Finally!

Ken Burke

Almost done!   And boy howdy, I’m tired 😴
I had to shift the 20 and 38 down, so that took some time.  There’s a flat rock in the center of the tank sitting on a thin bed of fine gravel from the old tank.  I laid in a bed of eco-complete (1.25 bags).ED4ED9BE-6A74-431E-90AE-8B4F7FAEEAB3.jpeg.688b3c99995791c461c7535cecd957af.jpeg

Next I capped the eco-complete with the gravel from the 20 long, capped with the gravel in front of the tank in the picture above.  FC9E9A08-EAFE-4EE7-9F0A-A3BFCD88B3A2.jpeg.38a1d27838a71bfc37d812daade92776.jpeg

hard scape in, plants from the old tank installed, and filling!

AC60FF10-2A39-4CFD-B1B8-561FEB940133.jpeg.1697fc5ef92cc3153f3ba4db1aa04904.jpeg

I have several swords on order since I don’t think the crypts can handle the heat.

3DF8D91B-C5C3-4023-B6AD-D2A356EFB236.jpeg

Oops forget, I put a layer of about 7 lbs of crushed coral between the eco-complete and the fine gravel.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The waiting is the hardest part!  Not even a week into the new tank, and I’m struggling to resist the compulsion to fill it with fish!  

I installed a canister filter on Monday, and while the water is crystal clear, I know it’s not ready.  

249B752D-B09F-4AF7-9023-5781C6C847F4.jpeg.fb9435994abc111d0f9f504ca06442a4.jpeg4FDE896C-9B74-46A6-9388-91388FE1C25D.jpeg.20a245726c6a01fafbf3dc7fcd10b644.jpegThe waiting is the hardest part!  Not even a week into the new tank, and I’m struggling to resist the compulsion to fill it with fish!  

I installed a canister filter on Monday, and while the water is crystal clear, I know it’s not ready.  

The second picture really shows the results of the painted background.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 6/8/2022 at 9:10 PM, Odd Duck said:

Liking that background.  Is that a white wizard snail?  How do you like them?

It’s a Japanese trap door. Very hardy.  They over-wintered in my tub, and reproduce reliably. I started with 3 or four, probably have a couple dozen between my tub and 4 tanks

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:17 PM, Ken Burke said:

It’s a Japanese trap door. Very hardy.  They over-wintered in my tub, and reproduce reliably. I started with 3 or four, probably have a couple dozen between my tub and 4 tanks

Ah.  My trapdoors are darker and I honestly don’t see them much.  I’m also wondering if my Kuhli loaches are hitting the babies.

I need to get more where there are no Kuhli loaches and grow some up.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 8:41 PM, Ken Burke said:

249B752D-B09F-4AF7-9023-5781C6C847F4.jpeg.fb9435994abc111d0f9f504ca06442a4.jpeg4FDE896C-9B74-46A6-9388-91388FE1C25D.jpeg.20a245726c6a01fafbf3dc7fcd10b644.jpegThe waiting is the hardest part!  Not even a week into the new tank, and I’m struggling to resist the compulsion to fill it with fish!  

The second picture really shows the results of the painted background.

you folks with the patience to wait, ill give you credit. i dont possess that level of patience. once that thing hit room temperature, id have fish in it.

• Haha 1

That is looking great.  
A couple of things.  I have never waited to put fish in.  In fact I don’t think I’ve waited more than a day or two.  Especially since you have other tanks and used gravel from one of them.  I would always just add my stock slowly, feed very little and test.  Also I kept a couple different crypts at high temperatures.  What I did is I kept them in the pots they came in placed them  in a different tank with temperature around 77-78, and over a month or so I would get them up to my main tank.  
But that really Good.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, Ken Burke said:

Oops forget, I put a layer of about 7 lbs of crushed coral between the eco-complete and the fine gravel.

are you running a canister?

On 6/8/2022 at 6:34 PM, Ken Burke said:

As a hobbyist who very much appreciates black/dark substrate, I wonder what your setup is for canister and highly encourage you to run the crushed coral in the canister compared to on the substrate. Even to run powders/buffers compared to a layered substrate.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 3:59 AM, Brian said:

That is looking great.  
A couple of things.  I have never waited to put fish in.  In fact I don’t think I’ve waited more than a day or two.  Especially since you have other tanks and used gravel from one of them.  I would always just add my stock slowly, feed very little and test.  Also I kept a couple different crypts at high temperatures.  What I did is I kept them in the pots they came in placed them  in a different tank with temperature around 77-78, and over a month or so I would get them up to my main tank.  
But that really Good.

Actually I have a couple snails, and a single panda Cory that snuck in.  I really want to savor this part. I won’t get to set up a new tank for a long time.

On 6/9/2022 at 4:09 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

are you running a canister?

As a hobbyist who very much appreciates black/dark substrate, I wonder what your setup is for canister and highly encourage you to run the crushed coral in the canister compared to on the substrate. Even to run powders/buffers compared to a layered substrate.

Yes, running a can with about a pound of crushed coral

it’s an aqueon 300 so the flow is bottom to top.  On the bottom tray I’m using the sponge and charcoal that came with the filter.  I’ll replace it with more sponge in 30 days or so.  The top tray has the ceramic that came with the unit, some matrix I had laying around and a bag of ceramic from my tidal.  

the filter really gets the water moving, maybe too fast.  I think I’m going to instal the “polish filter” this weekend to see if that works better.

I also need to order a pre filter for the intake.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2022 at 8:18 PM, Ken Burke said:

I have several swords on order since I don’t think the crypts can handle the heat.

Swords are great for handling the higher discus level temps, but your crypts should be fine. I had them in my discus setup & they stayed as full as yours currently are now.
Congratulations & good luck making your dream come true!

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:22 PM, Tazalanche said:

Swords are great for handling the higher discus level temps, but your crypts should be fine. I had them in my discus setup & they stayed as full as yours currently are now.
Congratulations & good luck making your dream come true!

So far, the crypts are going well.  The swords, not so much.  They were a little beat up when they arrived.