Fluval Co2 indicator

Twigflinger

Has anyone used this?  I have had one in the tank for a month or 2.  Never seen it actually turn green.  More of a bluegreen.  I had the bubble counter at several bubbles per second but was afraid to go any higher.  Lost 2 neon tetras so i turned it down slightly.  The other 2 have been fine the last few weeks.  Not sure if the tetras dying was Co2 related, parasites or something else..  I have misplaced the refill liquid so now I am debating getting a different indicator and liquid.  Is all liquid the same or are some brands better than others?

Question.

How long does the solution last.  Monthly for in the checker (usually) but the bottle itself. When do I need to go and just buy more / dispose of the old bottle?

I added mine to my tank, CO2 will be there soon. And I have 2 Dennerle CO2 tests to verify results of the checker once I add it.

If your drop checker is blue green, then you are low on CO2. You will be close to 30ppm when the checker is lime yellow. If the drop checker is blue green, then the CO2 did not kill your fish.

When CO2 is too high, the fish will swim to the surface and be gasping. They will then begin passing out which would eventually end in a slow death.

Thanks guys this is all great information.  I guess I will order more solution.  I do want to experiment a little bit and bubble co2 directly into the indicator to see it change.  I have been pretty cautious with raising co2 levels so far but still noticed an increase in plant growth.  Algae still sticking around though.  Last week I started increasing potassium and phosphate doing.

Just picked up the NilocG glass indicator. Will check it in 2 hours.  how quickly should I increase bubble rate until it turns green?  I have heard that wild swings can cause algae issues.  Got some thread algae multiple inches long making a mess in moss that I am hoping increased Co2 will take  care of.

On 6/6/2022 at 12:48 PM, Twigflinger said:

Just picked up the NilocG glass indicator. Will check it in 2 hours.  how quickly should I increase bubble rate until it turns green?  I have heard that wild swings can cause algae issues.  Got some thread algae multiple inches long making a mess in moss that I am hoping increased Co2 will take  care of.

The current color is from about 2 hours in the past.