Freshwater Vs Saltwater

AquaAaron

Hi all 

I just wanted to get people's opinions and views on the old freshwater Vs saltwater debate.

I currently have 8 aquariums and 2 ponds, one of which is a 5000L round pond housing a few Japanese koi.

1 of the 8 Aquariums is a 4ft by 2ft marine tank.

As much as I love the marine tank and especially the fish in it, I do believe that that are a long term setup that you can't tinker with top often unfortunately (best when left alone), but at the same time they require a certain amount of maintenance to keep running well. Mine is pretty low tech, with the most advanced gadget being a auto top off.

I rarely do water changes on the tank, and I do keep the auto top off topped up to keep salinity right when water evaporates.

Because Im a pretty lazy fish keeper at times, anything more than soft corals seem to struggle. Probably because I'm not keeping up with the water changes.

A massive negative I find is that very little in terms of growth, happens fast in the marine tank, and I'm sure if it was my only aquarium, that would all change when I spent more time on helping it thrive more.

And that's what I love about freshwater tanks is that they are always changing at a relatively fast pace, especially when they are planted. Fish are also much more reasonably priced, and setting up or changing a tank setup is so relatively easy in a freshwater aquarium. There's so many different ways to aquascape a freshwater tank and endless things or fish you can add to make the tank more interesting. 

I have huge respect to those to can grow SPS corals in their reef tanks though, but I can imagine they don't have a load of other tanks they have to give their attention, money and time on. 

Just my thoughts, what's your thoughts and opinions on this? 

Thanks!

Aaron IMG_20220515_200747311.jpg.c12fbec273863f8ad51bb4d9458d3e5e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have always had fresh water and try to stay away from C02  because  C02  bottle refill or exchange is not handy or close to me  would be hard for me to handle the  cans .. Plus I just want fish and enjoy them  I catch myself watching fish in my tank   plus I just  want   a few plants  nothing fancy preferable  alive  with no algae.. I fell  into this hobby after babysitting a gold fish for my Mom who refuse to take him home  after vacation  .. My obsession started, and working on  my tank helps me it is my physical & metal  therapy    I have to stay  active and not be a couch potato to keep me  walking  I do something in my tank daily 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 11:53 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

Saltwater belongs in an ocean.  But on a slightly more serious note, I've never done a saltwater tank and currently have little desire to do so.

I suppose you could say the same about freshwater animals, that they belong in the rivers and lakes of the world, but we try and give all aquatic animals the best life possible (most of us)

Edited by AquaAaron
Spelling mistake

I tried foolishly attempted a small 8 gallon saltwater tank. Quickly realized way to small, moved it all into a 55gal. But was not that successful. I didn't know much about freshwater let alone saltwater. Getting saltwater from my LFS in four 5 gallon jugs weekly wore me out quickly. Like I said, I didn't know what I was doing. I saw shiny fish and corals and want to give it a try. I definitely regretted it. Ended up giving selling the fish to friends and the store. Lasted about a year or two. Had a couple clowns, some Chromis, and some invertebrates to include a big red shrimp (don't remember actual name). Tried some soft corals too. Here some old crappy photos I found showing my neglect. These pics should be a lesson for others, don't get into it on a whim. Read up a lot! Start with a large tank, be prepared to spend a lot of money!!

0324181803-1.jpg

0502182000.jpg

0324181804.jpg

0324181803a.jpg

Edited by Woogie23
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 6:31 AM, Woogie23 said:

I tried foolishly attempted a small 8 gallon saltwater tank. Quickly realized way to small, moved it all into a 55gal. But was not that successful. I didn't know much about freshwater let alone saltwater. Getting saltwater from my LFS in four 5 gallon jugs weekly wore me out quickly. Like I said, I didn't know what I was doing. I saw shiny fish and corals and want to give it a try. I definitely regretted it. Ended up giving selling the fish to friends and the store. Lasted about a year or two. Had a couple clowns, some Chromis, and some invertebrates to include a big red shrimp (don't remember actual name). Tried some soft corals too. Here some old crappy photos I found showing my neglect:

0324181803-1.jpg

0502182000.jpg

0324181804.jpg

0324181803a.jpg

Atleast you gave it a go bud, I think for saltwater tanks, having an RO system and mixing up saltwater at home is a must, lugging water from the shop isn't ideal long term unless it doesn't bother you. But if you had to do a water change when the shop was closed then that may be problematic I suppose. 

Keeping just marine fish is a lot easier than keeping corals for sure though, if you have a refugium in your sump, the chaeto will suck out all the nitrates and phosphates, also the fish won't be too worried about having high calcium, alk, magnesium levels like corals do.

• Thanks 1

I've never had a saltwater tank but i met a woman once who had both saltwater tanks and freshwater tanks. Her passion was for cichlids, especially africans. She said her saltwater weren't difficult to keep. They were very lightly stocked, especially compared to her cichlid tanks. She was an older lady too, probably in her 60s or 70s, so if she was able to maintain several saltwater tanks along with several cichlid tanks (all very big tanks) i don't think anyone should be afraid of trying saltwater if they're interested.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2022 at 7:40 AM, Scapexghost said:

I've never had a saltwater tank but i met a woman once who had both saltwater tanks and freshwater tanks. Her passion was for cichlids, especially africans. She said her saltwater weren't difficult to keep. They were very lightly stocked, especially compared to her cichlid tanks. She was an older lady too, probably in her 60s or 70s, so if she was able to maintain several saltwater tanks along with several cichlid tanks (all very big tanks) i don't think anyone should be afraid of trying saltwater if they're interested.

Keeping saltwater fish isn't difficult you're right, just get the salinity right and you can even use just a canister filter, regular water changes like you would in freshwater, just when it comes to keeping corals, things get a little more involving, but can make it as hard or as easy as you'd like 👍

• Like 2

I think I got into trouble when I started trying different corals. I used a HOB at first and struggled mightily, then I bought a canister and that helped a lot! I just had to be more mindful of the saltwater than I had with any freshwater. Also, I hadn't had a lot of experience in freshwater at that point either. My LFS at the time helped me a lot. Pretty much refused to sell me some of the fish knowing they weren't good for my tank or I was to inexperienced to have them. They did a good job of keeping me wrangled in. Heh

I stay away from saltwater for the usual reasons, money and maintenance. And honestly I love the variety of freshwater fish, there is always something new and exciting. I love a good colorful centerpiece fish, but I also love schools of duller, more natural-looking fish. 

• Like 2

I have both kinds, and could not say I prefer one to the other. They both take patience and lots of constant learning, which is what I like about them.

I have spent more money on the FW, but am learning to propagate like I do in the garden (both plants and critters). The SW is easy because I gather ocean water, and am just learning to adjust the chemistry so that WC take place once a month or so. Also, I have not purchased any critters for the SW tank. I built the tank and the sump, and the most expensive item was the chiller.

My FW tanks are all nano (biggest is 12 gallons) and am now getting to the point of understanding their needs and wants after two years. I left for two weeks, and my 3 gallon has perfect parameters, clear water, and it is now due for a water change just for good measure. 

Like with any endeavor, there is always some one who tries to sell you way more than you really need. I think that is the hardest lesson to learn.

They are my drama boxes, and keep me out of trouble! 😁

• Like 2

I'm still new to fishkeeping in general but long term I'd like to upgrade my 37 gallon freshwater tank to a 75 gallon, and eventually maybe start a small/moderately sized saltwater tank for just corals and a clam (I think they're cool enough on their own even without fish). I think those saltwater clams are so beautiful and cool!

• Like 2