Stock Tank Pond Overflow: Have you drilled your tank?

PineSong

So, I remember someone showed their stock tank with a hole in it stuffed with sponge filter sponge, so that water can drain out without losing fish or fry... but I'm not sure how the holes got put in? Do I just use a drill, or ? If you've made your own overflow protection, please advise! Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

I would suggest finding the flattest surface on the side of your stock tank a few inches from the top. Then, I would drill a hole and install a bulkhead fitting. This way you can add PVC pipes and even a strainer or a cap so that you have more functional use of the hole (re-routing the drain to be away from the stock tank, adding an elbow on the inside to change the height or cap it, etc.).

Link for bulkheads: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/aquarium-bulkhead-fitting-slip-x-slip?variant=40053053325381

On 5/19/2022 at 7:40 PM, Zenzo said:

I would suggest finding the flattest surface on the side of your stock tank a few inches from the top. Then, I would drill a hole and install a bulkhead fitting. This way you can add PVC pipes and even a strainer or a cap so that you have more functional use of the hole (re-routing the drain to be away from the stock tank, adding an elbow on the inside to change the height or cap it, etc.).

Link for bulkheads: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/aquarium-bulkhead-fitting-slip-x-slip?variant=40053053325381

Okay, thank you. I saw Rachel O'Leary had something like that with screens in them on hers, but I wasn't sure about drilling such a large hole into my tank. I have a drill and I've made lots of holes for installing doorknobs in doors with a hole cutting bit--would I just use the same kind of thing but for the size of the bulkhead?

• Administrators
On 5/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, PineSong said:

Okay, thank you. I saw Rachel O'Leary had something like that with screens in them on hers, but I wasn't sure about drilling such a large hole into my tank. I have a drill and I've made lots of holes for installing doorknobs in doors with a hole cutting bit--would I just use the same kind of thing but for the size of the bulkhead?

Yep, same hole saw bit will work fine in those tubs. Measure twice or thrice...drill once.