Can you identify this plant?

šŸ™‚ 'Ello!

Does anyone know what the name of this plant is, by chance? I saved a screenshot from an aquarium plants search, but have lost all other info on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! šŸ˜Š

what is this plant.jpg

Edited by Kalieka
Insert picture of plant

Wellā€¦ Iā€™m a bit all over the map. Leafsnap App says itā€™sā€¦

8C3140F4-7D20-473D-AFEE-AD4D75B69D86.jpeg.a01577185d1bb215349e5eb7e9f48494.jpeg

PuctureThis App says itsā€¦

F02B94BE-70CD-441D-AE23-A410CBD620C7.jpeg.5b0abcb69acea69ed3da0f5eaafeeaec.jpeg

But a Google images pulls up several identical Alamay stock photos labeledā€¦

9B0D0A45-0BD9-49C1-8FE1-B5D144D8C454.jpeg.5987df8ec74f04cb214fffb162a9e62a.jpeg
Ā 

Iā€™m not really familiar enough to confirm that last one, but CAULERPA PROLIFERA is a good bet.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, Kalieka said:

hehe Yes I went the plant ID photo apps, too. It is not Caulerpa prolifera, though.

What makes you say it isnā€™t Caulerpa prolifera? Ā It looks like it is, to me. Ā C.proliferaĀ (and most CaulerpasĀ Iā€™m familiar with)Ā will pop new fronds out of the middle of older fronds somewhat randomly (likely from an injured site), when certain conditions cause stress to a frond, or a frond is dying. Ā This looks like a moderately close pic of exactly that happening. Young fronds popping out of a frond that appears to be dying. Ā Itā€™s been close to 15 years and maybe a bit more since I last had a reef tank, but we used to mostly support our reef habit by selling macro algae to the fish store, and selling them back LPS corals we restored to health after they sold or gave to us if they were dying. Ā Reef tanks look very different these days than back then, but I sold gallons at a time of macros to LFS back in the day. Ā This appearance wasnā€™t common in my tanks, but I did see it once in a while.

I donā€™t consider myself an expert on the subject, thatā€™s for sure, but it looks like what I remember seeing and I double checked a bunch of google images (not exactly the most reliable source, but double checking my memory) just to confirm. Ā If you find something different, please let us know. Ā It would be interesting to know and Iā€™m always looking to learn.

Yes, I believe it to be Caulerpa prolifera now. My mistake was believing a pic app and some Google images over walking, talking (experienced) people here answering my question lol *facepalm* šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Many thanks to you guys for helping me out with this one. šŸ’œ Especially Odd Duck. Though, now I know who I may go to for some other questions haha šŸ˜šŸ˜‡

I was just kind of taken in with the look of this particular plant and really wanted to learn enough about it to bring some home. I have a feeling it is a lot smaller than I imagine, though.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:07 AM, Kalieka said:

Yes, I believe it to be Caulerpa prolifera now. My mistake was believing a pic app and some Google images over walking, talking (experienced) people here answering my question lol *facepalm* šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Many thanks to you guys for helping me out with this one. šŸ’œ Especially Odd Duck. Though, now I know who I may go to for some other questions haha šŸ˜šŸ˜‡

I was just kind of taken in with the look of this particular plant and really wanted to learn enough about it to bring some home. I have a feeling it is a lot smaller than I imagine, though.

C. proliferaĀ can get quite large and as the name implies, can be quite prolific. Ā It was the bulk of what I sold to my ā€œgo toā€ saltwater lfs back in the day. Ā Itā€™s always been a favorite of mine. Ā The fronds can easily get to 6-8ā€ tall (15-20 cm) and more in my tank. Ā Google says 60-80 cm long. Ā The pic you posted is pretty close up with the tiny new fronds maybe 1/2ā€ (1 cm) long? Ā They look about equal in length to the width of the mature frond ā€œparentā€.

I will always do my best to answer any questions but Iā€™ve not really stayed up at all with current marine stuff. Ā If you give me an @ before my name and click on my name when it pops up like this @Kalieka,Ā the forum will send me a notice that you mentioned me. Ā Or you can quote me on something directly if Iā€™ve already posted on a thread, since that sends a notice that you quoted me. Ā Either way Iā€™m much more likely to reply in a timely manner. Ā I have long shifts on some days, so I canā€™t always reply quickly, but Iā€™ll always respond eventually if I get an alert or even randomly find that youā€™ve mentioned me in a thread.