Can I add more fish to my 20 G long?

BAT

I just inherited a 20 gallon long fish tank from a friend (see pic).  It has 6 neon tetra, 6 black tetra, 1 scarlet rasbora (he thinks accidentally included with the black tetra), 2 corys.

think i can add any more fish? 

I also realize i need to add plants etc for shelter. I was thinking about switching out the gravel for eco complete or fluorite.

6008F626-1A1D-4592-BF5C-11AEBEFE31A8.jpeg

@xXInkedPhoenixXis the gravel ok for the Corys “noses”? Not too hard?

honestly, most of the reason to change was that I thought the color was blah. Maybe i add some color gravel? Thoughts? Im not very good with color design.

On 5/21/2022 at 5:46 PM, Colu said:

I would add a couple more Cory's to bring the group up to six

@Colucan i add different Cory’s? Like panda or another?

I use Eco Complete and feel that it's more rough than gravel that I have in other tanks. If you don't see any damage on the Cory now and you ask your friend about any prior possible illness or damage from substrate I'd say keep it. It actually is really colorful and reminds me of "Peace River" gravel that people like @Mmiller2001 uses in his beautiful planted tanks (in color not so much size I think Peace River gravel is a little smaller from what I can tell). I think once you start adding plants, hides or decor you'll start seeing the tank come to life. NOW you could add areas of Eco or Flourite to break up the space/colors that could be fun. The only reason I'm saying this is you have cycled media- why put yourself through a potential tank crash or tank wobble. What's there is actually something cool to work with. Totally my opinion. 🙃 My "Parent Tank" has 2 different sizes of similar colored gravel and lots of plants- it's not a show tank but it's one of my favorite tanks- and when I set it up I put a pile of Eco Complete along the back of the tank with a gravel cap to plant the GIANT sword that's grown there now. Resized_20220405_134804(1).jpg.00cbed09a0d612bd22f4f35e02bad279.jpg

• Like 1

I'd stick with the gravel and get some easy plants going.

Once you get them going monitor your water parameters and if your nitrate is low add fish.

When you're water changes get to the limit of comfortable and not a chore you have enough fish. At least that's how I work

• Like 1

I like the dimensions of 20 longs. It's a good compromise between water volume and horizontal swim space which I feel makes over crowding less of a limiting factor than a standard 20. Like others have mentioned, your limiting factor will how well you can maintain safe, stable water parameters.

On 5/21/2022 at 2:53 PM, BAT said:

is the gravel ok for the Corys “noses”? Not too hard?

Keep an eye on their behavior.  If they dig a lot and show stress signs, change it.  If they dig and just enjoy the challenge, the corys will just have strong muscles.  The substrate isn't sharp, so I think it's perfectly fine. Adding 2-3 more will help their behavior as well as just having cover for them in some capacity or a place for them to hide out away from the light.

On 5/21/2022 at 2:53 PM, BAT said:

can i add different Cory’s? Like panda or another?

you can, they might not school together. Entirely up to you.  You can have 3-5 of one kind. 3-5 of another.  I won't be able to find the video, but I can hear Robert clarifying this.  Something like albino is based off a bronze cory, so it will swim with other cories of that same type.  Others wont, etc.

Edited by nabokovfan87