Hiding Angelfish

Mark C.

Hey everyone, so my wife decided to get an Angelfish on Saturday. This fish will not come out of hiding. It either stays behind the Amazon sword in the tank or behind the filter intake tube and heater. Is this normal behavior for Angels?

29G. 4 or 5 live plants. Three Harlequin Rasboras, Two Guppies, 2 mystery snails, a few ghost shrimp and a Clown Pleco. 

Thanks!!

2E89903E-98C3-44AC-BF00-0DC2206229F8.jpeg

• Like 1

Well they can be a social fish and love the company of others.

what is normal?   A solitary fish may take longer to settle in, but no not really normal.  What is the temperature?  Any other stress factors going on?  What about when the lights are off and just room lights are on?  I have seen pet shops that don’t use lights and sometimes those fish take longer to get accustomed to the lights.  Does it come out to eat?  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 8:56 AM, Brian said:

Well they can be a social fish and love the company of others.

what is normal?   A solitary fish may take longer to settle in, but no not really normal.  What is the temperature?  Any other stress factors going on?  What about when the lights are off and just room lights are on?  I have seen pet shops that don’t use lights and sometimes those fish take longer to get accustomed to the lights.  Does it come out to eat?  

The temp is right at 80. I have lights in the aquarium lights but I have been keeping them off a good bit hoping that would help. The pet store had lights too. It hasn’t come out to eat yet. I have seen it eat a little bit that floats back there where it’s at. 

I hate calling the fish “it” lol But I have no idea if it’s a boy or girl. Guess I just have to pick one, or at least let my wife and son pick. 

On 5/23/2022 at 8:26 AM, Mark C. said:

Hey everyone, so my wife decided to get an Angelfish on Saturday. This fish will not come out of hiding. It either stays behind the Amazon sword in the tank or behind the filter intake tube and heater. Is this normal behavior for Angels?

29G. 4 or 5 live plants. Three Harlequin Rasboras, Two Guppies, 2 mystery snails, a few ghost shrimp and a Clown Pleco. 

Thanks!!

2E89903E-98C3-44AC-BF00-0DC2206229F8.jpeg

I would not be too concerned as long as the fish is coming out to eat.  I introduced a pair of young rescued angels to the community tank. They quickly found out that they were no longer King and Queen, (there was already a larger Angelfish in the tank) and dove for cover.  They came out for a quick meal and returned to hiding.  This went on for almost a week. Give your fish some time to observe and meet the neighbors.

• Like 2

So I have had this Angelfish for 5 days now. She is definitely doing better as far as not hiding all the time but every time I feed the tank, she seems to find something else to do like chase her reflection or just search around. So I have not seen her eat very much. Maybe a little piece of flake here are there but not often. My thoughts are, she will eat when she is hungry, but should I be doing something different? Different food? Feeding Sera Treat Mix and Bug Bites. 

But the good thing is that she isn’t hiding as much. And I guess you notice I used “she” in this post. My wife and son determined that it was a she lol

Thanks!

D22D9885-7129-4DB5-9CC1-D25F268F6515.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.
  • Like 1

I’ve had this Angel for a week now and she still won’t eat. I have barely seen her eat anything this week. She isn’t hiding anymore but food can be falling and hit her and she still just swims around. I have tried Sera Treat Mix flakes, Fluval Bug Bites and Omega One dried bloodworms. 

She just swims around and chases her reflection or watching us and pays no attention to the food. I just don’t get it. Should I be concerned or is it a situation where she will eat when she is hungry?

On 5/28/2022 at 9:07 PM, Brian said:

Nope… she should be eating.  Have you tried any live foods? Live black worms?  Frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp.  

No I haven’t tried any of that yet. I guess I was hoping she wouldn’t be all boujee like that lol So the frozen bloodworms, don’t they make a mess in the tank?