What type of fish is this?

Lisha

I’m looking to identify the algae eater fish on the bottom. Yes, the silver dollar has issues, which I’ll get to. The algae eater is 6-7 inches long and for reference, the silver dollar is full grown and sword plant is 17 inches tall. I got the Alfred’s water with a bunch of Otto’s. He’s clearly not an Oto and I have no idea what he is. He actually looks like the golden siamese algae eater I had except in gray/black. Any ideas?

Ok, the silver dollar. I almost dosed the whole 75g tank with ickX but after looking closer, I believe it is missing scales as a result of trauma. I’ve got three of them and they freak out over everything. There’s wood tree branches, pvc pipe with smooth river rocks and a fake tree root. No one else had white on them so I’m keeping close watch for now. 

35A7BEFC-3218-487D-AE40-7BAA270125D9.jpeg

5C1225C8-45F9-4A88-BCC5-8BCF018F5155.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, Lisha said:

I’m looking to identify the algae eater fish on the bottom. Yes, the silver dollar has issues, which I’ll get to. The algae eater is 6-7 inches long and for reference, the silver dollar is full grown and sword plant is 17 inches tall. I got the Alfred’s water with a bunch of Otto’s. He’s clearly not an Oto and I have no idea what he is. He actually looks like the golden siamese algae eater I had except in gray/black. Any ideas?

Ok, the silver dollar. I almost dosed the whole 75g tank with ickX but after looking closer, I believe it is missing scales as a result of trauma. I’ve got three of them and they freak out over everything. There’s wood tree branches, pvc pipe with smooth river rocks and a fake tree root. No one else had white on them so I’m keeping close watch for now. 

35A7BEFC-3218-487D-AE40-7BAA270125D9.jpeg

5C1225C8-45F9-4A88-BCC5-8BCF018F5155.jpeg

Yep he's a Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, known as the Chinese/Siamese algae eater or the sucking loach.

• Like 2

Looks like (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) or the Chinese algae eater.  As for the silver dollar,  it might be the algae eater.   I have seen them as well as other fish get a taste for the slime coat of other fish.  Good luck

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

Thank you everyone!!! I have heard that CAE will eat the slime coat of fish. These fish have lived together for 4+ years without “Otto” eating their slime coats, but that is a definite possibility. I feed him one algae wafer in the morning and Xtreme big fella pellets at night. Plus all the other food that falls to the floor. Again, thank you all for responding 😊

Also, thank you for identifying my fish. I suspected that’s what he was but wasn’t sure. 

Edited by Lisha
Edited for spelling