HELP Pointy Scales On Betta Fish

Camryn Lawrence

I have had a female dumbo betta fish, for about a year and a half. Lately ( past few days ) I have noticed that her scales are pointy. Her behavior hasn’t changed she is still active but that’s why I’m confused whether something is wrong or not because she is acting the same but she looks different. I know dropsy can have pointy scales so I’m wondering if this is a start to something. I tried fasting her and I also added aquarium salt to her tank. I tested her water and everything is still the same as it has been. ( I use testing strips ).

Her tank is 5 gallons, heated around 76 degrees. (In the pictures the light is really bright but that is just so I could get a good picture of her, I don't normally keep it on.) I would love to hear someone else’s opinion. Thanks 😊 

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

Edited by Camryn Lawrence

On 6/1/2022 at 6:28 AM, Camryn Lawrence said:

I have had a female dumbo betta fish, for about a year and a half. Lately ( past few days ) I have noticed that her scales are pointy. Her behavior hasn’t changed she is still active but that’s why I’m confused whether something is wrong or not because she is acting the same but she looks different. I know dropsy can have pointy scales so I’m wondering if this is a start to something. I tried fasting her and I also added aquarium salt to her tank. I tested her water and everything is still the same as it has been. ( I use testing strips ).

Her tank is 5 gallons, heated around 76 degrees. (In the pictures the light is really bright but that is just so I could get a good picture of her, I don't normally keep it on.) I would love to hear someone else’s opinion. Thanks 😊 

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

I don’t know of any other condition that causes pineconing except dropsy. She looks bloated as well. You should try quarantining and treating with antibiotics. If it is dropsy, there usually isn’t much you can do at this stage to save the fish. 

Edited by Zac
  • Like 1

Dropsy is a really tough one. It is a symptom, rather than a cause, which makes it extra difficult to treat. There was a member here who successfully treated a goldfish with it recently, so I would search for that thread.

My first go-to would be Kanaplex, both in the water column, and in the food. You can also do some Epsom salt baths to help reduce fluid.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 7:24 AM, quikv6 said:

Dropsy is a really tough one. It is a symptom, rather than a cause, which makes it extra difficult to treat. There was a member here who successfully treated a goldfish with it recently, so I would search for that thread.

My first go-to would be Kanaplex, both in the water column, and in the food. You can also do some Epsom salt baths to help reduce fluid.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:13 AM, Camryn Lawrence said:

Do you know of any good antibiotics to treat her with? Thank you Zac

Kanaplex or the fritz brand (I can’t recall the name off the top of my head. It starts with an M). The problem with dropsy is that if you do manage to treat it, there’s s good chance it will come back unless you eliminate whatever is causing it. My guess is there’s some sort of new stressor in the tank if you’ve had her for so long with no issues until recently. 

The most effective treatment I found for Dropsy is kanaplex in food to treat any possible internal bacterial infections metroplex to treat the water column as it treats aeromonas bacteria that can cause Dropsy and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons that will help reduce the fluid buildup 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

• Like 2

@ZacYes, I was just doing some research on the causes and I think it is because I moved her a few months ago. Like across states (10 hour drive) and I didn't think anything of it, but now that I've been reading things I think that is the main cause of it.

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME OUT 😊

Edited by Camryn Lawrence
  • Like 1

Dropsy.   That can a hard one to treat.

if she is eating I would try medicated foods as well as treatment.   Try removing all stress as well.  You will most likely need to figure out what the underlying cause is.  Could be a lot of different things or several things.   
Good Luck 

• Like 1