With Respect, What Fish Don't You Like?

Fish Folk

I don't really like tetras or to a lesser extent danios or rainbows. I tend to prefer fish I can tell apart, and find it harder to make a connection with a group of fish than recognizable individuals. (I love my WCMM but I probably wouldn't try to give them names.) I've been trying some lamb chop rasboras and despite their bold color I still find them kind of boring to watch. (That's fine, since the tank is on my desk. If it wasn't boring I'd never get any work done. 😅)

I also don't care for cichlids, I find most of them a bit ugly (aside from Geophagus and their close relatives, for some reason). I've only once kept a cichlid, a large angelfish given to me by a friend. I rehomed it as soon as I could because it was too big and too aggressive for me. I definitely get why people like them, but they're probably not my thing.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2022 at 1:45 PM, Patrick_G said:

Every other hobbyist  😂

C0F520F5-074E-48FE-B846-670E0F5CC02A.jpeg.3a825fcf0584320a1a5dd27ff5aa62fc.jpeg

I totally get it. For a while I regretted my cories, thinking they weren't interesting enough. Since I increased the school size and added more catfish to interact with the cories have really grown on me.

I have not had the opportunity to experience keeping very many types of fish yet, but so far I would say I don't enjoy Betta as much as I thought I would. It is difficult for me to keep them with anything else, so I have lost interest in them.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:27 AM, Brian said:

I haven’t kept a fish I don’t or haven’t liked for one reason or another.  I love them all I guess for what and who they are.  I just can’t dislike something or someone for being who they are.  With that said hybrids with a deformity I just don’t understand.  Parrot fish or ballon live bearers and so on.

Some people, you may just need to get to know them a little better. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Neon tetras.... Pretty little fish, but they can have so many issue,s and ugh... trying to catch them in a fully planted tank.. I still have nightmares about that.

Also, glofish (which I would have loved when I was a kid)

Edited by Griznatch
add more
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 4:57 PM, Griznatch said:

Neon tetras.... Pretty little fish, but they can have so many issue,s and ugh... trying to catch them in a fully planted tank.. I still have nightmares about that.

I've never been able to get into them. I get why they're popular, just not why they're as popular as they are.

• Like 1

I sometimes don't like my SAE's but that normally only when they have had a rampage and knocked everything over or grazed on all my poor corys eggs before I've had chance to harvest them. The rest of the time they are ok.

I'm not fond of the look of platys and Molly's . The fear of the population explosion is enough to keep me away from live bearers in general and I have had actual nightmares about African dwarf frogs.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:05 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I sometimes don't like my SAE's but that normally only when they have had a rampage and knocked everything over or grazed on all my poor corys eggs before I've had chance to harvest them. The rest of the time they are ok.

I would not care much about SAEs, but mine are in with my Discus and somehow they manage to be a satisfying contrast. 

Edited by Fish Folk

Aggressive fish. I had a 150G African Cichlid tank about 10-12 years ago and their pecking order left me losing sleep many nights. It was a relief when I gave away the tank and it's contents.

Now I have a Betta :classic_laugh: But he's cool and the Nerites don't care when he flares at them, so he doesn't worry me (although he has caused me a few nights' sleep too).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2022 at 10:32 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Selective breeding IS genetic modification. The only difference is time. You literally cannot find a single fish in a store that has not been genetically modified. It's impossible. 

For me, the line is if it adversely effects their life. In some cases it does and in others it doesn't. A lot of times people forget that unless the fish is wild caught, it's genetically modified, even if it isn't as obvious as in the case of bubble eyes or glofish. 

So true, it's everywhere. even in the food we eat. (not just fish) 🙂

• Like 1

Just jumping in to agree about neon tetras. They’re pretty so I understand the appeal. Heck. I got them for that very reason. But now that I’ve had them for a while I doubt I’d get them again. They’re just a little too… uh… let’s just say I’m pretty sure they all share a single brain cell between the 6 of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 5/17/2022 at 2:58 PM, Tihshho said:

So technically you are correct. I was more so focused on test tube fish. In the hobby when people discuss Genetically Modified, it's usually something where you're cramming genetic material into a species that never had it. Selective breeding, though technically a form of genetic modification, is part and parcel of this hobby. Without selective breeding we would have a lot of species of fish that don't look like they are today. Veil tails would be gone, most of the designer Betta's (for color and finnage) would be gone, neocardinia would all be hints of browns and light oranges and reds, and the Cichlid world for a lot of hobbyists would be drab. 

Thats correct!

The gene is there already, we the breeder is only bring that gene out more and not add a different gene to the fish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 10:03 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

aha, yes, but where do the seeds come from?  😮 

I only bought non GMO seeds from an organic seed company. I save my own seeds now. Until I sustained a back injury I was marketing our organic produce locally.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

I only bought non GMO seeds from an organic seed company. I save my own seeds now. Until I sustained a back injury I was marketing our organic produce locally.

Thats great! I also grow my own and replant every year. I even raise pigeon to put their waste back into the soil, only water the garden  with pond water, pigs cut my grass, and duck take care of the bugs. But true corn, carrot, apple, ect...has been linebred to look like how they do today, size, color, taste.

• Love 3

On 5/18/2022 at 12:18 PM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

Thats great! I also grow my own and replant every year. I even raise pigeon to put their waste back into the soil, only water the garden  with pond water, pigs cut my grass, and duck take care of the bugs. But true corn, carrot, apple, ect...has been linebred to look like how they do today, size, color, taste.

It's not the easiest thing to eat "clean", but it can be done. There are so many interesting heritage breeds of animals (like most of my chickens), wonderful old strains of berries fruit trees (we have apples, pears, plums, peaches, figs, blackberries and blueberries) and tried and true veg varieties out there.... kind of like searching for that next amazing fish out there 🙂 

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1

I’m new to the forum but wanted to chime in and say how awesome it is to see so many people voicing concerns about ethical breeding and quality of life for their fish - feeling like most hobbyists around me weren’t concerned with that was part of what pushed me out of fishkeeping previously. 

My personal dislike is anything veiltailed - they sometimes photograph well, but IRL look kind of droopy and sad to me.

• Like 1