Sponge Filter Mishap

This guy swam down and got stuck in the filter. 1/2 his body was sticking out the top. I took the top of as gently as I could. It looks like a pretty nasty bruise. I hope he'll be ok and not do that in the future. 

20220518_191907.jpg

Edited by Crystal_W
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

What is the temp on the tank?  He might be going in there to try to get more flow, oxygenation and such.

I'm very glad the little one is ok! 

Hi. The temp is 78. It is a 13 gallon that was given to me with only the fish and the light. I put 2 cannister filters in there as I will be setting up a 40 gallon breeder end of June. The Otto starts eating off the tubing and just keeps going down and down until he's wedged in the filter. Should I go warmer Than 78? Also I have 2 cannister filters that are for 40 gallon in a 13. They want the tank back after I set up mine and move the fish over which is why I have the filters I do. 

On 5/30/2022 at 2:37 PM, Crystal_W said:

The temp is 78

My otos prefer it cooler.  What else is in the tank for stocking?

This is a good tool to try to figure out where to set the temp too!

https://aqadvisor.com/

On 5/30/2022 at 2:37 PM, Crystal_W said:

Also I have 2 cannister filters that are for 40 gallon in a 13.

you can remove the filters you don't need (or run less) and just put the ceramic media in one filter. That might help things out, but it sounds like you have a TON of flow.  Maybe the fish is trying to escape that and needs a cave.  Is the oto having issues staying on the glass, getting blown around?  What does the oto do when you turn off the canisters for a moment.

I'm re-watching this just for the sake of it, here's the link as well.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 5/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

My otos prefer it cooler.  What else is in the tank for stocking?

This is a good tool to try to figure out where to set the temp too!

https://aqadvisor.com/

you can remove the filters you don't need (or run less) and just put the ceramic media in one filter. That might help things out, but it sounds like you have a TON of flow.  Maybe the fish is trying to escape that and needs a cave.  Is the oto having issues staying on the glass, getting blown around?  What does the oto do when you turn off the canisters for a moment.

I'm re-watching this just for the sake of it, here's the link as well.

I'm using the 2 cannister filters because I'm moving them to the bigger tank when I get it set up. I plan to keep both in the tank but one can be removed for a hospital tank if needed.  I have the bubbles on them down pretty low. They don't have any problems being on the glass as far as I can tell.  That's what surprised me that he'd want to be so close to the bubbles. I was gifted Danios and guppies. I bought the ottos and cory catfish. 

The sponge does help as he doesn't even go near it now. I wonder if anyone else has had issues with fish getting in the cannisters.... 

On 5/30/2022 at 5:16 PM, Crystal_W said:

I'm using the 2 cannister filters because I'm moving them to the bigger tank when I get it set up. I plan to keep both in the tank but one can be removed for a hospital tank if needed.  I have the bubbles on them down pretty low. They don't have any problems being on the glass as far as I can tell.  That's what surprised me that he'd want to be so close to the bubbles. I was gifted Danios and guppies. I bought the ottos and cory catfish. 

You should be able to just add seeded media to the canister without having to run both canisters.  If this doesn't make sense I'll try to find a video that explains the process for having a filter on "standby" without having to actually run it.

Edited by nabokovfan87

That would be really cool. I didn't know you could do that! Cannister filters are new to me. I hadn't had an aquarium for 16 years and it was only hang on back with charcoal. Thanks so much. I'm off to watch the video you referenced on how to care for ottos. 

• Like 1