Cycle gone

Got my first 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 15nitrate reading after dosing ammonia. Dosed again to double check prior to adding fish, both ammonia and nitrites were zero but nitrates were around 30. Did a 20% water change with a bucket that’s treated with prime and has been sitting for about a week. Checked everything today and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates, and Ph -6. My Ph has consistently been at 7 in the tank so I got concerned with the drop. Check my tap and it’s 7.4. Checked the bucket and it’s -6. Anyone else have the same issues with sitting water? What do I do now? I got crushed coral coming to hopefully save my cycle?

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

Ok. Just want to be sure that I’m following you correctly here.

Just for clarity, when you compare pH 7.4 with “pH -6,” I assume you’re just meaning “pH 6.”

Do you have any plants in the aquarium yet?

Out of the tap, water parameters settle. Either they curve upward, or dip down. Aquarium conditions (e.g. substrate, acid from decay, additives, etc.) can affect the trajectory of water from the tap as well.

Generally speaking, if your water is soft, your pH is liable to drop. This will not necessarily affect your cycle — per your concern.

Ammonia becomes Ammonium at some level (maybe ca. 6.4 pH) but this is not a major problem unless of course the livestock you’ve chosen to keep requires higher pH.

I learned awhile ago not to force my water into a state it doesn’t come naturally from my tap.

As a result of my soft water (like yours), I am able to easily keep these…

B4FAFA4A-8A07-450A-8DF1-B39613848A95.jpeg.92938f001961a878060f5fbb5bcef862.jpeg

3B30A611-4525-4484-B5A7-6C43BEBA2FFF.jpeg.e402cb409c14db95b0a913c0431d3674.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:47 AM, Fish Folk said:

Ok. Just want to be sure that I’m following you correctly here.

Just for clarity, when you compare pH 7.4 with “pH -6,” I assume you’re just meaning “pH 6.”

Do you have any plants in the aquarium yet?

Out of the tap, water parameters settle. Either they curve upward, or dip down. Aquarium conditions (e.g. substrate, acid from decay, additives, etc.) can affect the trajectory of water from the tap as well.

Generally speaking, if your water is soft, your pH is liable to drop. This will not necessarily affect your cycle — per your concern.

Ammonia becomes Ammonium at some level (maybe ca. 6.4 pH) but this is not a major problem unless of course the livestock you’ve chosen to keep requires higher pH.

I learned awhile ago not to force my water into a state it doesn’t come naturally from my tap.

As a result of my soft water (like yours), I am able to easily keep these…

B4FAFA4A-8A07-450A-8DF1-B39613848A95.jpeg.92938f001961a878060f5fbb5bcef862.jpeg

3B30A611-4525-4484-B5A7-6C43BEBA2FFF.jpeg.e402cb409c14db95b0a913c0431d3674.jpeg

So I put -6 because the master test kit only goes as low as 6 so it could be under?

I have two anubias and one Java fern in my 10gal. I was hoping to get a betta so the Ph should be around 7

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 5:47 AM, Newbie said:

Did a 20% water change with a bucket that’s treated with prime and has been sitting for about a week.

Just clarifying here.

You have water in a bucket for a week?  Was it Aerated?

Check my tap and it’s 7.4. Checked the bucket and it’s -6. Anyone else have the same issues with sitting water?

Yes.  It's very likely just due to the water sitting without flow.  The major thing is going to be the interaction between KH, PH, and CO2.

I was running a test this week, I had my tank reporting 300+ for GH and then magically I had soft water.  Depending on setup, your results will vary.  How was the bucket setup?

I got crushed coral coming to hopefully save my cycle?

I think there might be some confusion here, but I want to clarify the above first. You're cycle is going to be based off of filtration and other factors.  Water chemistry swings do happen and that's partially why we do water changes.

Edit:  If you are having PH swings like this, it's going to be useful to report out KH, GH, PH data from:
A.  Out of the tap, test
B.  Sample above, Aerate for 24 hours, re-test
C.  Take a sample from your tank, test.

If you are mainly concerned about cycle, that's a different issue/question to dive into.

Edited by nabokovfan87
testing clarity
  • Like 1