Corys and Bristlenose plecos?

31LJ95

Hi I was wondering if I could put a group of corys with a bristlenose pleco. I am setting up a new 105l tank (little over 20 gallons I think) and wanted to know if I could house them together. I tried it in the past but my bristlenose killed two corys but he was very terrotial. I have a lot of bristlenose fry so does anyone know if I grow them up together will they be okay? 

We have a 20 long with a mating pair of super reds and 10'ish pepper corys + a bunch of other species and red cherry shrimp.   Never been any problems and the super reds have spawned many times.  Dad is in the cave right now on eggs.

image.png.16f82b8be8fa8b629620540b108cf65c.png

Edited by KBOzzie59

A 20 high is really small for both a school of cory and pleco. A 20 long is better. I keep 8 sterbai with 2 L204 in one 29 and 9 eques with 2 bn in another. the 2 bn i have are small - one is an adult female super red that is only around 3 inches and another is a youngster of a lemon bn around 2 inches but still growing. I had a monster of a male lemon bn in the 29 (over 5 inches) and he was too large for the tank and I had to give him away (I have a breeding pair in a 40B and now and then i rescue one of the frys).

-

The point being is if your bn are larger (they can grow up to 6 inches but the colour morphs tend to stay smaller) and your tank is tall and not long (less floor space) you will be pushing what it can handle.

i  agree wit every one. 20  long or 29  gallon would be best.I always wished my first bristolnose had a bigger tank  when i had him in a. 29 gallon  my first lived with cories  he got along with the cories  as long as I had a cave and feed him separately away from the  cories they was fine I use to feed  him vegetables by hand 

and my 2nd bristolnose has always been in my 55 gallon got him around the same time as the tank ,, he gets along with my cories and snails  until feeding time is very territorial with his food  too. i always make sure he is well feed and I feed him first  and  feed him in  the same spot every day near his corner near his caves   now when i feed  vegetables i have to feed  two one for the bristolnose and one for the snails ,, i saw him nudge a snail who thought he likes sharing ,, plus i feed him well  so he will is leave my plants alone …. 

Maybe that is why he looks like a butter ball turkey He is s fatty  little man  and please do give a bristolnose another try i did not think they would be favorite but he is one of my favorites 

Edited by Bev C

On 5/22/2022 at 6:06 AM, 31LJ95 said:

Hi I was wondering if I could put a group of corys with a bristlenose pleco. I am setting up a new 105l tank (little over 20 gallons I think) and wanted to know if I could house them together. I tried it in the past but my bristlenose killed two corys but he was very terrotial. I have a lot of bristlenose fry so does anyone know if I grow them up together will they be okay? 

You absolutely can. 

Based on the tank itself, you might have more success adding otos though.  If you want a pleco, perhaps look into clown plecos as well.  They are a bit different in their "style" and usually prefer a piece of wood in the tank.  I have two clown (3-4" long) in my 29G tank.  They tend to make a lot less mess than the bristlenose, but it's up to whatever you prefer.  Plecos in general can all create a lot of mulm, which is a good / bad thing depending on what you want out of the tank.

Also, welcome!

Edit: A Rubbernose Pleco might work too, they will stick to the glass and clean that for the most part.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, KBOzzie59 said:

We have a 20 long with a mating pair of super reds and 10'ish pepper corys + a bunch of other species and red cherry shrimp.   Never been any problems and the super reds have spawned many times.  Dad is in the cave right now on eggs.

Love that tank!  How do you enjoy those corys?  I think they will be the next ones I end up with.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 5/22/2022 at 2:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

How do you enjoy those corys?

I have a standard 20 gallon next to me In my home office that is home for 27 of them we bred.

EDIT:  For what it's worth  My super red grow out tank is a standard 20 gallon.  Currently has 30 reds and sterbai's that are spawning. 

image.png.357025010f4d8cdc17e7154cfff5f4e5.png

Edited by KBOzzie59
  • Like 1

In my 125g, I have one big, old, bristlenose and 8 pepper corys. The pleco will make a brief " beat it!" run at a cory occaisionally, but in several years together, no real violence. There is plenty of cover and room for separation which probably helps. Snails, on the other hand, are blugeoned to death on sight by the pleco, so I guess it also depends on the individual plecos personal predjudices.

Edited by TheBlueBeetle

On 5/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, TheBlueBeetle said:

In my 125g, I have one big, old, bristlenose and 8 pepper corys. The pleco will make a brief " beat it!" run at a cory occaisionally, but in several years together, no real violence. There is plenty of cover and room for separation which probably helps. Snails, on the other hand, are blugeoned to death on sight by the pleco, so I guess it also depends on the individual plecos personal predjudices.

I have a 55 gallon with a similar set up.  The bristlenose nose is a super red and a little less then a year old, same for the corys.  They all get along great, so much that they are the only fish he will not chase away from his algae wafer, he has no issues with them nibbling on the side.  Now the platys and keyhole chiclids he will chase away immediately.

My pleco actually ignores the snails and fortunately decided not to much on my Amazon Swords.  He is an extremely mellow tank member, as long as none of the big fish go after his wafers.  Even then he will just chase away the fish, grab the wafer, and then swim to a little areas so he can munch on it.  He is also surprisingly outgoing, I will see him swimming around midday sometimes.

• Like 1