Rando place where xXInkedPhoenixX posts about stuff....occasionally...

Well @Patrick_G koi are my current favorite variety and I got a very very expensive one some years ago (from the breeder I mentioned in TX)- a giant koi female and sadly she just failed to thrive and was dead within a couple of months despite my efforts. She was one of the prettiest fish I've still ever seen though here are a couple of pictures from when she first got to me....such a shame I couldn't get her to live: 

Resized_20201120_091113.jpg.dc10449452a6ceaa28bdeedc3394f9da.jpgResized_20201120_091118.jpg.0e14b37b2f12bd667be9c33baac119ca.jpg

...and @Flumpweesel we shall see. Like a lot of fish keepers here I've had no luck with Betta fish- so like I said Mr. No Name may or may not have a chance with me. I can keep sooooo many other fish alive and get Otocinclus to breed but I can't get a single Betta to live much past a year. SMH. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So new Betta has his name- someone I know with better luck than me looked at the fish and asked about his markings (he's a Koi Betta I replied, bred to look like koi fish)- the name that rolled out just about instantaneously was: KOIANU REEVES. I laughed and I think I'll keep it though maybe the last name would be tweeked a little to REEFS and we can call him Mr. Reefs because try saying Koianu outloud- it's not an easy name to say! He's a good little eater which is a switch from some of the Bettas I've had in the past that were hit and miss with the eating thing. Here is Koianu eating this morning:

20220829_0723411.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did some plant maintenance in my bare bottom 10 gallon otherwise named the Accidental Oto Tank. Currently no Otos (as it is a grow out tank) but just Koianu Reefs as previously mentioned here and 3 Nerites. Koianu is coming out of his proverbial shell- while he's been very active since I put him in the tank he has ceased his continuous patrolling of the back wall and now is all over the place- I think he's discovered the secret of how to navigate the flow of the Aqueon Quietflow 10 as he's not being pushed around by it anymore- if anything he seems to consider it a challenge. I've yet to get a perfect picture of him but he kept photobombing today when I was trying to get a pic of an Anubias. 1472460929_Anubias92022.jpg.2989085ba40086634b0b7736aa6f3c67.jpg685475395_Koianu922.jpg.693a87be3f5c6dafd9af3ee7a8c9dabb.jpg

I'm also getting used to this new phone of mine....after 7 years with my lovely Note 8 - it fell to its death unexpectedly. So this newfangled camera I've yet to be satisfied with. Koianu is looking blue in some spots where he is white and I'm not sure why. *shrug*

Anyhow, if you look closely you can see my lovely little Anubias is blooming and has several new chutes as well. 1544529118_Anubiasbud92022.jpg.e64a033fdb32abce9fbb6a1fb0e7e078.jpg

Sorry for all the reflection. That tank pretty much flat faces a large slider door. Anyhow just goes to show you that even in bare bottom tanks plants thrive. 

Punk, my Bolivian Ram is thriving in The Angry Man tank. Every time I sit and watch him he just gets more beautiful- but he remains moody. I suppose he's aptly named afterall....1617499704_Punkdos92022.jpg.d7976b63285abf2dceff7548d41294a8.jpg1503539376_Punk92022.jpg.c541840cf283fd6d685a153673406beb.jpg

Typos are lame
  • Love 5

On 8/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

He doesn't have a name yet. I'm letting someone with more luck than me name him, so TBA.

Looks like a Ryu to me! Very nice looking fish 🙂

On 8/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

have zero expectations for him to live very long but I've done a few things I didn't do before to help him live longer: I got him from the LFS instead of the big box store- now this may mean absolutely nothing as I'm not sure where they source their Bettas from- I could have asked but didn't- my hope is that they buy them from a local that has raised them in "my" water. I've purchased one from a breeder once and that went worse than any of my big box store purchases but I'm in CA and the breeder was in TX so maybe that didn't help.

I can help but say chin up and that I wish this little dude does well for you!  I hope you have better success.  I thought CA / TX had pretty similar water, but the local fish, already has a better shot at doing well for you. *fingers crossed*

On 9/9/2022 at 11:06 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Koianu Reefs as previously mentioned here and 3 Nerites.

LOL lovely name.

• Like 1

I mean.....who wouldn't love a snail that looks like an army helmet with spikes that keeps your tanks sparkly clean? Also, who cleans the cleaner? Some other creature in the tank (ahem bladders) are slacking on their job. Lookin' a little cob-webby there pal....

horned nerite.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

So we had Scapes from Scraps here on the forum a while ago. My entry was doing really really well- though I have constant bladder snail walk aways from the vase- the plants are doing very well. I had to add a plant light to direct light to the vase itself when the Spider Plant just grew up and into the overhead of the stand. It was a very beautiful addition to my dark living room- here is what it looked like at one point:

1189166761_ScapefromScraps.jpg.10ad9a361f2b9907f70f608429686844.jpg

My spider plant concoction exploded and the plant lights I had no longer were sufficient for the Spider. Chutes it had failed and the ends of the leaves turned brown as they had no light and were growing away from the source. So it had to move to brighter climes in my house. I don't have too many of those but I put it next to my Flex9 which also had my terrarium I built after a failed colony of Tiger Otos in another tank and that tank moved as an upgrade to my Mum's at her house. I had originally moved the spider and left the terrarium next to it- it was a little cluttered- then I had an epiphany....

2055263170_ScapefromScrapsgotmoved.jpg.0ffe14eee74c3989aebc3294daec559a.jpg

When I moved the Spider I had also removed the Hiro Aquatics platform off my shelf in the living room but then lamented about what to do with it as it's a very nice stand. It sat in a spare room for a couple of weeks. Now as you can see above I removed the terrarium and the Scape is now sitting amongst my Tiki collection near a slider door and an LED light. You can see the browned end leaves. Hopefully it will get enough light now. If not it may need to move to a relatives house but for now here we are. 

The ephiphany was this...clearly in my terrarium I was seeing light deficiences in my Hypoestes "Pink Polka Dot" plant as it had gotten leggy and the pink spots nearly all gone. The fern and Creeping Fig are doing fine. I bonked my head. The Hiro light of course. Duh. So I brought it back out and put the terrarium there instead: 

126003892_Terrarium1.jpg.7ad5e7d75e148f08a391ded4e53e0a15.jpg

I'm hoping the Pink Polka will come back a bit better and I now still have something to enjoy in my living room! 

image0000011.jpg.46ded0e91cca9f49a99da460e7938f85.jpg

• Like 2

I'm just messing around with my new phone's camera (night pics) and my Hillstream Loach, Kirby comes out more often in the cooler times of day (morning and evening)- scooting around the front glass doing their cool Hillstream things. Always fascinated by how neat their undersides are. 

Kirby1.jpg

kirby2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I saw you post about that @Guppysnail! That's cool! I am so glad I got one after wanting one forever- Punk is such a great personality addition to my tank, he is a lovely fish. He's in my Angry Man tank, and as you may know I don't use heaters so the tank runs naturally from 72 (early mornings and/or colder house) to 78 (later day and/or warmer house)- the vast majority of the time my 20 gallon tanks run between that. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 10:48 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

as you may know I don't use heaters

This is why I asked you 🤗. I’m keeping them with pandas. It gets sun part day.  I want breeding but I don’t want higher temps. I think I’ll start at 76 sun will randomly raise it to whatever. I like fluctuations.  I think my fish are more robust for it. 

I admired Punk the moment you got him. Then @Chick-In-Of-TheSea and Snoopy.  These seem to have the personality that is right up my alley.  

• Love 2

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea ahh thanks friend. It's probably the "prettiest" tank I have since I'm usually just more focused on the fish things in my tanks. Most people who visit me gravitate towards that tank. Since I set it up it's been the most maintenance free tank I've had. I have to give some credit to the bladders and trio of Horned Nerites. 

@Guppysnail very cool- it will be interesting to see how your Bolivian(s) does with the bottom dwelling Pandas. I recently saw someone selling a couple of Pandas on another forum and I was tempted but Punk is so territorial with the bottom of the tank now I don't want to add a fish. I'm betting that if your Bolivian moves in with them already there they'll want to be in charge but less of a jerk about it. Punk runs the other fish off the bottom sometimes but has not been physical about it. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 3:03 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Let the Squirrel Splooting begin!! (I keep my windows a little dirty so birds don't fly into them)

Resized_20220525_115040.jpg

I had a squirrel splooter the other day.  Would come and steal some bird seed off the pile I keep on the ground (I think my package is mislabeled.  It says bird seed, but all I get is squirrels. I need to phone the manufacturer.) and then he'd go back under his tree and sploot flat on the dirt!  Sometimes he would turn/reposition while staying in the sploot just to see what the other squirrels were doing.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I find that a lot of bird food for wild birds has a high mix of seeds sometimes local birds don't eat. Mine is "mess free" so everything is shelled however at times I'm a bit dissatisfied with the higher amount of cracked corn- that even the squirrels save for last. Seed without corn though is ridiculously expensive and I'm already paying $50 a bag- I'm only feeding the House Sparrows, Scrub Jays and Mourning Doves for fun let us not get too crazy. 

That being said, feeding the animals and by default the squirrels and I know the urban rats, possums and skunks that come around at night (I have a ground level birdbath they all drink from- 2 higher fountain baths too) and I'm ok with it- the benefit to me is my cats get "cat tv", I get to watch the wildlife and know that at least my neighborhood birds and critters (including my 4 Hummingbird feeders) are safe, fed and watered at my house. I can't tell you though the joy watching them brings me. Splooting is a fun phenomenon to watch with the squirrels and the birds kind of do it too by sitting really low on the cement and fanning out a little. Now I feel bad for them because they do it when they are really, really hot but it still brings a smile to my face because- how clever is nature? Pets do this too- even I find myself splooting when it's stupid outside. Thankfully in my area we seem to be past the super hot times but in honor of the passing of summer I will leave you with a collage that says it all entitled "It's soooo hot...."

splooting.jpg

• Haha 2

On 9/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I find that a lot of bird food for wild birds has a high mix of seeds sometimes local birds don't eat. Mine is "mess free" so everything is shelled however at times I'm a bit dissatisfied with the higher amount of cracked corn- that even the squirrels save for last. Seed without corn though is ridiculously expensive and I'm already paying $50 a bag- I'm only feeding the House Sparrows, Scrub Jays and Mourning Doves for fun let us not get too crazy. 

That being said, feeding the animals and by default the squirrels and I know the urban rats, possums and skunks that come around at night (I have a ground level birdbath they all drink from- 2 higher fountain baths too) and I'm ok with it- the benefit to me is my cats get "cat tv", I get to watch the wildlife and know that at least my neighborhood birds and critters (including my 4 Hummingbird feeders) are safe, fed and watered at my house. I can't tell you though the joy watching them brings me. Splooting is a fun phenomenon to watch with the squirrels and the birds kind of do it too by sitting really low on the cement and fanning out a little. Now I feel bad for them because they do it when they are really, really hot but it still brings a smile to my face because- how clever is nature? Pets do this too- even I find myself splooting when it's stupid outside. Thankfully in my area we seem to be past the super hot times but in honor of the passing of summer I will leave you with a collage that says it all entitled "It's soooo hot...."

splooting.jpg

Sometimes I get crows.  They will remember a face, and if you feed them regularly they will be braver each time.  Super smart.  There's a few lookouts and then a "scout" that is the brave one to take the first bite.  If he's successful, more will come & snack.  He calls to them to let them know it's ok. But always lookouts remain in the trees. They take turns.  The crows are huge too.  

I also have 2 kitties. Mouse & Tony.  They chitter chatter with the critters through the window. They also get to go outside in their fun run (strong mesh tunnel, the ends zip)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea Yea I have a Murder in the neighborhood but they don't come to my patio, only a Hawk does from time to time and I think they've yet to catch one of my birds. I'm rather familiar with Crows as I used to want to keep them so I did a bunch of research to work with rescues on them. I still want to do that someday but it's not appropriate for my situation right now. 

However, Scrub Jays are in the same bird family and I've seen the same behavior in them. There's been times I've been able to help the Jays when they've "alerted" because of a neighbor cat- and they are good at by default warning the other birds of predators and dangers nearby. One time I heard a bunch of them "alerting" after I heard a boom and their calls went on for some time in my front yard so I went out to find one of their juveniles on the ground flat on his/her face, so I got on gloves, picked them up and put them on a branch (they were able to grip). The alerting soon quieted. My suspicion is that a cat had chased or attempted ot catch one of them and the Jay hit my window and stunned itself- in order to protect the juvenile they alerted to chase off the cat. 

Any time I hear them calling like that, I go see what's going on. 

It's nice your cats get to go outside. I harness trained my Burmese but though he took to the harness fine he didn't seem to care about going outside too much. This was when he was young, every now and then he shows a little interest- maybe I should try it again cause he was a kitten when we tried it- he's almost 10. My other cat, he's not interested. 

Q harness.jpg

Q harness 2.jpg

Typos are lame
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Since my tanks are pretty much hands off at this point other than the Parent tank that requires daily feeding and a little spot cleaning- I only do small water changes/maintenance one day a week. Though water changes are not absolutely necessary this gives me a chance to check in with all 5 of my tanks, equipment and my favorite part- inhabitants. 

Punk is doing well in the Angry Man tank- all 10 Black Neons and 10 Harlequins are doing well too, even my little bloated Black Neon girl. I spotted 2 of my 3 horned Nerites (Lock, Shock and Barrel) and had to replant some floaters that were dug up likely by Punk swimming by. He's not a fan of my hands in the tank so he hides most of the time- unlike others' Bolivians here- though he's real up in my face in the morning during feeding if I'm in the tank he apparently has decided I am boss- this leads me to believe that in his past life in the other fish keeper's tank he definitely had been low on the totem- he was in a tank full of other larger cichlids....punk1.jpg.95062d53ec4a5ecea081b7db16acbbea.jpg

On the other side of the coin we have Koianu residing in the Accidental Oto tank. He is rather up in my face but I find that rather typical of Betta fish. I vacuumed the bare floors for him and cleaned out the filter. He seems appreciative though on the bossy side....Koianu1.jpg.6e9c426513d6da4ef3a9edfceefffba1.jpg

Then in the Flex9 "Ember House" I have my 7 Embers, 4 Endlers, 3 Guppies, Hillstream "Kirby" and BFG my biggest Nerite. There is no shyness nor anyone bossy (to me) in this tank. The Endlers and Guppies are constantly following what's going on in and out of the tank I just hear in my head when I work on this tank "whatcha doin, whatcha doin, whatcha doin???"...1494374819_guppiesandendler.jpg.23e618d37c65436d097a28f8e97d12b4.jpg

They all have names in there too, the Guppies I tend to get mixed up a bit because they look very similar but this is my Endler, Drogon- he's the boldest of them all and the pushiest of everyone in the tank the majority of the time- the only one in the tank with this coloring so he's easy to spot....Drogon.jpg.3123aaaf97cab7b10ce55e747e5464ea.jpg

Lastly today I can't leave without mentioning how lovely my Nerite, Curlyque is in my 4 gallon Aquatop. This is a total jungle tank- the plants are just nuts in here- the guppy grass is super dark green, I even have a piece of AR you can see in this picture that is doing better here than it does in any of my tanks. I often trim the Ludwigia Super Red from this tank to plant in the Angry Man- eventually I'll have enough in that tank to make an impact. Anyway, Curlyque is hard at work here with her bladder snail friends keeping this tank squeaky clean- this tank had some floating plants removed yesterday because ever since I changed the light for this tank it's gone bonkers (in a great way) but even the floaters get a little too crowded. Here's Curlyque with a smattering of her bladder co-horts in the frame and a peek of the CPDs if you can spot them in the back of the tank where they like to hang....curlyque.jpg.7c2c8eaecc40e649ab0833f088b71ecf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1