Water change transfer pump, what are you using?

TUCCI

Up to now I've been using an electric transfer pump from my bucket to the tank instead of hosing it straight into the tank unconditioned. This allows me to dechlorinate and stabilize the temperature while its still in my brute container. Right now, I'm using a not so cheap Little Giant pump to fill my tank after getting the clean water prep'd. Ive got to replace my transfer pump and wonder what pump is common with those that do it this way using or is there another fluid transfer method I should be considering?

I use a cheap pond pump in conjunction with a wifi switch. I think there’s a market for some sort of system that would include a container with a pump and a remote switch. If it functioned as a gravel vacuum that would be a bonus. 

I have the same one as @BAT but if I have the hose end in the tank when I unplug it it starts to syphon out of the tank. It's kind of a pain to constantly take the hose end in and out of the tank while refilling a larger tank from a 5 gallon bucket.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, Katherine said:

I have the same one as @BAT but if I have the hose end in the tank when I unplug it it starts to syphon out of the tank. It's kind of a pain to constantly take the hose end in and out of the tank while refilling a larger tank from a 5 gallon bucket.

It really is. What I've been doing is I have a 44 gallon Brute container measured off in 5 gal increements. I fill from the tap up to the gallonage I want adjusting the temp according to what I need. If its too hot (summers in Arizona were like that) I let it sit out till it cools.  I dechlorinate and drop my Little Giant hooked to a hose thats screwed into a hose to pvc connector shaped like a U hooked around the edge of the aquarium and turn on the pump. Once the bucket is close to being empty I turn off the pump and remove my apparatus and I'm done. The pump will empty the full 44gals in less than 5mins but their going for $115. It'll last for years in fact the one I've got has been with me for over 10yrs but I've only used it for transferring aquarium water. I was just curious if there's another option but apparently not but thanks for sharing your views with me 🙂.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, Brian said:

Sorry no help… I use a pythons.  

The Phython put chlorinated water right into the tank right? How do you dechlorinate the water if its coming straight out of the tap? Please explain.

I just add it to the tank.  Haven’t had any issues yet.  I’ve been doing this for a long time.  When I change water in my 125 gallon I will gravel vac with tap running and pull out 25-30 gallons, add my prime or whatever and fill the aquarium.    Then start vac again …. But second time to save water.  I turn off tap and let gravity work.  It’s a little slower but I use this time to service filters, clean glass and glass lids…. I then add my prime or API Stress Coat and fill aquarium.  On this particular aquarium Changing about 50-60 gallons a week for the last 20 years…

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:51 PM, Brian said:

I just add it to the tank.  Haven’t had any issues yet.  I’ve been doing this for a long time.  When I change water in my 125 gallon I will gravel vac with tap running and pull out 25-30 gallons, add my prime or whatever and fill the aquarium.    Then start vac again …. But second time to save water.  I turn off tap and let gravity work.  It’s a little slower but I use this time to service filters, clean glass and glass lids…. I then add my prime or API Stress Coat and fill aquarium.  On this particular aquarium Changing about 50-60 gallons a week for the last 20 years…

Hummm good input Brian thanks for that. Python, perhaps I've been overkilling my procedure.....I'll have to put some research into this. 👍

On 5/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, TUCCI said:

I was just curious if there's another option but apparently not but thanks for sharing your views with me 🙂.

Check Amazon, there’s dozens of less expensive options. I think mine was like $35. 

I've been using Pythons for years. Back when I was managing a LFS (that used chlorinated city water for tanks) almost 20 years ago we would just dose dechlor in the tanks prior to filling and the stocking was fine. You just have to be aware about your water and the seasonal changes of your water based on how they treat it summer vs. winter. No matter though, using a Python to directly fill is a common thing for a lot of hobbyists. A quality dechlor will be the key.

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Top Fin water-change sets with tubing and in-line pumps to kitbash into filters. Each pump has a power switch about halfway on the power cord.

Python disappeared from all the LPS and box stores in Vermont years ago.

The pump setup was useful for draining a tank to move with a layered substrate intact.

The Aquarium Co-Op Powerhead might fit all the same stuff, but with a right angle setup, and probably more power.

F9477DC6-63BA-4535-B7E6-00FD0F773849.jpeg.225e148936bbfad69a93d5a9704ff658.jpeg

These are both in my utility kit, with a variety of pre-filter sponges.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 6:47 PM, Katherine said:

Add an in line ball valve to the hose.  I attached a U shaped pvc pipe to a ball valve, and attached that to the pump hose.  <$15  The pvc will hang on the side of the tank leaving you free to do other things.  The ball valve will stop water flow in or out of the aquarium.  This allows you to use the same setup for water changes or refills.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:59 AM, Tanked said:

Add an in line ball valve to the hose.  I attached a U shaped pvc pipe to a ball valve, and attached that to the pump hose.  <$15  The pvc will hang on the side of the tank leaving you free to do other things.  The ball valve will stop water flow in or out of the aquarium.  This allows you to use the same setup for water changes or refills.

Awesome idea, you wouldn't happen to have a part # for that ball valve?

• Like 1

Good to know if you decide to use a python. I used a python for years in Michigan,at the time,  we only had chlorinated water. I dosed the tank then put the water in slowly. When I moved to a different state I did not know the water treatment was chloramine, and I would lose fish every time I did a water change as i only used wardley dechlorinator. I Finally went to a local fish store owner who said not only did I need to use a de-chloraminator, but I had to use a triple dose. They were still losing fish when they did water changes even though they used the proper dechloraminator. So they called one of the city water engineers. He took a look at a couple of things they used such as prime. It states how much ammonia or chlorine that it will bind to, based on the parts per million in the water being treated. We live far from the city and we were told they add extra Chloramine to ensure stability at long distances or somesuch thing. And based on the amount of chloramine a triple dose was required . the prime at the usual dose would unbind the ammonia and chlorine, then bind with the chlorine, thus, leaving ammonia in the tank (hopefully I am explaining all this exactly as it was explained to me) which either killed some fish or stressed them to the points of illness if you did more than just a small water change. Or if you did a fast water change. At the time I had 125 gallon aquarium with three large goldfish two large synodontis fish and several small fish, sometimes I would change as much as 70 gallons at a time. Here’s what worked for me after talking with that local fish store. Assume I am changing 70 gallons,I get my glass Pyrex 16 ounce measuring cup with the pour spout, I add enough prime for 70 gallons and I do that three times, so it is a triple dose for the amount of tap water i am adding. I mix the prime with some tapwater. (One of my family owned local stores still has a lot of python equipment I think they started making it again , it was hard to find for awhile, but they also have the same thing made by Lee)When I start to fill the tank with the python, I have it go extremely slow, in other words, not too much water coming out of the python & into my tank at a time just a slow stream. I then add maybe a quarter of my prime and water mixture into my tank and I swish it around with a big wooden spoon which is dedicated to my tank.sometimes I will add a little bit more of the tank water into my Pyrex cup. When I have about a quarter of The 70 gallons in the tank I add more of the prime mixture and stir it around. And then I continue this way until it’s done. (I sit right next to the tank and either read a book or watch a movie on my iPad because there has been too many times where I forgot what I was doing after I left the room L O L) Sometimes I just add all of my prime mixture right at the start if I am not doing that large of a water change that’s up to you. It takes, from what I understand approximately an hour for the prime to completely bind to the ammonia molecules and chlorine molecules in chloaramine(which may be why people dose the whole tank instead of just what they’re adding, I choose to just fill the tank more slowly which does the same thing in my opinion) once I started doing my water changes this way I have not lost a fish again from a water change. The reason I only add some of the prime and not all of it at one time, and why i dose, based on the amount of water i am adding, is because it  lowers the amount of oxygen in the tank for a short period of time & and the fish will either be breathing hard or will come up to the top of the tank if I put too much prime in at once so I usually don’t do that unless I’m only changing 20 gallons of water. I just thought I’d throw that in there in case you decide to use a python type of system. I’m sure the way you do it is just fine especially if you ever want to add buffers or make it the same temperature as you said you do.

My mail lady always used pre-treated water in buckets just like you. One day I had her come into my house and showed her how the python worked she was like what in the heck are you kidding me right now? She bought one, and I went over to her house to show her how to use it lol. She said I cannot believe how easy it is to change the water on my fish tanks now and vacuum ,my back thanks you

On 5/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, TUCCI said:

Up to now I've been using an electric transfer pump from my bucket to the tank instead of hosing it straight into the tank unconditioned. This allows me to dechlorinate and stabilize the temperature while its still in my brute container. Right now, I'm using a not so cheap Little Giant pump to fill my tank after getting the clean water prep'd. Ive got to replace my transfer pump and wonder what pump is common with those that do it this way using or is there another fluid transfer method I should be considering?

My tank is a large tall one and this did the trick. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDBYTLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, TUCCI said:

Awesome idea, you wouldn't happen to have a part # for that ball valve?

I do not. I built mine with 1/2" fittings in the plumbing department at Home Depot.  If you are careful you can bend the PVC pipe into a U with a heat gun or by heating over the kitchen stove, or you can use extra fittings. 

On 5/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, Tanked said:

I do not. I built mine with 1/2" fittings in the plumbing department at Home Depot.  If you are careful you can bend the PVC pipe into a U with a heat gun or by heating over the kitchen stove, or you can use extra fittings. 

Can you post a pic ? (im gonna need time to figure out how to do that myself).