Surprise in the tank

Alesha

I was rescaping the 20-long today. Pulled out the 4 guppies, the 6-inch red-tail botia, all plants, wonder shells,  filters etc. The only thing in this tank for months has been the loach & any guppies with bent spine. We added 3 other guppies about 4 weeks ago.

As I was stirring up the substrate,  getting ready to mix in some crushed coral, I noticed some movement in the back corner. 

It was a red baby shrimp!!! We've never had shrimp in this tank. Ever.

We ended up finding FOUR shrimplet!

The only thing we've added was hornwort, at the same time we added the guppies. We got it from Imperial Tropicals. I'm guessing some babies must've hopped from the shrimp tank to the plant tank & decided to hitch a ride to our house. 

We are adding green tiger barbs to this tank & were told they like to snack on shrimp, so we moved the shrimp to safe ground in the 55- gallon with guppies & other shrimp.

Those little guys were a pretty sweet surprise today! 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Lynze said:

What an awesome surprise! With any luck, you'll get a whole colony going down the road without ever having to pay a dime for them. Makes me want to try my luck with some Hornwort from Mike 😁

All our other shrimp are from Imperial Tropicals as well, so I figure they'll be like long-lost distant cousins! 😆