On 6/8/2022 at 11:37 PM, Torrey said:

And they name the fish in their tank now, and even fed fish when I had surgery last fall. As in, they offered to feed the fish (flake food, but still!)

That's awesome!  I have a lot of work to do.  Getting my husband to watch snails hatching was out of the question. He's a gamer and prefers to absorb himself in that instead.  (I did text him a photo of a baby snail though. I couldn't help myself.)

However, when I scaped the tank (changed from gravel to sand, added driftwood & live plants) he did walk up to it and say, the tank looks pretty good! Also when I got the Bolivian Ram and added him to quarantine, I got hubby to come and see him.  So he's not a complete lost cause?  LOL

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

That's awesome!  I have a lot of work to do.  Getting my husband to watch snails hatching was out of the question. He's a gamer and prefers to absorb himself in that instead.  (I did text him a photo of a baby snail though. I couldn't help myself.)

However, when I scaped the tank (changed from gravel to sand, added driftwood & live plants) he did walk up to it and say, the tank looks pretty good! Also when I got the Bolivian Ram and added him to quarantine, I got hubby to come and see him.  So he's not a complete lost cause?  LOL

Your hubby sounds like mine. He is a news-aholic vs a gamer though. 

• Like 1

On today’s menu we have hard boiled egg yolk and Snello since yesterday’s menu was not popular. I also added a little more Java moss since some of them liked it.

I removed the unpopular algae wafers and cichlid pellet by using a syringe. Anything I sucked out was inspected in this dish to ensure no snails went along for the ride.

I also did a 1 cup “water change” for the breeder box. Used syringe for that too, high up in the middle box of the box away from everyone. New tank water automatically comes back in through the slats. I’m OCD about water quality.

C5B50577-37BF-4268-A7EA-F788341A103B.jpeg

EDEA7EFD-35BB-412C-8841-AD7CB5E5942D.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Getting my husband to watch snails hatching was out of the question. He's a gamer and prefers to absorb himself in that instead.  (I did text him a photo of a baby snail though. I couldn't help myself.)

Thanks i really had a good laugh   kinda reminds me of me and my ex hubby  but I  got admit he put up with my music obsession i dragged him  to a few concerts that he really did not want to go but he enjoyed after he got there ..even bought t-shirts and other merchandise ,,for himself.

Yes i am sure  i do not have the extra room I had to move furniture out to for my 55 gallon i have now  ,, my quarantine tank is in my bedroom,,   got leave that open for my older fish 

I could move my dog cage out  but then my house would be a mess when i got home better leave that intact..LoL 😂

but  i do have a emergency plastic rubbermaid tote in storage in garage   for emergency 🆘 that i have incase my tank starts leaking ,, ( like to prepared learn by past events )  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 8:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Getting my husband to watch snails hatching was out of the question. He's a gamer and prefers to absorb himself in that instead.  (I did text him a photo of a baby snail though. I couldn't help myself.)

Haha, that sounds like my husband. I did show him pictures of your snails last night though. Mostly to annoy him. We were sitting on the couch together both trying to be obnoxious.

• Haha 1

I’m happy to report that the snails are eating the hard boiled egg yolk! Also as an added bonus, when I added it, it turned the breeder box into a “snow globe” and coated the walls. I have about 31 snails on the walls and 3 on the bottom, so wall coating food is good. 

It looks nasty but it benefits them.

I definitely put too much but will try to measure better next time as I get to know them. 🙂

E43E73B7-0338-4CC4-AD05-B54EC8E60259.jpeg

• Love 1

How many of you forgot about clutch 2? 😉

I siphoned some food out of the breeder box. I way overfed. Some people say they clean the breeder box once a week, but I don’t feel comfortable leaving food in there that long. Wouldn’t it foul the water?

Anyway, here’s all the garbage I siphoned out with the syringe. (2 snails went for a ride and were safely returned.)

And here is the breeder box after. A snow globe hot mess. Look for the gang climbing the walls. They are a little darker than the egg.

Mostly everyone is on the walls eating the egg dust.

B16D8772-62B8-40DA-A15F-C884678CB64C.jpeg

05E79FA2-1D22-4DC7-9FFF-A272BABCE130.jpeg

38A7D99D-9730-4DD2-8688-EEFA98FCFF9E.jpeg

For egg yolk I clean out daily. If I overfeed I clean out sooner. You will get a feel for how much your horde will consume so there is always a touch present but not to much. If it’s a floating breeder in an established tank with good flow through its not as critical.  If doing a bare bottom specialty “naked” new setup it is much harder and I don’t recommend especially once they hit grow out stage. 
I like to do floating breeders in the established planted tank they will grow out in. Each time they move tanks even with seeming exact same parameters it causes a line on the shell.  Naked setups tend to do this as well because parameters fluctuate more. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:01 AM, Guppysnail said:

For egg yolk I clean out daily. If I overfeed I clean out sooner. You will get a feel for how much your horde will consume so there is always a touch present but not to much. If it’s a floating breeder in an established tank with good flow through its not as critical.  If doing a bare bottom specialty “naked” new setup it is much harder and I don’t recommend especially once they hit grow out stage. 
I like to do floating breeders in the established planted tank they will grow out in. Each time they move tanks even with seeming exact same parameters it causes a line on the shell.  Naked setups tend to do this as well because parameters fluctuate more. 

That's what I was thinking too about food removal, @Guppysnail.  And I also had a thought that since I'm siphoning things out with the irrigation syringe, maybe I can also siphon new food in with it. That way I have more control over quantity fed and I can keep track of it.  What I added yesterday was half of an egg yolk, so I know it's definitely less than that. I also siphoned out a lot of the Snello. The Snello was the size of a square ice cube.

@Guppysnail these guys ARE going to a grow out tank, but the sponge filter is not ready yet; it's been seeding since 6/1 in the main tank here. I want it to seed for one month. However, when it is ready, I am putting the sponge filter into the 10gal, and ALL OF THE 10 gallon water will be directly from the 29-gallon that same day.

I have been giving some thought about testing the sponge filter prior to snail transfer. I want to stress the sponge filter. To do this, I will put a small chunk of raw fish or shrimp from the grocery store into the tank to let it rot. I would like to see if ammonia spikes and a cycle happens.  After this process though, a complete drain out. Then 29-gallon water, then snails.

I think doing this is better than having something bad happen with parameters once the snails are in that tank.

@Guppysnail have you used a net breeder or a plastic breeder in the past with your snails?

On 6/10/2022 at 8:24 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

will put a small chunk of raw fish or shrimp

You do not want to do this. Things will grow you do not want in the tank. Throw in a pice of lettuce or green bean switch it out every 24 hours. 

I use a bamboo bbq skewer. I moisten it dip it in the food then swish in the tank repeat a few time to get desired amount. 

On 6/10/2022 at 8:24 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

have you used a net breeder or a plastic breeder in the past with your snails?

No. I hatch in a floating container and put them in a bare bottom seasoned tank with lots of plant and pothos. I have used unseasoned tanks as well set up this way I just have to monitor due to needing to add more food

On 6/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use a bamboo bbq skewer. I moisten it dip it in the food then swish in the tank repeat a few time to get desired amount. 

That's a good idea!  You have so many great tips.

On 6/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

You do not want to do this. Things will grow you do not want in the tank. Throw in a pice of lettuce or green bean switch it out every 24 hours.

Thank you @Guppysnail, oh wise one!

Might add sand to grow out tank?  It would probably feel nice on their lil feet? I realize more cleaning though.

Also, who wants to see something cute? Turn sound on &  Click

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 12:08 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I am upset. I believe I killed a snail while cleaning the rest of the egg out of the box. When I pressed down on my syringe, the baby which I didn’t know was in there, suffered a damaged shell. It had somehow floated into the area where the two tubes slide against each other. I told you how small these are. They are like little pinheads. I have her in a white dish hoping to see some movement. Perhaps I have been too hands-on with the breeder box. I’m just worried about food that could rot and water quality. 😔

Aw!  It’s ok! These things will happen♥️image.png.a25c95a969aba0aeadf1150811942840.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took out the green bean I gave them yesterday. There didn’t seem to be any interest. I replaced it with a new one though along with some calcium chip, powdered. And just a touch of egg yolk, swirled around to coat the sides. York was on high alert and within minutes was trying to get into the breeder box to get the green bean. So I had to give her her very own special green bean. 🙄

This lady was floating? I put her in a dish and used my magnifying glass to watch her. She righted herself and put her little antennae out and started cruisin so she was returned to the box.

See all the little dots on the sides of the box? That’s the gang. 🐌

10A4F76E-1899-4EA6-A581-3152CB6A9824.jpeg

49A4ADC1-E822-44FA-9AEF-028281C4479A.jpeg

80ABCC38-1207-457C-9E36-87762E7C991B.jpeg

B442848C-3516-4AE3-B7AE-1516AFC02B92.jpeg

7A03391F-8606-4023-B9F4-CB47FDA542F9.jpeg

6696950C-1162-46E4-A47C-22140939E571.jpeg

0B11DB10-65E2-4193-9560-5FF9E402B1DB.jpeg

to condense the post.