that many times. 

Heck, even Petco will try to get what you want in their next order if it's available of course. 

I avoid having fish shipped all all costs. I want to see them before I buy and I don't want any more stress on them from shipping. 

Yea, I tried but they couldn't order it. What is crazy is they have one in their display that is a male I am looking for. They said a customer had given it to them before but they wouldn’t sell it or trade it. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 12:19 AM, ChargerstoLA said:

Yea, I tried but they couldn't order it. What is crazy is they have one in their display that is a male I am looking for. They said a customer had given it to them before but they wouldn’t sell it or trade it. 

The one LFS near me I had a similar thing with. I gave the manager my phone number and asked them to pass it along to the other customer. I was lucky and that customer did call me and I was able to purchase the fish I was looking for directly from them. 

On 6/4/2022 at 2:56 AM, Guppysnail said:

The one LFS near me I had a similar thing with. I gave the manager my phone number and asked them to pass it along to the other customer. I was lucky and that customer did call me and I was able to purchase the fish I was looking for directly from them. 

I am going to have to try that.  It never processed in my mind that was a possibility. Now I have an “excuse” to go to the store today. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1