On 7/26/2023 at 9:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

Take care before adding Nibbles back to a treated tank since we don’t know what he is.  Nerites will be sensitive to it for a few months. Mystery snails for me have been fine after a few deep vacuums, a few large water changes and running Carbon for a week or two. 
Im also not certain how sensitive MTS will be. Bladder snails I’ve seen cruising about in full treatment. 

It is going to be a loooong time before snails get added back. Super nervous about that.

The medicine is called No Planaria. 

IMG_4922.jpeg
info page

Today is a small water change, then the shrimps continue to marinate in the medicated water for another week, then the carbon.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 5:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It is going to be a loooong time before snails get added back. Super nervous about that.

The medicine is called No Planaria. 

IMG_4922.jpeg
info page

Today is a small water change, then the shrimps continue to marinate in the medicated water for another week, then the carbon.

For some reason I thought you were using fenbendazole. 
I have never used no planaria. I did read mixed accounts of some say they put snails in right away after med removal and others say it killed the snails a month or more later. 
Having not used it myself I can’t say is it because they did not properly vacuum or use carbon or is it like FB and certain snails are just more sensitive. 
I would start a question topic. 
No planaria how long before reintroducing snails. 
Then in the text say looking for folks who have used it because I get mixed info. How long before adding and which types of snails did you have. 
That way folks that used it can tell you more instead of just internet half info. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 6:49 AM, Guppysnail said:

For some reason I thought you were using fenbendazole. 

I was back and forth between the fen and the No; I saw a lot of posts from people reporting success with the No. Then one day I emailed Mark’s Shrimp Tanks with a salt question re: scutariella Japonica. He answered the salt question but then also added his 2 cents and recommended the No Planaria as well and said of all the remedies he’s tried, it has been the most successful. It is also natural/plant based; it is made from Betelnut Palm extract. So I decided to go with that one. Seems both the Fen and the No have the adverse snail effects.

Keeping my Nibbles safe is top priority!

IMG_4169.jpeg

• Like 2

Oh boy! The Etsy order came with some shrimp goodies.

1 ordered 1 big lotus pod, they gave me 2.

Ordered 5 mini ones, got 6. The extra was smooshed looking but that’s ok.

And I ordered 5 banana leaves.

They also gave a free catappa leaf.

Nice touch by the seller!

IMG_4987.jpeg.3abd6297fca3218795f4da036bcb0875.jpeg

Oh and they also gave me this but idk what it is. I supposed I can look it up in their Etsy shop. (Update: Etsy shop doesn’t have these listed for sale)

IMG_4988.jpeg.fb9de46df3e5ec95a9cb3a119505b64a.jpeg

Then I tried to buy plants at LFS but theirs were melted, so I went to big box.

Bought this misc crypt.

IMG_4989.jpeg.b273945112a5f076461aaa3536f57deb.jpeg

But it was really 4 crypts.

IMG_4990.jpeg.875ea6d67c730a2127147a146546a612.jpeg

Also got this one.

IMG_4991.jpeg.e2eb18d62fff0a28b7c329fd4afdce70.jpeg

Which was also 4.

IMG_4992.jpeg.093b476960c0f0a39a58030068475639.jpeg

These plants are for Geppetto’s tank which has algae. After toying with lights and waiting for results, none came, so I chalked it up to not enough plants in the tank.

Oh and this moss ball that floats on fishing line. The moss looks very healthy submerged. It looks to me like Christmas moss or some other not-Java moss, idk. Included the rock weight. I will give it to the shrimps!

IMG_4993.jpeg.6c6bef347750a511d11cac98aa7f6fae.jpeg

And my order included a bladder snail for my Walstad jar and some trumpet snails for my trumpet snail “tank” ☺️

IMG_4995.jpeg.e2e7585b37af40742e11939aa49102ef.jpeg

I found about 3 more after this, and they all are in their homes. I macro lensed the water that I rinsed them with and saw some kind of worm thing I didn’t like. It moved crazy like the mosquito larva. Lastly, I have 3 pillbug-lookin things in a condiment cup. Idk what they are or if I will keep or RR them. They are tan with black stripes, kind of reminds me of a bumblebee. They skitter. VERY fast! They don’t like light and were trying to hide in gravel. They are too small/quick for a photo.

Here is the total for my 9 plants. Seems they may have forgotten to ring up one pot also?

IMG_4996.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/30/2023 at 4:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Moss UFO, lol

I'm just waiting for the diver to show up. 🙂

183035654_max.jpg.bdd384e6d9fabfe9d5eaad0646d27f73.jpg

Looks good! I'm excited to watch the moss grow and do it's thing though. The more people who succeed with moss it can take over the crown of easiest plant ever (sometimes).

• Haha 1

I put a mini lotus pod 🪷 into the wild tank. Several babies instantly used it for shelter. Some of the skinnier adults can fit too. I have big pods too but they are much too buoyant and are soaking. This one shown took 2 plant weights to sink after boiling, then soaking for a day. I was hoping to lay it on its side, but it will only sit upright.

IMG_5022.jpeg

IMG_5023.jpeg

IMG_5025.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Got the big lotus pod added. It had soaked several days, has 3 plant weights, and was still very floaty!  I think it kind of looks cool nestled in like this though. Pardon all the particulates…was a little bit of a challenge and it kicked up some stuff, lol.

IMG_5035.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg

It is really a lot of fun to see the shrimps go in and out of the pod.

IMG_5037.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Today is the final phase of treatment for scutariella japonica (besides a good siphoning which I plan to do this weekend), and that is to add carbon to the tanks as an aid to remove the No Planaria.

For the 10g I used a small Marina HOB with a cartridge and a co op media bag of carbon. I know this filter blows around shrimplets, so I added a baffle. I wasn’t 100% confident in the small, coarse PFS so I added a nylon to it for safety of the little ones.

IMG_5052.jpeg.6c8456b44372c907a135f34462064955.jpeg

IMG_5053.jpeg.02ade25a69ae91c757d6c2c2b0fb945b.jpeg

IMG_5058.jpeg.90b60533a53be3f43e84d051bdc0d183.jpeg

For the 5g I used this box filter. It was a bit of a challenge, seeing that every shrimp found it “extremely necessary” to be in, and return to, that corner of the tank. I ended up removing the lid because I noticed a shrimplet went in there and didn’t know how to get out. Also the lid was creating extra buoyancy. This unit is always initially buoyant and needs some runtime before that subsides. In general I don’t like this filter because it is a pain to maintain. It is good for quarantine applications, etc though.

IMG_5055.jpeg.834305ca31452b531ca9a61af7223fc1.jpeg

IMG_5057.jpeg.81a21760994f747bb2503389622dd5cc.jpeg
Look @nabokovfan87, filter mods and even a diagram! 🤣

The specimen container snail tank now has an official light.

IMG_5059.jpeg.e4952785a787f40ac0d20bc541b05694.jpeg

IMG_5060.jpeg.334435674734c03cedfc41b059518b95.jpeg

Lastly, a cute shrimp video for your enjoyment. ☺️ Happy Friday!

• Love 2

On 8/4/2023 at 5:35 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Look @nabokovfan87, filter mods and even a diagram! 🤣

I dig that filter. It works. It's like the "new" UGFs that mark has on his channel, but just s tiny version.  It works! 🙂

Also the lid was creating extra buoyancy. This unit is always initially buoyant and needs some runtime before that subsides. In general I don’t like this filter because it is a pain to maintain. It is good for quarantine applications, etc though.

Interesting....

I wonder if lava rock at the base or other media that might be a bit chonky would help with that. You can always glue a bid stainless steel washer to the base too!

Lastly, a cute shrimp video for your enjoyment. ☺️ Happy Friday!

Talk about jams! Nice song choice!

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:00 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I dig that filter

Which one? The hob?

I wonder if lava rock at the base or other media that might be a bit chonky would help with that.

The bottom part is a compartment with its own slotted lid (that sits under the sponges). Not a lot of space in there. For other types of media, I’d leave that middle lid off perhaps, but for the carbon I snapped the lid on because the carbon I have seems floaty.

You can always glue a bid stainless steel washer to the base too

Good idea! 

On 8/4/2023 at 1:15 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Which one? The hob?

Yeah, both work well for a shrimp tank.  I meant the corner one though. 🙂

On 8/4/2023 at 1:15 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The bottom part is a compartment with its own slotted lid (that sits under the sponges). Not a lot of space in there. For other types of media, I’d leave that middle lid off perhaps, but for the carbon I snapped the lid on because the carbon I have seems floaty.

Yeah, I think you sent me photos before and I was saying a bunch of "alright glue this and seal this and then...." comments.  I would love to build one of these, honestly.  Get a small 1G or 3-5G rimless and toss it in somewhere....

• Like 1

I tried out banana leaves for the shrimps. I boiled the and let them soak for a week to soften up a little. At first I had maybe 4 customers per tank. Today I get home and:

blue tank

IMG_5098.jpeg.82cad7fc1b334d03ebf213d848039bd9.jpeg

wild tank:

IMG_5099.jpeg.6ae2e7f794e25f39b8dce37223e567fa.jpeg

amd I hadn’t even fed the tanks today. So needless to say, banana leaves are not the favorite. Things may change as the leaves degrade. I guess time will tell.

• Like 1