New to planted tanks

So I decided to dive into the world of planted tanks for my latest tank. I'm fairly good at resarrching, i thought. I knew I would need a stronger light than what is provided with the tank but what I've found as suggested are for over the top of the tank and for the fish I will have in the tank eventually, I'll definitely need a lid. I'm worried it's getting to where I can't afford levels. I can manage a light but I don't think I can afford a whole new hood as well. I used fluval stratum and I don't remember what the sand mixture I added sort of on top was called but was suggested by the lady at Petsmart who was very helpful and informative and even showed me pictures of her own planted tanks. I grabbed all low level light plants but I think I need some more plants and  possibly a cholla wood log like I have in my 5.5 gal Betta tank if I can, not sure what else. Really wanna keep it natural, other than ya know baby Groot. I mean he is technically a tree. I'm feeling a bit down and worried that my plants might not grow if I can't get a new light and lid though so suggestions are welcome, and how did I do for a first timer? Oh its a 29 gallon tank 18"H by 30"L20220522_212101.jpg.04c6de200fc1688613ee2a0bcbad540b.jpg

Screenshot_20220522-235257_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Don’t worry, you are doing fine.  Take your time and let the tank settle in.  Doing research and asking questions is always the best option.  I have seen some amazing looking low light planted tanks just using room lights and sunlight.  Did the tank come with a light/lid?  If so it should work just fine.  If not you should be able to find some inexpensive options on the internet.  Also, may I suggest a background?  If even some construction paper from a craft store.  Looking great….

• Thanks 1

Hey there. I haven't kept an aquarium in over 25 years and never had a planted tank until now. My tank is about 4 months in. I have a basic aqueon glass top. I have the hygger 26w 24/7 light. It's about 50 bucks on Amazon. So for plant lights it's on the. Cheaper side but I found it works really well. You u can adjust the brightness and it has timers built in. I prefer to have it set on a basic external timer. I found about 8 hours a day works well. I have slow plant growth but haven't had much of an alge problem yet. Fingers crossed lol. Plant selection's are Java ferns nana petite, Anubias gold coin, dwarf aquarium lily, bacopa Carolina Amazon sword, dwarf chain swords, and one pogo. Along with a few floating water sprites, and a floating money wart. I'm still getting down my fertilizer schedule. As of right now I'm just doing 3ml of easy green a week and 1ml easy iron. I give new root tabs into the gravel about one a month for now. Hope some of this will help in your new planted adventure. It can but frustrating at times. But the look of the live plants and how the fish interact with them make it worth it.

IMG_20220523_073342439.jpg

• Like 1

I paint the back of my tanks with black or dark grey usually. I got some mis-colored paint for a couple bucks at Lowe's. It did 4 or 5 tanks for 3 dollars.

For most of my tanks, the lids are cut from a sheet of polycarbonate greenhouse siding from the hardware store. The 4x8 sheet was $50+, so it's not super cheap. But I've cut 7 lids and haven't even used half of it.

It looks like you've got some asian water ferns, anubias, a windelov java Fern. You want to keep their rhizomes above the gravel or they'll die. They're called epiphytes, and they feed from the water rather than the substrate. I glue mine to locally scrounged wood and rocks. You can use super glue, or just wedge them in to cracks. I love the fancy, exotic rocks and wood from the store, but the free river bank stuff is more my speed.

Oh, and from what I can tell, that light should work fine.

And welcome to planted tanks. 

Edited by Corbidorbidoodle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

+1 to the epiphytes. You can keep them in gravel provided you don't bury the rhizome, but in my experience they do better glued to some sort of hardscape (rock, driftwood, etc). They feed mainly from the water column, not the ground. Just be sure cycle the tank fully and don't panic if some of the leaves start to melt as the plant adjusts. Other than that, take your time and have fun!

Planted tanks require a lot of patience and trial and error. I've been working on my 20 gal planted and have made a ton of mistakes. But it's the fun of learning that I enjoy. I'm grateful to the community here as they've all been so helpful.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I have the plants in little basket thingies the lady at Petsmart pointed out that help keep the rhizome from being buried that I thought were a pretty nifty invention. I've added a couple more plants and a background that has made a tremendous difference. I'm excited to see where it goes. I know to expect some plant melt though. 20220523_232240.jpg.52c78244136296c17f8d563ca5fdc73c.jpg

I have the taller version of your tank (TopFin 37 gall.) which means I actually should have a harder time growing plants since light loses its strength exponentially as it travels through water. That being said I've only used the stock lights and have had pretty good success with growing plants. The limiting factors for me have been CO2 and nutrients, not light.

image.jpeg.18805c23b78c16b14678c11faeab4bfe.jpeg

I'm trying to find the stats on our lights to confirm that they're identical but they don't list it on PetSmart. I know if I look under my lid I see two LED bars and the fixture says 12V & 14.6Watts.

image.jpeg.112d67a0cabd584662eb6156554f3380.jpeg

I actually prefer my built in lights because it hides them discretely and this sort of custom lid is only something you'll find sets. If you want to have a bit more customization you can do what I've done and get a programmable light dimmer which you can set to simulate sunrise and sunset cycles for a fraction of the cost of an entirely new setup.

The advantages I see of getting something like a Hygger or Fluval light is they can make the colors of your fish and plants look more saturated and you can adjust the spread by playing with the height and lateral position; but you may not even notice the difference.

• Thanks 1