Help-Oto Stuck in Net!

G Harnish

Good morning,

Excited to move my Otos out of QT this morning, but one got stuck in the net opening.

To get him back in the water, I cut away the net and here is what it looks like (on right, first photo; second is a close up)

Almost like the sucker is somehow lodged inside. Ideas on how to save this little fellow? We are trying to get tweezers on either side of the encirclement to stretch the netting but have not been successful yet. 

All ideas appreciated!

B6E5E0A6-F26F-4791-9DB1-39DA4AEC9DD7.jpeg

DED8D2B3-F387-4CED-8187-D5E25D35C876.jpeg

• Like 1

@G Harnish hello friend, welcome to the forum. 

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for these little guys to do this (trust me I have 70+ it has happened). Sometimes it is better/easier to catch them (if you can) in a solid container. I found also it's harder for them to get stuck too badly in a shrimp net (closer woven fabric) - not to say it won't still happen but it's a bit easier to get them detached. 

Now that he has a piece hanging, I'd catch him by hand and trying to stay under the water take some blunt tweezers and attempt to remove the net. It may be stressful or difficult- their little lips (and fins) are very spikey and this is why it happens. 

I know you already tried this but it is one of the better ways- however)*******if you have small cuticle scissors you can try to cut the net more but be very careful!

If you're able to remove it that way I'd keep him separated for a little while and make sure everything looks ok and gets a chance to calm down. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

I would not try tweezers anymore if I were you, the risk of damaging the fish is too great. Or at least try and use blunt ones like @xXInkedPhoenixX suggested.  When I worked at my LFS and catfish got stuck in our nets, we would free them by cutting the net with a razor blade. That is your best bet because it is precise and sharp. I would recommend having the little guy in a clear breeder box, cup or Tupperware container (whatever you can fit your fingers into), hold the net piece and stretch it as far from him as possible, and gently hack away at the net with the razor blade, starting at the part of the net closest to the fish and cutting away from the fish, not towards it. If you can't stretch the net at all, try starting to cut as close to the fish as possible, and with luck you can cut enough to where the fabric will break. Good luck and I hope you can get him out. 

Edited by Hannah Parker
  • Like 1

@Hannah Parker has a good tip- but that's very brave Hannah! I have a hard time using sharp objects near them. (which is why I'm even hesitant to mention cuticle scissors! 😱

Honestly too- cutting the net as you did (understandably) at first probably isn't the best idea- only because the smaller piece is going to be a little more difficult to get off- but I'm sure you can do it! 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Hannah Parker has a good tip- but that's very brave Hannah! I have a hard time using sharp objects near them. (which is why I'm even hesitant to mention cuticle scissors! 😱

Honestly too- cutting the net as you did (understandably) at first probably isn't the best idea- only because the smaller piece is going to be a little more difficult to get off- but I'm sure you can do it! 

Oh it was terrifying each time, but it always worked! That's how the owner told everyone to do it, of course if the fish is being still and you are very precise. What I liked about using the razor blade was that you could be very careful and make super small movements gradually, I would be too scared to use something like scissors. It's definitely whatever you are most comfortable with! Getting them out of nets is always such a tricky and stressful situation, it's hard to know what to do unless you see it with your own eyes. If you're uncomfortable with using something sharp I would definitely make that a last resort. 

@Hannah Parker ORD! LOL I don't think I could do razorblades or scissors! I agree, last resort!! 😱 Good luck @G Harnish!

For me the cuticle scissors seem logical because they are very small and typically curved, so if you can get the point between the fish and the net the sharp portions of the scissors are now theoretically not in danger of hitting the fish- getting the pointy part thru the net is the most difficult/dangerous part of that.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:06 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Hannah Parker ORD! LOL I don't think I could do razorblades or scissors! I agree, last resort!! 😱 Good luck @G Harnish!

For me the cuticle scissors seem logical because they are very small and typically curved, so if you can get the point between the fish and the net the sharp portions of the scissors are now theoretically not in danger of hitting the fish- getting the pointy part thru the net is the most difficult/dangerous part of that.

That makes sense! I didn't know they were that small, that would probably work quite well and not be as risky. 

On 6/1/2022 at 12:17 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yes, @Hannah ParkerI am thinking something old school like these: 

81IyM2N0OeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Scissors like those aren't usually much bigger than overall length 3-4" so the tip is typically half inch or less.

Those would work GREAT! They look super precise, I would definitely opt for those before a razor blade. Had no idea scissors like that existed! Every catfish owner and LFS should have those on hand. 

Thank you, thank you @Hannah Parker and @xXInkedPhoenixX

After I posted and did some quick web searches-I should not have been using a net and once he got stuck I should have cut a nice size square so I could help the fish stretch out of it.

In the end we tried tweezers and then resorted to a type of cuticle cutter (a heavy blunted one). Did it out of water and did manage to drop the fish 😞 After a couple of tries and giving him rests in the water I managed to snip it off of him without any of him coming off too, I think! Way too fine motor skills and close up vision for us and a stressful couple of hours for all. He is separated and will watch for a few days.

Thanjs again for the support and ideas!

• Like 1
  • Love 1