Extremely weak fish unboxed - how can I help ASAP?

Jawjagrrl

I got in some roseline sharks a couple of weeks ago for my 55 planted community tank. They were very thin, but otherwise healthy. There was a little bit of bullying from the alpha, so I decided to add two more for a total of six.

They arrived about 3 hours ago. Everyone in the shipment looked great but one of these sharks - weather mild so I don't think anything got too hot or cold. I floated bags for 25 minutes and added - seller's water is very close in ph to mine, so I didn't drip acclimate.

This fish was even thinner than the previous order and struggling to stay upright for more than a minute or two - he eventually rights himself, so I don't think it's a swim bladder issue.

https://youtu.be/1Y59aV7L-u8

Is there anything I can do for him at this point? The other shark is also thin but has good color and is even chasing some of the other fish.

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

EDIT: fish struggling upon arrival, so I don't think it's a water issue, but tank parameters FWIW:

temp: 76

Ph 7.25

Ammonia/Nitrite: 0ppm

Chlorine/Chloramine: n/a (well water)

Nitrate: 5ppm

Gh: 180ish, Kh 80ish

Edited by Jawjagrrl
Added parameters

On 5/26/2022 at 2:49 PM, Colu said:

I would put the weaker fish in a breeder box and add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons the salt will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

I have a co-op specimen container I could hang inside the main tank - would this work, maybe with a bubbler? Or a little hospital setup with a tote? 

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Thanks 1

I echo feeding. Sometimes folks jump into medicating as part of a quarantine process, where they fast the fish. Sometimes this could do more harm than good, as they fish may already have been fasted for a week or more, given shipping considerations.

Food, or food+meds/salt would be optimal, as opposed to omitting the food.

Edited by quikv6

On 5/26/2022 at 3:37 PM, Colu said:

I would try the tote with an air stone and some salt it possible it just extremely weak and needs feeding up 

I got him in the specimen container with salt, some floaters and a bit of flake. His dorsal is up and he seems alert - just too weak to move. He immediately settled at the bottom of the container like a tired traveler being offered a seat by the fire.

20220526_155250.jpg.9afc9faa7b63a842598e37179551a262.jpg

I'm just a bit surprised they would ship a fish so thin - it took a good week over overfeeding the first ones before their belly was at least flat and not sunken. They all look great now so I hope I can help this fella. 

The other one is also thin but color good and happily swimming with everyone, just not quite as active.

20220526_155702.jpg.d2ab51d977abbb6dfbee06eba0e5ce76.jpg

Well... that was pretty horrible to witness, and I've lost fish before. I've never seen one have what would be considered a massive seizure if it were a person until today.

I thought the salt was perking him up a bit, then I spotted a hemorrhage developing at the base of one of his causal fins. Then seizure-like large jerking movements followed by total thrashing in the box, hitting the lid of the tank twice.

From what I was able to research, this could be triggered  by water quality, stress/shock and body condition. I don't think this guy stood a chance, but I tried all afternoon 😞

thank you @Colu and @quikv6 for weighing in - I'll remember salt if I have this ever happen again. I have no fish local so shipping is just a necessary evil.

• Sad 2

On 5/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, Colu said:

I would put the weaker fish in a breeder box and add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons the salt will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

100%

Any fish struggling to stabilize themselves like that could have swim bladder issues, and having them more towards the surface can help with taking some of the pressure off their systems too.

I hope the little guy pulls through. He looks really, really malnourished. 

On 5/26/2022 at 5:10 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

From what I was able to research, this could be triggered  by water quality, stress/shock and body condition. I don't think this guy stood a chance, but I tried all afternoon 😞

Dang.  I'm very sorry for your loss.  I hate to see that happen.  Rest easy little sharkie.

Fish with those body shapes jump so much for random reasons when they are under stress.  I've had SAEs just do the most insane things when I'm sleeping and I keep having to get up and check the tank.  Poor guy was just so scared and struggling. Nothing anyone could do 😞 😞 😞 😞 😞

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 5/27/2022 at 1:29 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

100%

Any fish struggling to stabilize themselves like that could have swim bladder issues, and having them more towards the surface can help with taking some of the pressure off their systems too.

I hope the little guy pulls through. He looks really, really malnourished. 

Dang.  I'm very sorry for your loss.  I hate to see that happen.  Rest easy little sharkie.

Fish with those body shapes jump so much for random reasons when they are under stress.  I've had SAEs just do the most insane things when I'm sleeping and I keep having to get up and check the tank.  Poor guy was just so scared and struggling. Nothing anyone could do 😞 😞 😞 😞 😞

I have a new postal delivery person that left this box sideways in my mailbox (my previous carrier drove up to the house and handed them to me - the mailbox is about 1/3 mile away), but I imagine these boxes get turned about in shipping all the time. The other shark has started showing the same signs this morning and is hanging out at the top. I guess I'm setting up the container again today and hoping for the best. The killifish and the SAEs in the same box are all doing great, so I don't think anything traumatic happened in shipping, plus they got here in about 36 hours, which is pretty awesome for coast to coast.

I am disappointed that anyone would ship fish that are in this condition. I've placed several orders now and haven't had one yet without a DOA or dies shortly after arrival, They delayed shipment on some congo tetras that were still in quarantine and I'm nervous now at what will arrive. Instead of being excited to bring in the 75s and start scaping them this weekend I feel stress for fish that are struggling in my care. Not the best part of the hobby.

EDIT: Lost the other one this morning. It had surprising bright red color in the face when unboxed that I think may have been actually an internal hemorrhage of some sort. 

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Sad 1

On 5/27/2022 at 6:12 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

I have a new postal delivery person that left this box sideways in my mailbox (my previous carrier drove up to the house and handed them to me - the mailbox is about 1/3 mile away), but I imagine these boxes get turned about in shipping all the time

Were the corner of the bags taped so they couldn't get trapped?  That's so tough to hear, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I get the feeling they may have been crushed or something accidentally.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:12 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

The killifish and the SAEs in the same box are all doing great, so I don't think anything traumatic happened in shipping, plus they got here in about 36 hours, which is pretty awesome for coast to coast.

I really feel bad for the little sharkies. 😕

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 2:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Were the corner of the bags taped so they couldn't get trapped?  That's so tough to hear, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I get the feeling they may have been crushed or something accidentally.

I really feel bad for the little sharkies. 😕

No taped corners, but they were the largest fish in my order... in the smallest bags, one for each. Like the type you see in videos of Asian fish markets where individual bettas are pre bagged in amazingly small amounts of water. The eight 1" saes were in one large double bag and teeny clown killies double bagged as a group in lots of water as well. Then those bags were all in one large bag... they seemed packed really well. 

It's been a real bummer, haven't told my spouse yet - he's in a good mood leaving work a bit early to start a long weekend and I hate to tell him another of his fish didn't make it. Hopefully the excitement of getting the 75s inside and on the stand will be a good distraction this weekend - all the rest of our cats, dogs, chickens, fish, shrimp, snails and scuds are doing great!

• Like 1