Mag Float Misadventures

Tanked

It has ben a little over a year since I bought my medium Mag Float.  It is actually kind of fun to use. It has a magnet and it floats.  What could possibly go wrong? 
After using it the first time, one side disappeared for two weeks I found it stuck to the underside of a plastic parts bin.  Who looks for a magnet on the underside of a plastic box?   Months later I was cleaning the glass and realized that I was leaving fine scratches. The float had found the razor blade that I use to scrape the tough stuff.  Stupid move on my part.  

Now the real issue:  Today I'm cleaning the glass and start finding large patches of adhesive on the outside of the aquarium.  The felt pad is peeling off of the dry side of the Mag Float.  A paper towel between the felt and the glass offered a temporary fix.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is a replacement pad available?

On 5/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, Tanked said:

Is a replacement pad available?

Yes they do sell them.  Might be cheaper just to get a replacement.  I've taken to literally using 1/2 of it at once when I do WC and scraping by hand.  If you have a larger tank, might end up being easier to use both parts.  If you're leaving scratches, it's likely substrate or something stuck on the pad from it's adventures.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Felt-Mag-Float-510A-Acrylic/dp/B001EL91EU/ref=sr_1_54?keywords=Mag-Float&qid=1653788797&sr=8-54

On 5/28/2022 at 9:33 PM, BigJ said:

You could probably just glue some regular crafts felt on once you get the old stuff off

I have thought for quite a while that the felt pad should be a litter thicker. I'm going to look a little deeper into some craft felt, but I suspect that it will not be cost effective.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yes they do sell them.  Might be cheaper just to get a replacement.  I've taken to literally using 1/2 of it at once when I do WC and scraping by hand.  If you have a larger tank, might end up being easier to use both parts.  If you're leaving scratches, it's likely substrate or something stuck on the pad from it's adventures.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Felt-Mag-Float-510A-Acrylic/dp/B001EL91EU/ref=sr_1_54?keywords=Mag-Float&qid=1653788797&sr=8-54

The ACO doesn't have them and I've never seen replacements in the stores.  It never occurred to me to check Amazon.  The replacement pad seems to be more cost effective because eventually I will also have to replace the scrubbing pad.

I leave mine and in the aquarium.   Back in a corner behind some driftwood and plants.  
I also love using mine to clean my glass lids.    It is so much easier than removing lids weekly and taking to laundry tub to wash and remove algae….

On 5/29/2022 at 4:05 PM, Brian said:

It is so much easier than removing lids weekly and taking to laundry tub to wash and remove algae….

I never considered using it on the lids. I'll have to give that a try.