Installing an auto-doser for fertilizer. Where should my starting point be?

I've been struggling with hair algae growing on my leaves and suffocating my plants for almost a year. I've decided to go with George Farmer's advice on high tech planted tanks and dose liquid fertilizer daily paired with weekly 50% water changes.

My tank is 30 gallons in actual water volume, has medium growth plants, medium to high light, and averages ~ 25ppm CO2. I'm using Easy Green for my fertilizer but it doesn't have recommendations for high tech setups.

What starting point should I try for my daily dosing schedule?image.jpeg.95e183347b0e4a86899caa74486bb79c.jpeg

On 5/24/2022 at 8:47 PM, Bjorn said:

I've been struggling with hair algae growing on my leaves and suffocating my plants for almost a year. I've decided to go with George Farmer's advice on high tech planted tanks and dose liquid fertilizer daily paired with weekly 50% water changes.

My tank is 30 gallons in actual water volume, has medium growth plants, medium to high light, and averages ~ 25ppm CO2. I'm using Easy Green for my fertilizer but it doesn't have recommendations for high tech setups.

What starting point should I try for my daily dosing schedule?image.jpeg.95e183347b0e4a86899caa74486bb79c.jpeg

Amano shrimp will make quick work of that hair algae and save you the hassle of weekly 50% water changes. I can’t provide info on fertilizing high tech setups tho. But definitely get some amano shrimp 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/24/2022 at 7:12 PM, Zac said:

Amano shrimp will make quick work of that hair algae and save you the hassle of weekly 50% water changes. I can’t provide info on fertilizing high tech setups tho. But definitely get some amano shrimp 

I agree, I have 7 Amanos and they're prolific eaters. And they have adorable buggy little eyes. Should have started with much more considering how much work I have for them. I'd like a two prong approach though. Slow the algae at the source and get more shrimperoos.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:25 PM, Bjorn said:

I agree, I have 7 Amanos and they're prolific eaters. And they have adorable buggy little eyes. Should have started with much more considering how much work I have for them. I'd like a two prong approach though. Slow the algae at the source and get more shrimperoos.

7 shrimp should be good. What I would do is reduce feeding the shrimp cuz they eat algae better when they’re hungry. I would probably use less ferts as well unless you think the plants may be getting too much light. I would try cutting back maybe 20%-30% of what you’re doing now and see what happens. Since your tank isn’t densely planted it may not need the suggested amount the bottle says.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:36 PM, Zac said:

7 shrimp should be good. What I would do is reduce feeding the shrimp cuz they eat algae better when they’re hungry. I would probably use less ferts as well unless you think the plants may be getting too much light. I would try cutting back maybe 20%-30% of what you’re doing now and see what happens. Since your tank isn’t densely planted it may not need the suggested amount the bottle says.

I was dosing 3-4mL/week but noticed pinholes in old leaves of my S. Repens and Scarlet Temples. Now I'm doing double that but it's too early to tell how things are responding. Maybe I'm way off, I don't really know.

Edited by Bjorn

On 5/24/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bjorn said:

Don't change your dose for high/low tech right now. You might see a lot of growth, or it might take time for you to dial in the CO2 with the plant load.

What light are you using?

As far as where to start, Let's say you're dosing 3-4 pumps every week. (it's about 3-5 mL).  Your dosing is going to be around .4 ml up to .75 ml per day to start. 

Eventually you'll get to dosing progressively more, but it takes time for the plants to demand that.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:36 PM, Zac said:

7 shrimp should be good.

I have 12+ in mine.... might order more!  Love me my amanos.