Ram Cichlid - group?

Flowerhorn_K

Do you know what kind of Rams @Flowerhorn_K? I recently started keeping a solo Bolivian but in my research 4-6 was recommended (if kept in groups). I also learned Rams for the most part are relatively peaceful (my Bolivian has been very well behaved with my Rasboras and Tetras)- the only time aggression would come out is if you get a breeding pair- even then they say they only are territorial around their nest area so if there is room there theoretically should be no issues.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

@xXInkedPhoenixXThey're listed as Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, or the blue ram. I have a few options with the color type though. 

Yeah, I was also thinking about aggression from a breeding pair, but I don't know how a group dynamic would affect this. I've also heard rams are usually peaceful too, thank you for your comment! 

• Love 1

They like warm water around 80 degrees or more, they like soft water pH less than 7 although if born into a tank with higher parameters they will do fine if yours is above 7. They can get boisterous flaring and chasing to establish dominance and depending on the size of the tank may need to remove an extra male or female depending on how things go but as long as there is enough room and sight breaks it should work out. They will often pick a corner where they can find a smooth surface to lay and fertilize their eggs - smooth stone, amazon sword leaf. They are usually really solid citizens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 1:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'm wondering @Wrencher_Scott do you know what genders you have? I have been pondering whether there'd be any benefit to having 2. I'm leaning against it since I only have a 20 gallon but curious if you might have 2 of the same gender and how they act.

Sorry I have no idea. I tried researching them but gave up, I just can't tell. 

Oh, also. The water temp and hardness is not all that important. Within reason of course. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What size aquarium? 
I have 5 black rams in a 46 gallon bow front.  They are small/young, maybe a inch - inch and a half.  So far all is good.  They are starting to flash/display at each other but that is it.  

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 6:48 AM, Flowerhorn_K said:

@Brian My tank size is 65 gallons, the dimensions are similar to a 75 gallon though. 

I think I might go ahead with a group of 6, reading all the comments, it sounds interesting to see how a group would interact. 

Rams do require very clean water, as in lots of biofiltration. 

I think they will be fine in a large tank like that. Just give them hiding places. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 3:36 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Rams do require very clean water, as in lots of biofiltration. 

I think they will be fine in a large tank like that. Just give them hiding places. 

It's kinda funny you mention that because I'm struggling to keep nitrates high for my plants currently 😂

But thank you for the tip! I might rescape the tank soon to create more hiding places.

On 6/1/2022 at 10:30 AM, Flowerhorn_K said:

It's kinda funny you mention that because I'm struggling to keep nitrates high for my plants currently 😂

But thank you for the tip! I might rescape the tank soon to create more hiding places.

Clean water doesn't mean just low nitrates. It means clear bacteria free water, this is done with lots of biofiltration. 

On 5/31/2022 at 1:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'm wondering @Wrencher_Scott do you know what genders you have? I have been pondering whether there'd be any benefit to having 2. I'm leaning against it since I only have a 20 gallon but curious if you might have 2 of the same gender and how they act.

I have a 36ish gallon with a school of diamond tetras and 2 Bolivian Rams. They do great. They like to try to intimate each other occasionally, but sometimes they're friends and hang out together.

Edited by Corbidorbidoodle
  • Love 1

I have a group of 5 adult Bolivian rams in a well planted 40 gal breeder,  and another set of 4 in a 30 gal long, again well planted, they like to have barriers from each other.   

One tank is 3 males and 2 females, and the other tank 3 males and one female.  2 of the males like to stay together and 1 male has paired off with a female.   If I noticed any pronounced bickering I just switched fish until both tanks worked.. they seem to be compatible now.  I'd bred these ones myself. 

When they were teenagers they were really well behaved and didn't stay out all night!  😉

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 4.36.59 PM.png

Edited by Trish
  • Love 1