updated photos for flag fish with vertical spot

KittenFishMom

@Colu and @Fish Folk My husband went to the cottage and got some clearer photos of my poor flag fish.  I think she looks worse. I can not tell for sure, but I think her upper lip is gone. My husband isn't a fish person, but his photos are much better than mine.

I first treated the tank Monday night with a packet of Maracyn Monday evening and another before I left Tuesday morning, as well as adding 2 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt to the ten gallon tank after a 40% water change Monday before adding the Maracyn.

It is now Wednesday evening. Do you think I should add another packet, or is it time for clove oil for this poor fish?1018870822_ffishWedfront.jpg.e14df78d0acc16fc23f7c19c83ae9e1e.jpg

164099048_ffishWedLeft.jpg.61f08295d0c312410f0abf47c6b3cf3c.jpg

1129698594_flagfishWed.jpg.1de3eb19d221f3f1b316336a4da6262c.jpg

Could be Columnaris if the lip or mouth are starting to rot and the body sores the most effective treatment is kanaplex and jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone together following this treatment schedule 

Screenshot_20220510-012936~2.png

Edited by Colu

@ColuThis sounds very bad.

I can get the kanaplex  from Amazon on Friday.

I can't find the jungle fungus clear fizz tabs on Amazon. Do you know where I can buy them quickly on line?

I can't see how I can get to the fish for 5 consecutive days, once I get my hands on the 2 Rx-s.  Trying to drain and move the tank 30 minutes away will really stress the fish out, even if I bring the water that is in the tank with me.

Can the flag fish grow new lips?

Is Columnaris something that will wipe out my all guppies and tetras in that tank as well?

Will it live in the plants and my 4 sponge filters? or, if I treat the tank in the future, will the plant and filters become safe again?

This was the tank I had not put anything in that had touched anything from the lake. I was going to use these plants and fish to start my 55 gallon tank in the fall.  

I guess I am feeling rather overwhelmed. I'll post this and take some deep breaths and try to find a way to fit this in too.

I don't know the answer to most of your questions, I'm fairly new and am dealing with possibly something similar. I found some jungle fungus fizz tabs today at Walmart, idk if every Walmart has them I was kinda shocked to see them myself. Maybe one near you will have some. Totally feeling overwhelmed as well so I get that. Hope your fishy will be OK. 

Walmart does stock Jungle Fungus tabs. Since Furan 2 was discontinued, folks have resorted to using the Jungle tabs instead. They have been difficult to find because of this.

As for mouth rot, it is most likely Columnaris. I would follow Colu's advice, and start it as soon as you can. I had one fish with mouth rot. She lost most of her upper lip before I could stop it. With that being said, she still managed to eat, though it was more difficult to feed, and I had to spot feed her. She managed to suck in plenty of VibraBites, as that was the easiest for her to eat. She continued to look happy throughout.  I try to never euthanize, as there is always a chance of a rebound. I have had it happen, and it really feels rewarding, especially on a fish that you would've never guessed would survive.

@GisheryGoodness My Mom got sick in February and is now on hospice care at home, and my disabled son who lives with us has a cat which dying from a baseball sized mass in his abdomen. Mom and the cat are his only companions. I haven't been able to care for my fish well for months, so I am starting off pretty overwhelmed to start with. 

I will call local Walmart in the morning. I never notice much fish stuff there, but you never know.

@Colu @GisheryGoodness @quikv6 I ordered the Jungle tabs for pick up tomorrow at the local Walmart, and the kanaplex  from Amazon for Friday delivery.  My husband thinks we may be able to manage a daily treatment between the 2 of us.  We will get more bottled spring water for the water changes. (I still don't trust the well, haven't had a chance to get it fixed yet) 

Any recommendations on food to help with the healing process? I could hatch some baby brine shrimp.

Thanks for your support and encouragement!  Wish us luck !!!

• Love 1

Columnaris can survive in a tank with out a host for 30-35 days it very infectious so it more than likely already infected your other fish even if they aren't showing symptoms yet the treatment I have recommended is very effective at treating Columnaris good nutrition will help with their recovery  feeding them baby brine or frozen brine shrimp or daphnia or Cyclops and a good quality pellet or flake will help 

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Thanks 1

@Colu It is strange that Columnaris suddenly showed up. I haven't put anything living in that tank, just dry and frozen food since the end of February. I did put daphnia from the lake in the other tanks, but not in that tank before the problem started. I would think it would have to be introduced to the tank recently if it is very infectious and did not have symptoms for months.  Is it something that could have been lurking and recently became symptomatic due to stress from feeding lightly?

Some schools of thought are that the bacterial that causes Columnaris are already in fish tanks in small amounts when fish become stressed or sick weakening their immune system it leaves them susceptible to the  disease 

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Thanks 1

@Colu That school of thought fits the situation. I think the light feeding has been going on too long. Do you think I should treat my other tanks to be on the safe side, or do you think having loaded those tanks with lots of live daphnia may have boosted their immune system enough. There was still lots daphnia in swimming in the other tanks several days later.