55 gallon remodel - need recommendations!

Pacers94

Hello everyone. I am redoing my 55 gallon tank to be a cichlid tank. I am still not sure on if i want to do a south american community tank, a peacock tank, if i want to just get like 1 severum. Not sure. I'm also not that knowledgeable in terms of different types and what goes with what and how many you can have of each. It will not be a planted tank, just thinking of sand and rocks to keep it simple. 

What south american's did you have in mind? Going with the smaller and dwarf variety will allow you to stock other things in the tank. If you're talking larger (Red Devils, Green Terrors, Texas Cichlids, etc) then you're not talking about a lot of space for more than one adult fish, even if that. As for Africans, I'll let someone else chime in as them that has more experience.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, Tihshho said:

What south american's did you have in mind? Going with the smaller and dwarf variety will allow you to stock other things in the tank. If you're talking larger (Red Devils, Green Terrors, Texas Cichlids, etc) then you're not talking about a lot of space for more than one adult fish, even if that. As for Africans, I'll let someone else chime in as them that has more experience.

I've liked the electric blue acaras and have kept a couple, but those are the only ones i have had experience with

On 5/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, Pacers94 said:

I've liked the electric blue acaras and have kept a couple, but those are the only ones i have had experience with

Ah, perfect! So you're already looking at the smaller species which is a start. Sand, rocks, and even some wood would be a great setup for a lot of the bigger bodied (yet still small) cichlid species. Any reason to get away from plants? 

@Colu's recommendation is a good combo, but IMO I think they would be better suited to a tank with some flora in there. 

On 5/17/2022 at 10:22 AM, Tihshho said:

Ah, perfect! So you're already looking at the smaller species which is a start. Sand, rocks, and even some wood would be a great setup for a lot of the bigger bodied (yet still small) cichlid species. Any reason to get away from plants? 

@Colu's recommendation is a good combo, but IMO I think they would be better suited to a tank with some flora in there. 

I just couldn't sustain the plants and find a happy place where they thrived. Also with work just too busy to maintain. I just wanted to go bare bones on the tank with sand and rocks then whatever cichlids, african or SA, fit that profile and the right amount.