Snail Woes

platytom

So, I buy ramshorn snails for algae control in my two 5 1/2 tanks, both aerated one w/ plant filtration & 1 betta, the other with a hang-on filter & six  White Clouds.

I acclimate them and put them in. They almost immediately close up and eventually die.

So, I set up a 1 1/2 gallon plastic tank for the survivors. Well-planted {all tanks have java fern and a smattering of other plants) with a tufa rock, no aeration. I put them in and immediately they begin moving and they continue to thrive.

Water quality is identical in all three tanks.

Any ideas what the problem is? 

Thanks.

I’m sorry you are having issues. Has there ever been medication used in these tanks? Things like no planaria, worm killers and copper based medications stay in the tank and substrate.  Some algicides also harm snails as well as salt. 

Welcome to the forum. 

Oh no, so sorry. Guppysnail beat me to the meds question lol. Could something in your tank be leaching a sap or heavy metal? Are you sure they were dead? Maybe they were sleeping or scared? This is a tough one. Outside of sending a water sample to the lab for testing and an autopsy this one's a stumper. Then there is always the possibility that the dead snails had an internal illness, hit the end of their natural life cycle, or just couldn't handle the stress even though everything was right on your end. I hope your other lil fellas keep going. If they do they should have no problem making more for ya. Just takes what feels like forever for them to grow full size. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, platytom said:

Water quality is identical in all three tanks.

Any ideas what the problem is?

That the water quality is not identical in all three tanks. More info may help, I.E. your test strip results in all three tanks, tank history, feeding schedule, maintence schedule, photos often can help. Otherwise maybe run some carbon in the other tanks to see if whatever is bothering the snails can be pulled out of the water.

As I've written, the snails get along well in their acclimation bowls, crawling around & eating for an hour in the 5 1/2 gal tanks' water/.

It's when I put them into either 5 1/2 gal. tank that they stop moving.

When I drop them, unacclimated, from the 5 1/2 gal. into the 1 1/2 gal., they begin to move immediately.

Edited by platytom

On 5/24/2022 at 12:22 PM, platytom said:

As I've written, the snails get along well in their acclimation bowls, crawling around & eating for an hour in the 5 1/2 gal tanks' water/.

It's when I put them into either 5 1/2 gal. tank that they stop moving.

When I drop them, unacclimated, from the 5 1/2 gal. into the 1 1/2 gal., they begin to move immediately.

I/we would be happy to help but more information is needed. Answering the questions we have asked above may help us narrow down the issue.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1

In all tanks:

Nitrites 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrates very low

pH: 7

Temp: Betta tanks 80F; 1 1/2 gallon & White Cloud Tank at room temp.

I feed the first once a day and watch them to make sure they finish the food.

Weekly 50% water change for the 5 1/2 gal tanks, 90% for the 1/1/2 gal.