Forest Aquascape

Bjorn

Recreating an aquascape from a YouTube video.

AFA9F2E3-35C9-4DA9-9F2C-F615C28887B3.jpeg.6fb76ee262fab335aef31d735d982736.jpeg

8708779F-326B-49E8-9858-F555B070DA30.jpeg.e80ef99c5918068c263c9bea2c677836.jpeg

F6BAD819-7A27-48CA-8ECF-DAC0F1E18E0E.jpeg.57c8429a5cd1eed09fe200772604de34.jpeg

I’m doing a dry start for 1-2 months to get some more root growth. Experimenting with using two Hygger lights and CO2.

PVC pipe is for making a small cave for an ADF.

Used lava rock for hard scape.

Sand and aqua soil for substrate.

Monte Carlo and Bacopa for the plants.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:20 PM, Jeff said:

Nice! How are the logs going to stay standing up?

I’ve glued them to the rocks. If that’s not enough I might have to hollow them out and fill them with weight.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:23 PM, dan12boy said:

Could you tell me the seller? Do they sell other types too? 

Here’s the link to the store I used. It looks like they have more than just sticks. I recommend messaging Jean if you’re after something specific. I was given pictures and measurements before buying. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update (28 days later):

I've been enjoying the process and liking the results. I've flooded tank after 4 weeks of dry starting. The carpet increased in coverage and density but most importantly the root growth is keeping everything anchored in place.

A neat trick I learned is to use cigarette filters as a binder for your super glue. This allowed me to make a strong bond between the driftwood and rocks. The driftwood is rigid against accidental bumps and remains submerged despite not yet waterlogged.

I'm using a corner filter that creates excellent, circular flow and a tiny 50w heater. I'm happy with how well they function for my needs yet remain hidden and un-distracting.

Currently, I'm in the process of converting the plants to their submerged state. I'm using a CO2 generator to flood the tank with high amounts of co2 and will be tapering off gradually until they're stable in a low tech environment. I'm starting with short photoperiods and large, frequent water changes to mitigate algae.

I want to quarantine a few Amanos, Blue Velvets, and an Oto from my LFS so I can have a clean up crew on hand when things are nice and "seasoned."  I'm excited to see how an Oto or two would enjoy all that fungi from the driftwood! There's no hurry, though. This hobby has shown me that an ounce of patience can buy a pound of ease.

Ignacio.gif.716bce63cebbd4efaf455457c39da3f4.gif

I'm nit picking myself but if I were starting from the beginning I'd re-arrange the rocks so I could make the stream of sand more curvy and off-center. I think that would allow the eye to take in more of the surrounding scape. Next time.

(4 weeks ago)

F6BAD819-7A27-48CA-8ECF-DAC0F1E18E0E.jpeg.57c8429a5cd1eed09fe200772604de34.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/13/2022 at 7:39 PM, Guppysnail said:

Can you elaborate how you did this please? I would love to know. 

I'd love to. I think the best resource would be to show you the video I learned it from.

Edit:

@Guppysnail I should've also mentioned you don't need to go out and actually buy cigarettes. You can buy the filters by themselves on Amazon.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:51 PM, BigJ said:

That looks like one of those humid Autumn mornings we get in East Texas around October. Definitely gives the forest feel.

Nothing like a bacteria bloom to really set the mood 😂

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Moved some Cardinal Tetras. They look stunning in this tank!

I think I finalized the hardscape. It looks a lot less symmetrical and somehow easier on the eye than before. Thought adding the stump was kinda funny. The darker the driftwood gets the better it looks! I can't wait to give this to my lady.

image.jpeg.09f4daa2b7e7fc2fe7a734c8db82c0f3.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2022 at 11:23 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

How is the tank doing?

Thank you for showing interest!

The tank was moved to the intended owner. It now has her ADF, snails, and female betta. The frog stress tested the carpet and managed to uproot some tiles of Monte Carlo that were weakly rooted. I've managed to use tooth picks to stake some of them back. I've also had the idea of gluing plant weights to the bottom of them but haven't tested that method out yet.

Full.jpg.ef968a9be896edc6b16c565b70b57ac8.jpg

The animals seem to appreciate the cave. It does create a small problem of making a chute for soil to slide down into the sand. If I were to re-create this I would make more solid barriers to keep loose substrate in place. Rocks work well for that but don't always look right in some places. I think using thin CA glue over substrate to make an invisible boarder would help. I occasionally have to scoop out some sand and add a fresh layer. It's just a mild inconvenience that would have been lessened with better planning.

Valentina.jpg.3ca0d56f601e072bdd553cdbf1311684.jpgADF.jpg.07597f9ae611c1231e1ce7dfed2699b9.jpg

I'm still adjusting the lights to find the best algae control. The plants are otherwise flourishing. We've been enjoying having this tank to look at and it was fun to make.

• Like 1
  • Love 1