BN pleco with skin discoloration

Jonny93s

My pleco jumped out his tank about two days ago, I was working on another tank nearby and the lights came on I’m assuming that tattled him and led to his jump, if that’s correct he was out of the water for about ~40 minutes, he was extremely dry when I found him but when I grabbed him he flinched so I dropped him back in the water and slowly he started moving around and it seemed like he might make a recovery however yesterday i realized his eyes look sunken into his eye sockets but comparing it to an old photo I think his head might be swollen and today he looked extremely pale, and red/scarred. I’ve seen some snails Get on him and he’s very lethargic and would not fight or move away to the point I was able to pick it up with my hand and separate him into this small breeder box. I’m not sure if there’s an infection or disease or could it be so to him being out of the water  for so long; he are a few more pictures. 

Is there anything I can do?

It’s tanks parameters are:

Nitrate 10pm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Hardness: hard ~150-300

Buffer: medium ~80-120

Ph 7.2

Chlorine 0 ppm

Ammonia 0 ppm

7C2C89DE-BE1F-47B3-9233-58B40FBCA536.jpeg

C313611F-6083-4241-BBB4-BEF8424C9E75.jpeg

92713A84-66F2-42FC-AD87-2CBDA130CFA0.jpeg

374CAE3E-656B-45A7-943D-FDAE30CFB0C4.jpeg

• Sad 1

He looks badly injured to me I would treat with kanaplex cover against any possible secondary bacterial infections and a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons at that level it shouldn't harm your plants and will add essential electrolytes and aid Gill function 

• Like 2

@Jonny93s! Oh my gosh your poor Pleco! 😞 I think @Colu has the perfect plan. Something like API Stress Coat (it has aloe in it that may help with his slime coat that I'm sure is dried up) might help too but I'd definitely go with salt and Kanaplex- and anything good and healthy you can get him to eat. Keep his water super clean. Really hope the little one makes it!

Keep us updated please!

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 3:02 PM, Jonny93s said:

It’s tanks parameters are:

Nitrate 10pm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Hardness: hard ~150-300

Buffer: medium ~80-120

Ph 7.2

Chlorine 0 ppm

Ammonia 0 ppm

What is the temp by chance?

If it's decently high (say 78+), you might give him a slightly easier time by moving him to a QT tank setup, slightly dropping temp, increase oxygenation (airstone) and then by feeding something like repashy soilent green, repashy community plus, or vita chem.  It looks like fin rot and bacterial issues where erythromycin will help and the added high nutrient food will really help.

Edited by nabokovfan87
fix store link

On 5/30/2022 at 4:24 PM, Jonny93s said:

its at 76 degrees he basically has the tank to himself except for some ramshorn; so I can treat the tank 

it's not "too warm" but I would think the BN will appreciate it slightly lower if possible. 74 or so should do fine.  If you have the stuff to do it, I would potentially add one/another airstone for the time being as well.

Paracleanse is for parasites which we know he doesn't have- so no need to add meds that could potentially add stress to an already weakened fish- but I totally get the panic. Do you mean you added Maracyn? If that's the case something like that can be ok if you don't have Kanaplex. Kanaplex is broader spectrum and I've had really good results with it. 

I would do a water change then redose with either Maracyn or the Kanaplex if you have it. You can use it in the water column but it can also be dosed in food, @colu has that recipe (can search the forum and it will come up). I would do as @nabokovfan87 says adding an airstone won't hurt that's for sure and still do the aquarium salt.