Is this enough for summer tubbing?

dan12boy

I wanna know if I have the equipment down for making a summer tub for guppies. Would just a regular tub and some hornwort in the tub be enough? Or do I need a sponge filter or air pump or anything attached to it? Also would it ever get too hot for them? 

• Like 1

Prior planning prevents …. You know the rest

we don’t have enough information, yet.  
- Where do you live?

- Where are you setting up your tub? (Sun, shade, part shade?)

- How big is your tub?

- What are you day time high temps? Overnight lows?

here in Louisiana, I run an air pump, but no filter, in my 100G.  The tub has afternoon shade. I tried to go w/o the pump my first year, and my fish struggled during the heat of the day.  Personally, I won’t try that again.  

If you are trying to breed a bunch of guppies, you’ll need a lot of hornwart, or other plants for the babies to hide in.  Consider adding a couple pathos cuttings.  They should root fairly quickly, and the vines will hang out over the edges and make it look attractive.  Win win

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, Ken Burke said:

Prior planning prevents …. You know the rest

we don’t have enough information, yet.  
- Where do you live?

- Where are you setting up your tub? (Sun, shade, part shade?)

- How big is your tub?

- What are you day time high temps? Overnight lows?

here in Louisiana, I run an air pump, but no filter, in my 100G.  The tub has afternoon shade. I tried to go w/o the pump my first year, and my fish struggled during the heat of the day.  Personally, I won’t try that again.  

If you are trying to breed a bunch of guppies, you’ll need a lot of hornwart, or other plants for the babies to hide in.  Consider adding a couple pathos cuttings.  They should root fairly quickly, and the vines will hang out over the edges and make it look attractive.  Win win

Okay so first I live in Maryland. The general highs on most days is high 70s low 80s I believe. I’m thinking of setting it up on the patio in the back or just in the backyard under a tree. I don’t know how big the tub will be yet, I don’t want anything big like a 100g, maybe just a 30-40 gallon one. I have a ton of hornwort already right now and tbh they’re the main reason I want the tub so I don’t throw the hornwort away and use it for guppy breeding. If I’m going to need the pump then putting it on the patio would work since I’d be able to have a socket to plug it into.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, Patrick_G said:

I use a cycled sponge filter from an indoor tank and a bunch of plant cuttings. Hornwort is probably the best, but floaters, water wisteria, sprite etc will work.  I put the tub on the east side of the house for morning sun and afternoon shade. 

Okay thank you. I have cycled sponge filter in their tank right now and it’s filled with just hornwort. I’m definitely going to put it on the back patio since that gets morning sun and afternoon shade too. Now all I need is to know what tub I should buy. If anyone can provide any links that’ll be really helpful! 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, dan12boy said:

Okay thank you. I have cycled sponge filter in their tank right now and it’s filled with just hornwort. I’m definitely going to put it on the back patio since that gets morning sun and afternoon shade too. Now all I need is to know what tub I should buy. If anyone can provide any links that’ll be really helpful! 

You want one from Tractor Supply that is made from plastic labeled “food safe.”

Here are mine…

132E437D-606C-498E-A1DC-899A1AD39260.jpeg.9b3955068910c6784edd2a5e4a05848d.jpeg

955E7985-608A-4B14-85C7-8C7BA5F3F07A.jpeg.0a0200ac62b3f6936c40aacd9d995789.jpeg

7C5794CD-AB7A-4F36-BDF3-538F84C86E6B.jpeg.98812acccbcb0e71a56f020116385843.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/22/2022 at 3:58 PM, dan12boy said:

How many gallons would that hold? I checked the descriptions but couldn’t find that 

I think it’s about 14 gallons. Larger ones are great. Just go visit your local TS yard (outdoors). You’ll find lots of varieties. The shape of your first one is good if it’s large. 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:02 PM, Fish Folk said:

I think it’s about 14 gallons. Larger ones are great. Just go visit your local TS yard (outdoors). You’ll find lots of varieties. The shape of your first one is good if it’s large. 

Okay thank you! My main problem is the fact that the nearest one is 40 mins away so I have to order them online. Do lowes not have similar things? Also where do you get most of your fish since you also live in MD? Only lfs I know of is one in silver spring, otherwise I get mine from the basic petco/PetSmart 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:04 PM, Ken Burke said:

One of the comments said 22.6g but idk

Okay thanks for the help! I’m trying to move the things from my 20 gallon long to a tub so I can start using that tank for breeding projects.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:05 PM, dan12boy said:

Okay thank you! My main problem is the fact that the nearest one is 40 mins away so I have to order them online. Do lowes not have similar things? Also where do you get most of your fish since you also live in MD? Only lfs I know of is one in silver spring, otherwise I get mine from the basic petco/PetSmart 

Okay thanks for the help! I’m trying to move the things from my 20 gallon long to a tub so I can start using that tank for breeding projects.

Yes, in the garden center.  Check this out

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-26-in-L-x-26-in-W-Black-High-Density-Polyethylene-Pond-Liner-20-Gallon/999948250

On 5/22/2022 at 4:28 PM, Ken Burke said:

I think so.  The pictures look like the plopped it in a half whisky barrel.  If the walls are fairly ridged it should work 

Okay I’ve bought it so I’m gonna try it by itself and if I need the whisky barrel then I’d get it too later. Thank you for the help Ken! 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:05 PM, dan12boy said:

where do you get most of your fish since you also live in MD? Only lfs I know of is one in silver spring, otherwise I get mine from the basic petco/PetSmart

We are in Allegany County. Hillbilly land! There are 2x LFS in town, plus a PetSmart. But we are part of Potomac Valley Aquarium Society that meets monthly in Fairfax. Lots of great aquarists there! Auctions usually have very nice fish.

We are permitted to sell on the forum now, following guidelines. Reach out / PM if there’s something we breed that you’re interested in.  

On 5/22/2022 at 4:39 PM, Fish Folk said:

We are in Allegany County. Hillbilly land! There are 2x LFS in town, plus a PetSmart. But we are part of Potomac Valley Aquarium Society that meets monthly in Fairfax. Lots of great aquarists there! Auctions usually have very nice fish.

We are permitted to sell on the forum now, following guidelines. Reach out / PM if there’s something we breed that you’re interested in.  

Whattt you’re lucky, you’re deeper in MD, 2 hrs away from where I am closer to DC. I’d join that society but I don’t drive and Fairfax is about an hour away so once I drive I’ll def join that. And okay I’ll send you a PM!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 4:39 PM, Fish Folk said:

I have a bunch of relatives in Gerrett county in grantsville. My cousins go to college in frostburg. I live in Kentucky but will be up in MD in October for a wedding. Beautiful up there in your parts 

• Thanks 1