Neo Shrimp Dying 1 by 1.

TimmG

Posted yesterday about Indian almond leaf lowering PH too much in tank. Got down to lowest readable PH of 6.0 bright yellow in the tube. Took leaf out, 50% water change, then let it sit for a few hours. 1 shrimp died after water change. Tested water after, and PH was 6.4ish. GH was 6, KH was 3 and the 3 necessary 0's were 0's. Let it sit overnight. In the morning PH was back down to 6.0. And 2 more shrimp dead. Along with all 8 mollys huddling in a corner barely moving. Looked online on how to raise PH.  Settled on baking soda. Added 3/4tsp and made it to PH of 7. Fish are "happily" swimming about and eating now. Another shrimp died though. And now the water is cloudy. I think I only have 3-4 shrimp left. And I have 30 more coming next week. What the heck can/should I do? I know the hobby is a steep learning curve, but at $5 a shrimp it is a VERY expensive steep learning curve. 

It could likely be due to the parameter change, I have heard that consistency is especially important with shrimp so hopefully if you get your parameters to level out they should be good. Most of my shrimp deaths have been after bigger water changes/top offs so now I try to keep those small to limit parameter swings. 

Dang dude, I'm sorry 🙁 I'm afraid of the shrimp learning curve, I haven't gotten any yet. But from everything I've read/seen, they're extremely sensitive to fluctuations of any kind. I'd think small water changes & let the pH stabilize. Your KH is on the low side; are you using crushed coral or some kind of buffer? That'll help keep your pH stable. But it can take a couple weeks. 

Can you delay your next shipment of shrimp? 

On 5/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, BigJ said:

keep those small to limit parameter swings. 

I have heard the same. I was hoping they weren't dying from the baking soda. But if it's just the water I understand, it was a large water change.

The Ph change from the baking soda could be part of the issue, but it was probably the sudden change not necessarily that the shrimp can't live in those parameters. This is why they say not to chase parameters and just work with what you have 

On 5/28/2022 at 9:22 PM, Anjum said:

Can you delay your next shipment of shrimp? 

Unfortunately not. I also assume it was the water change that did them in. And after some research I also learned that for each single digit change on the PH scale (ex. 6.0 to 7.0) it is 10 times more acidic or alkaline depending on which way you go on the scale. And it compounds. So a 6.0 to an 8.0 is 100 times more alkaline. So the 10 times more alkaline shift probably shocked the shrimp.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:28 PM, BigJ said:

The Ph change from the baking soda could be part of the issue

Regarding baking soda. This was my first time using it. My water is naturally soft with a low PH without off gassing. So would baking soda be a good way to adjust PH? I think crushed coral would raise the PH too high. But I have never used it before.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:55 PM, BigJ said:

but it seems like it would be more consistent and last longer than baking soda. Maybe someone with crushed coral experience can way in

I've only recently begun using crushed coral, but yes, that's my understanding: it works slow & steady. While it raises pH a bit, it's purpose is to buffer the pH so it can't swing drastically. I believe the calcium is beneficial to shrimp & snails as well. 

Shrimp are pretty hardy, but can't take rapid changes in water parameters. Slow and steady is best. If you are keeping neos 6.4 is not ideal.  They also do best in an aged mature tank.
Crushed Coral is probably your best option as you said. I can't personally attest to how effective it is since I don't need it with my hard water. There are plenty of people here who do use it however. It's good for live bearers as well.