On 6/8/2022 at 9:29 AM, sweetpoison said:

if I get one mystery snail am I going to be inundated with 1 million little babies everywhere?  I blessed once in my 55 gallon with a KAZILLION Baby snails. It was awful.

No.  The worst that will happen is they lay eggs if female that may or may not be fertile from a coupling prior to you receiving them.  The clutched are laid above the water line for easy removal and disposal.  They cannot hatch underwater if they fall in. 

Now will York eat that entire carrot?

Will she go to the top with it or just walk around and nibble?

She probably would; she is a little oinker! But I read somewhere that snails can eat until they experience discomfort, so after 3 hours I took it away.  She stayed on the bottom with it, but carried it here & there. It was too cute and funny. I just love watching her. Yesterday she was parasnailing off the glass and the driftwood. She takes shortcuts to the bottom of the tank; she just lets go of whatever she is on. Sometimes I think she lands kind of awkwardly, but then she just keeps cruisin' along.

question for you since you’re the expert

I'm the noob. I think @Guppysnail is the expert. She's hatched snails before and has been super helpful with sharing her knowledge, experience, and tips!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 6/7/2022 at 12:09 AM, Torrey said:

You just named The Reluctant Nerm's™ childhood trauma. Abuelita had one of the illegal pomme variety that get big... like apple, or kid's fist sized big. Abuelita would reward it for coming up to say hello, by feeding it hot dog

LOL! Oh my goodness!

[formerly Patient Spouse™, upgraded to Reluctant Nerm™

Can you send me the upgrade instructions? I seem to have an older model who shorts out when I say the “S word”. I told him it’s only gonna get worse when these eggs hatch, because I will have like 100 “S” things to discuss. 

Of course, Houdini (zebra nerite) went on walk-a-bout first night here.... earning Houdini his name as well as his place in spouse's T4' tank: it has a locking lid

That’s a fantastic name for a Nerite. Half the time I don’t know where mine is. He’s super stealthy. This is what I did to cover my gaps; it’s plastic mesh found in the crafting section - 6 sheets for less than 3 bucks. It works for adult snails but I wouldn’t recommend it for baby snails. 

19601316-77CE-453E-B6FC-A09A992E8D31.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

York visits

1A1A5FC0-6F9E-4CA9-9AB8-62D1DB5F8B73.jpeg

I thought she was interested in the babies, but I realized she smelled the food. So I gave her a boiled cucumber.

FDF8787D-9820-4F67-AA8E-A4E66CBD5F89.jpeg

She is huge!!!  We use to call them Apple Snails.  How many babies are there?

About 20 now and some still hatching. This is not a big clutch. I have another also. I’m nervous!

I put a little Java moss in and some babies have latched onto that. And a piece of boiled cucumber. Just a small piece. I haven’t seen anyone eat the algae wafers, sinking pellet, or calcium yet, but they just ate their eggs so I guess it is OK.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 6/8/2022 at 6:50 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I am not sure why they are not eating? I guess they need to explore first.

Actually I think it’s because they just chewed out of their eggs and might have full bellies.

On instinct they seek biofilm, and soft algae as a first food. It takes them a bit  to figure out wafers are food. I steam veggies mushy for them and they find those quicker for me. I also use sera micron, spirulina powder(I think it’s dr Tim’s)/and first bites to sort of coat surfaces for them. The babies are adorable but not the sharpest tools in the shed. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, Guppysnail said:

I also use sera micron, spirulina powder(I think it’s dr Tim’s)/and first bites to sort of coat surfaces for them.

One of the many baby mystery snail videos I've watched in the last week said they have to crush the food up very small for them at this stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you guys are wanting me to have babies 😂 but i do not have the space for another tank ,,, but i get a clutch every 1-2 weeks i have some frisky babies ,,,
York caring the carrot  is so cute i never saw mine carry  anything but they come out running from hiding every time i add a vegetable 

my yellow gold is a little piggy  and she is getting big 

• Love 1

I'm ORD 😍😍😍

The hack to the upgrade (in my case) was honoring the squicks and being very, very, VERY careful not to accidentally trigger. It's taken living in the same place (since 2014), with fish in aquariums that I never asked   them to look at or acknowledge, and *never* to watch me feed, before I got permission to put a 4' in their room for me to "build a practice scape" for the dining room tank.

I scaped everything based on what they had shared over the years we have been together:

• Largest rocks closer to the bed, followed by gravel, followed by sand, to create more "depth" of view when they are relaxing in bed
  • Carefully making sure no mold, mildew, water spills, etc
  • No feeding live foods, or frozen worms, when spouse is home
  • Keep clean so there's no smell
  • Start their tank with so few fish (6 endlers in a 4' tank) they didn't get overwhelmed sensory wise with too much movement
  • Plant heavily enough, sometimes all they see is plants
  • ABSOLUTELY ZERO THINGS TO TRIGGER THE TRYPTOPHOBIA

So far, so good! And they name the fish in their tank now, and even fed fish when I had surgery last fall. As in, they offered to feed the fish (flake food, but still!)

• Like 2