More stocking on 5.5 gallon tank?

Pygmy cory

On 5/16/2022 at 3:25 PM, Pygmy cory said:

I want a fish not a shrimp because my shrimp jar. A lot of shrimp died

Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters and the smaller the tank the more easily parameters can change. 

For your sister there isn't a lot of options unfortunately. For you, since you are starting new, there is more. I would suggest checking out some stocking videos. There are a lot out there that will suggest different stocking. 

A classic one for that size tank to consider is a betta. I wouldn't add anything more than maybe a nerite snail tho. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, Pygmy cory said:

Would a honey gourami work as a centre-piece fish?

Sparkling Gourami are about 1/4 the size of a Honey and don't require much swimming room. Since they're so small they won't add to much bioload to the tank. The Pygmy Corydoras are also tiny so I’d say a Trio of Sparkling Gourami plus the five Pygmys would be the way to go. 

• Like 5

I concur with @Patrick_G- sparkling gouramis could work, they are hard to sex so it could end up that you may have to remove one if there is a male female pair that forms, they can sometimes tolerate a 3rd wheel female. The pygmys will be awesome in there great choice hastatus and habrosus are great as well. Some amano shrimp are large enough to defend themselves and fend off the gouramis and corys plus they don't breed in fresh water. 

• Like 4

I keep a stubby powder blue in a 5.5g at the moment. I had to move her in there because she is quite aggressive. Not really any other fish in there but if you like a single fish only tank then I would say it is a great option! 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 5:13 PM, Pygmy cory said:

I really want a honey gourami or a gourami in my sister’s tank. For my tank I want a small community.

Sometimes you just have to give it a try. If the Honey doesn't work you can take it back to the store. I have a feeling it'll be just fine.