Dry start, driftwood mold

I’m doing a dry start with Monte Carlo and driftwood. It’s day 6 and there’s been some white/mint green mold growing on the driftwood. It’s not me bothering so long as it goes away by itself  and doesn’t hurt the plants.

Should I remove the wood until I’m ready to flood or will it take over and kill my plants?A2D46824-F1EE-44A6-AAB5-9FB49D1A780A.jpeg.610120a94c5e80235ba00ffc56d16184.jpeg

EDIT:

Stealing a screenshot from another forum because it looks exactly like the kind of "mold" I have. Someone ID'd it as "Trichoderma" which apparently is a fungus and not a mold. Still wondering if I should step in and remove it or if it's safe for my dry start.

61940132_MoldExample.png.b9097825052bc618e251e1746b1a718c.png

Source of screenshot above.

Edited by Bjorn

• Administrators

Your plants are most likely fine. It is not uncommon to see mold-like growths and film on wood when first introduced. You could always clean it off with an old toothbrush or something like that.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:00 PM, Zenzo said:

Your plants are most likely fine. It is not uncommon to see mold-like growths and film on wood when first introduced. You could always clean it off with an old toothbrush or something like that.

I think leaving it alone is what I'll do. Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1