Strange gold patch on the head of my yellow white cloud (Tanichthys kuehnei)

mbwells

If someone could look at this picture and tell me whether this is a bacterial infection, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't hesitate to medicate, but the problem is I don't know of any bacterial infection that would give my fish a *gold* colored patch!!  It certainly isn't fungal - the patch doesn't stretch out into space in any way, shape, or form.  As you can see, the male is fighting vigorously, and ate vigorously this morning as well.  Some pictures include other yellow white clouds to show what they normally look like.

As for parameters:

Temp: 70F

pH: Ranges from 6.4 to 6.6 over the course of the day

Ammonia: None at this low pH

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: Currently, 25 ppm.  Always fluctuates between 10 ppm and 40-50 ppm

Gh: ~75 ppm

Kh: I use controsoil, which removes the carbonate buffer, so my Kh is always 0.  However, controsoil has an organic based buffer that keeps my pH right at 6.4 to 6.6 without fail.  In 5 months of operating my aquarium, I've never seen a reading outside of this range. 

@Colu, any ideas on this?

IMG-1082.jpg

IMG-1088.jpg

IMG-1089.jpg

IMG-1091.jpg

Ok, I'm completely flummoxed right now.  Does anyone know why the gold patch is fading in intensity?  I'm having a hard time finding the sick (?) fish among my males after an hour has passed.  I don't get it.  I could spot that gold patch from several feet away from my tank, now I struggle to find it when my face is pressed against the glass.  @WhitecloudDynasty, have you ever kept yellow white clouds (Tanichthys kuehnei)?  I'm starting to wonder if a dominant male gets a kind of golden crest on the top of their head, since my females *just* started to get gravid.  But my Tanichthys albonubes and Tanichthys micagemmae do *not* seem to get dominant male coloration. 

On 5/22/2022 at 2:37 PM, mbwells said:

Ok, I'm completely flummoxed right now.  Does anyone know why the gold patch is fading in intensity?  I'm having a hard time finding the sick (?) fish among my males after an hour has passed.  I don't get it.  I could spot that gold patch from several feet away from my tank, now I struggle to find it when my face is pressed against the glass.  @WhitecloudDynasty, have you ever kept yellow white clouds (Tanichthys kuehnei)?  I'm starting to wonder if a dominant male gets a kind of golden crest on the top of their head, since my females *just* started to get gravid.  But my Tanichthys albonubes and Tanichthys micagemmae do *not* seem to get dominant male coloration. 

I won't call it dominant, some male have more color than other and some are moody than other. I have bred more colorful male with less aggression, but the end result those male can't handle the more aggressive female lol

Take a photo of your gold patch, it should like stress to me

• Thanks 1

@WhitecloudDynasty thank you so much for your reply!! I posted some pictures above in my initial post. There’s 4 of them. The problem now is that I can’t find the male that head patch, and I did a head count and I’m not missing any fish. Coincidentally, my males aren’t fighting anymore. I guess it isn’t anything I need to medicate… 

On 5/22/2022 at 3:18 PM, mbwells said:

@WhitecloudDynasty thank you so much for your reply!! I posted some pictures above in my initial post. There’s 4 of them. The problem now is that I can’t find the male that head patch, and I did a head count and I’m not missing any fish. Coincidentally, my males aren’t fighting anymore. I guess it isn’t anything I need to medicate… 

That normal for them, they get lighter and darker depending on their mood. The head band will only show up on the yellow white cloud. Vietnamese white cloud gets darker black and normal white cloud get red

• Like 2

@WhitecloudDynasty you have given me so much relief. Boy I’m sure glad I waited!! The moment I saw that patch I was about to dump Maracyn in my tank in a panic. Great lesson for a first time fish keeper!

By the way, I have a heavily planted aquarium, but do you know if white clouds might like particular plants, decorations, or caves or something? I love my white clouds and I’d like to make my tank white cloud heaven! Got about 45 in a 40 gallon breeder. Nothing else but a few snails. 

On 5/22/2022 at 3:30 PM, mbwells said:

@WhitecloudDynasty you have given me so much relief. Boy I’m sure glad I waited!! The moment I saw that patch I was about to dump Maracyn in my tank in a panic. Great lesson for a first time fish keeper!

By the way, I have a heavily planted aquarium, but do you know if white clouds might like particular plants, decorations, or caves or something? I love my white clouds and I’d like to make my tank white cloud heaven! Got about 45 in a 40 gallon breeder. Nothing else but a few snails. 

They like a current to 1 side..Other than that they aren't picky