Brine shrimp colony

Liddojunior

I use baby brine shrimps for live foods.

And have a bit of nostalgia and wonder if anyone has tips for making a nice stable colony of adult brine shrimps going? 

I was thinking some live sand and rock and adding hatched brine shrimps to grow up.
But not sure how to maintain water quality for the long term and wondering if anyone has been able to keep a display brine shrimp (“sea monkey”) tank? 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 8:45 PM, Liddojunior said:

I use baby brine shrimps for live foods.

And have a bit of nostalgia and wonder if anyone has tips for making a nice stable colony of adult brine shrimps going? 

I was thinking some live sand and rock and adding hatched brine shrimps to grow up.
But not sure how to maintain water quality for the long term and wondering if anyone has been able to keep a display brine shrimp (“sea monkey”) tank? 

I've never done this because of the stench. But as far as I understand it, the key is establishing a healthy saltwater tank for them. From there, it's just add the Artemia nauplii and feed them. Some people find that they grow feeding on spirulina powder.

Let a jar of salt water sit in the window for a month or two, then seed is with cysts. I use instant ocean at ~35 ppt salinity. You can skip the wait if you can get some ocean water. This 1 gal jar has been going for 2 years:IMG_20220523_193039740.jpg.8f951704905740751d16bf34bf6a41e4.jpg

I just top off evaporation with greenwater. There's usually 10-30 adults in there at all times. Water quality doesn't matter much with them. But suspended solids can get stuck in their legs easily. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

I wonder if there is a way to do this, in order to siphon off dinner for the fish every night (aside from fry - my fish are more than big enough to handle adult shrimp). I’ve tried but the plain jar just doesn’t seem to last. 

On 7/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, ccc24 said:

I wonder if there is a way to do this, in order to siphon off dinner for the fish every night (aside from fry - my fish are more than big enough to handle adult shrimp). I’ve tried but the plain jar just doesn’t seem to last. 

Definitely. You'd need a bigger tank and feed them RGComplete. You can harvest hundreds everyday from a 55 gal.

• Like 1