Rando place where xXInkedPhoenixX posts about stuff....occasionally...

On 5/24/2022 at 12:14 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

So today I tidied up the Angry Man Tank a bit- it's time to move Punk the Bolivian Ram to his new home, he eats fine but he's clearly moping so I can't stand it anymore.

Very unfortunate.

On 6/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium, California. I'm not a huge picture taker- love to just watch and be in the moment....

...but now thinking a giant tank full of sardines or anchovies (not to eat) with the right lighting would be the best thing ever....

Awesome! I've been watching a bunch of there lofi video/music noise background things on youtube just to have something cool and chill while I work.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:46 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Punk is becoming more....extroverted? A lot less shy and mopey than he was when I got him. He more often comes to the front of the tank when I'm around and was very excited for Xtreme Krill flake today (though probably because they didn't get fed yesterday since I was on a 12 hr shift). I love how he blends with the colors/mood of the Angry Man tank/plants and other fish. (you can also see the bladder snails are nearly done cleaning the dirty Red Needle Leaf I put in there last week)

Very good to hear.  He still doing good?  I wanted to ask when he eats if you see him try to dig a lot or how he's interacting with the tank / substrate and stuff.  I wonder if their mood changes when they are on sand and stuff.

Some video and stuff of another fishkeeper with a ram we were talking about stuff last night trying to get the guy happy too.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I really do love my Bolivian he really is very endearing and so moody in such a lovely way. I really enjoy watching him get so very excited in the morning when the lights come on and he sees me walking in for feeding time- he's very interactive.

Bolivian rams have such a charming personality. 😍

• Love 1

@nabokovfan87 @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Punk is actually doing very well- he's all nicely colored and eats great. I do know it's their nature to zoom along substrate to disturb it and hopefully bring up some food- he does do this but being as how he's on Eco Complete and my glass marbles he doesn't dig but pokes between the marbles at times. He does eat from the substrate and likes to pick up snails and spit them out, lol. He gets very excited during feeding time this was taken today (google video under 1 minute:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5kYRFvdvuqtTUJ16

On 7/9/2022 at 3:43 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Wow! I didn’t know those guys can hang out in the air. Epic!

Well he's not technically in the air as the pump for the Flex has directed flow on top of "Fish Mountain" Hillstream loaches and similar fish though are known for climbing rocks and waterfalls as they are streamlined for it- this is why a lot of the internet says the Hillstream needs a high current tank- which clearly is not true as mine is not- but they likely enjoy it- just like it's not true you can only keep Cory on sand. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Very cool. Happy little fish!

I can't tell, haven't had coffee yet. I didn't see streamers and stuff. There is a specific place you might see something in a male vs. a female to be able to identify Punk.(I'm probably mixing it up with the pea puffers)

I use these as my method. Corydoras is similar in some ways too with the lower fins being rounded. 

Bolivian-Butterfly-Sexing-400x482.jpg.f1f2a83af1f6266cfb68128d17debbea.jpg

Very very cool. You two are making me very jealous of not having my ram!

Edited by nabokovfan87

😂

On 7/9/2022 at 10:26 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

He's got the boy parts!

Very funny to randomly read this. LOL.  I love the name you chose, very stoic in a way.

I remember sitting at the pet shop, staring for a solid 20-30 minutes trying to ID them.  Really good video, thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 yea it seemed to me that Bolivians are very hard to tell apart with the usual body tricks so I dug a little deeper and found that video. I agree with most of his narrative that the body indicators with them aren't as easy as some other cichlids. Most people when asked unless they're breeding don't know what they have. The guy I got Punk from- he didn't know. I almost got another one from a different fish keeper who when asked only said they "thought" it was a male. 

• Like 1

IMO you can't get a more perfect tank cleaner than a Nerite snail. They're also very lovely little animals to enjoy and observe. this is my Olive Nerite Curlyque. She (I know she is a she due to occasional eggs) is on the lid of my 4 gallon Aquatop and is the only Nerite in the tank, along with my CPDs and a smattering of Bladder Snails....

Resized_20220713_070728(1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Awesome! I've been watching a bunch of there lofi video/music noise background things on youtube just to have something cool and chill while I work.

I love the ones with the girl and the cat. ☺️

On 7/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

IMO you can't get a more perfect tank cleaner than a Nerite snail. They're also very lovely little animals to enjoy and observe. this is my Olive Nerite Curlyque. She (I know she is a she due to occasional eggs) is on the lid of my 4 gallon Aquatop and is the only Nerite in the tank, along with my CPDs and a smattering of Bladder Snails....

Resized_20220713_070728(1).jpg

I feel like another nerite is in my future.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:02 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

But they have sharks! 😂

This is one of their best displays, I could stand there for hours (though they do have bleacher type seating a bit aways from it so you can view from those). You can get so lost in the movement of the kelp you can get dizzy- just like when you ride an elevator. It's super cool.

• Love 3

On 7/15/2022 at 2:52 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

This is one of their best displays, I could stand there for hours (though they do have bleacher type seating a bit aways from it so you can view from those). You can get so lost in the movement of the kelp you can get dizzy- just like when you ride an elevator. It's super cool.

It is a thing of magic to me, for sure.  I totally understand that.

• 1 month later...

On a trip to a local fish store with my 13 year old nephew on a whim I stupidly decided to try my hand at Betta keeping again despite swearing them all off. I have zero expectations for him to live very long but I've done a few things I didn't do before to help him live longer: I got him from the LFS instead of the big box store- now this may mean absolutely nothing as I'm not sure where they source their Bettas from- I could have asked but didn't- my hope is that they buy them from a local that has raised them in "my" water. I've purchased one from a breeder once and that went worse than any of my big box store purchases but I'm in CA and the breeder was in TX so maybe that didn't help. I have a heater in the tank and the tank has been between 80-82.5 degrees. I have been using tank water for all my tanks with a brew of Almond Leaf but I also put one whole leaf in his tank. This tank is actually the Accidental Oto tank (used as a grow out) and has only been occupied by 3 Nerite snails so I figured, why not- it's going to be a while until my baby Otos are ready to move to the grow out so QT will be long over for a "new" fish and I ordered a tank separator for when I do add them in- not that I'm concerned about the Betta doing much- it's more about ease of catching them when they're ready to go to a new home. He doesn't have a name yet. I'm letting someone with more luck than me name him, so TBA. (Though Misslepop has come to mind):

Resized_20220825_080415.jpg.45723783e25ea1e087be5cedc4d45a1e.jpgResized_20220825_125330.jpg.6c0aa9f1c52c6d09328da225f431909a.jpgResized_20220825_125252.jpg.f96eca97d8a2922a6733fa8b61e6bf84.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4