Rookie: Supplemental Sponge Filter Question

I wanted to use a supplemental sponge filter with an air stone for my tanks. Two main reasons:

1. extra filtration and gas exchange

2. seeding new tanks

I am a new fish keeper with one cycled tank up and running, and two more waiting in the wings. I of course went with Aquarium Co-op sponge filters. The blog posts & vids made set up a breeze, but I think I may have overshot the mark on size vs. purpose.

I bought a "Small" for my Fluval Flex 15, based on the product description, but it takes up a lot of space in the tank and is moving a lot of air/water with the Ziss stone in it. The OE filter set up on this tank has great flow already and a multi-position head that is very adjustable. I just bought a "Medium" to go in the Flex 32, but after setting the small up in the 15 today I am thinking I've purchased 2 oversized set ups. 

My question is essentially this...when you are using these in addition to a good primary filter, should you be going down a size or maybe even two from the recommendations on the website? Is there even more to consider if they are or will be planted tanks (CO2 diffusion)?

Thank you for taking the time to read, and I apologize if this is an FAQ that I just couldn't find.

CA918288-87F4-4807-A145-AA9531CA846A.jpeg

Edited by PithyUserName
  • Like 1

The flex series has good built in filtration so your extra sponge is isn’t absolutely necessary, but like you mentioned it’s good for adding o2 and as a backup filter for a new tank or hospital tank. I say use whatever size seems right to you! You can always adjust the flow via a valve or dialing back the Ziss stone. 

• Like 2

A sponge filter is going to promote gas exchange and biological filtration. I don't think it's possible to "over-filter" with a sponge filter, so you can go as big as you like. Extra filtration can create an opportunity to have more fish in your tank without upsetting the balance, so it's nothing but beneficial. 

• Like 1

I have good primary filtration as well. For supplemental sponges I use just like you want to. I use only coop nano sponges. In tanks from 10-40B. Since it is just extra I choose not to use up real estate on it.  If I’m seeding a new tank that is all I need is something to seed it as I am not using the seed transfer sponge as primary filtration. 
To slow how much air is being pushed through I use a plastic adjustable airflow control valve in the airline. Hope that helps. 
I made the same mistake. I own a large and medium which are WAAAY to big for my tanks unless that was my only form of filtration.  Nono is not as wide but is taller. It has about the same surface area as a small because of this but takes up less floor space and hides much easier. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3

I have a love for sponge filters .. rather you use them alone or with another filter ..    I like the extra filtration & incase of emergency I have a canister filter and have 2 sponge filters  one medium and large with my canister …    i use the large sponge with my quarantine tank too…since you have the filter you can go with a smaller sponge that fits better if you want ,,  and if you got a Ziss  stone or another air stone that is adjustable you can adjust the stone  to have less bubbles and water current plus my air pump that the 2 sponges is hooked to is adjustable to   I adjust both the air pump  and air stones  Cory talks about around  4-5 minutes  mark into this video this helped me with my sponge filters  water flow

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 12:11 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have good primary filtration as well. For supplemental sponges I use just like you want to. I use only coop nano sponges. In tanks from 10-40B. Since it is just extra I choose not to use up real estate on it.  If I’m seeding a new tank that is all I need is something to seed it as I am not using the seed transfer sponge as primary filtration. 
To slow how much air is being pushed through I use a plastic adjustable airflow control valve in the airline. Hope that helps. 
I made the same mistake. I own a large and medium which are WAAAY to big for my tanks unless that was my only form of filtration.  Nono is not as wide but is taller. It has about the same surface area as a small because of this but takes up less floor space and hides much easier. 

Exactly he kids of information I was looking for. Thank you!

Is there a trading section on here? I see these trader feedback things under user names. I’m thinking that “medium” is definitely not going to be a size I like. It would be nice to pass it on to someone who’s needs it fits better.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 12:47 PM, PithyUserName said:

Is there a trading section on here? I see these trader feedback things under user names. I’m thinking that “medium” is definitely not going to be a size I like. It would be nice to pass it on to someone who’s needs it fits better.

The fish and invert trade section just started. It does not allow plants or equip-trading anywhere on this site.  Save it. If you ever use a hob or canister the sponge can be used and is good media to replace the carbon cartridge with to upgrade the hobs and canisters. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

they also have control valve you hook up to air pump that you can adjust the flow to I use to use one one on my smaller tank when i had smaller tank  amazon sells them 

aquarium adjustable air  control valve flow controller

Edited by Bev C

On 5/27/2022 at 12:57 PM, Guppysnail said:

The fish and invert trade section just started. It does not allow plants or equip-trading anywhere on this site.  Save it. If you ever use a hob or canister the sponge can be used and is good media to replace the carbon cartridge with to upgrade the hobs and canisters. 

I see. Can I just gift it to someone on here then? I decided to hide extra ceramic media bags and filter floss in the rear flex compartments to use for tank starting, a quarantine tank, and being able to help someone get going down the road.

You do you.   You need to look at your tank and love  it.  You have more than enough BB on the gravel and decorations and glass.  Now it’s nice to have BB in many locations.   My smallest tank running currently is 40 gallon it is over stocked and I have a under gravel filter and a marineland emperor HOB.  Driftwood, Plants and gravel.   And I tend to feed heavy.   It’s actually my newest aquarium -up and running just over 6 years now.   If you love it, and the filters are easy to maintain I think that is the goal.  

On 5/27/2022 at 1:05 PM, PithyUserName said:

I see. Can I just gift it to someone on here then? I decided to hide extra ceramic media bags and filter floss in the rear flex compartments to use for tank starting, a quarantine tank, and being able to help someone get going down the road.

No unfortunately not. under the guidelines heading at the top it outlines what is not allowed.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 1:41 PM, Guppysnail said:

No unfortunately not. under the guidelines heading at the top it outlines what is not allowed.  

Well, poop. 

What I’ve learned:

filtration good, preference rules the day if the biome is healthy, this hobby is expensive, & ask BEFORE you buy stuff.

LOL! I’m having a blast. Thanks for the replies everyone!

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 5/27/2022 at 11:03 AM, PithyUserName said:

filtration good, preference rules the day if the biome is healthy, this hobby is expensive, & ask BEFORE you buy stuff.

Luckily AC sponge filter are the best deal in the hobby so you’re not out to many $$.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 10:47 AM, PithyUserName said:

Save your medium filter, it will come in handy. I have a medium in a 10 gallon, because that's what I was seeding as a filter for my 4' (originally it was a traditional Walstad, but endlers are livebearers...) and now it's staying in my 10 gallon since I rescaped. I never have detectable ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates (last is thanks to all the plants).

As for taking up real estate... I plant around my sponge filters. The plants catch the majority of debris and use it as food. Fry use the larger surface area on the sponge filter as a 24/7 buffet. In the vent of a power failure, the sponge filters only need the USB nano pump, and will run for ~3 days between charges on my external battery. And the base is apparently better than a resort getaway for encouraging shrimp and livebearers to engage in courtship.

• Like 3