Hi from Tennessee

A3M0N

I'm in Middle Tennesee, near Nashville. I worked in a pet store back in college and love animals, but have only had dogs for the most part. I had an aquarium when I was in college working at the pet store, but that's about as far as my fish keeping experience goes. I did plenty of in store fish keeping, but not much on my own. I decided to start a little 10 gallon with some Christmas money from last year. So far I have a stand built and painted, an aquarium running with a heater and sponge filter, and just added two plants last week. I've been keeping it cycled by feeding the bacteria with ammonia. I have some rocks cleaned, fish food and root tabs are coming in today, so hopefully fish this week sometime. 

• Like 2

Thanks y'all! @anewbie, no fish store business in my future, but I know what you mean! I live just NE of Nashville, the only options really are Petco, PetSmart, and Pet Supplies Plus. I dropped into Pet Supplies Plus the other day and I can say that is where I'll be shopping for fish and plants in the future. 

@Griznatch - I started a journal, there should be a link in my signature. 

Edited by A3M0N
  • Like 1

You might check out aquacritter - just be aware they don't qt their fishes and will sell them the same day they arrive. However they do have a reasonable large - if mainstream - selection. I think there was a place up north - maybe smyrna and there might be something decent in ky. It kind of sucks down here - no clubs or meet ups either - the best ones are expo in west nc (still 7 hour drive) and atlanta (4ish hour drive). There is also two decent aquariums - chattanooga and atlanta.

Welcome--what a fun place to be in your re-entry to the hobby--you get to pick fish! Other than guppies, I have had good luck with my Petco and Pet Supplies Plus fish (mollies and white clouds). During shutdown, our only non-chain store was closed so I ordered from Aquabid sellers and from eBay and those fish have been great, too. I've also ordered from Aqua Huna and been very happy with the fish I got. I hope you have fun selecting yours.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2022 at 3:44 PM, anewbie said:

You might check out aquacritter - just be aware they don't qt their fishes and will sell them the same day they arrive. 

When was this happening?  I've heard others say that before too, not just on these forums. Their QT policy seems to have gone back & forth over the past few decades.

For example, back when we supplied fish for them (about 2013-2018), there were a few times they would not sell something to us because it was in QT. If we special ordered something (they no longer do special orders) back then, it wouldn't have been through QT, because it was still in the shipping bags. A couple months ago, my wife took the day off and drove the 90 minutes each way to pick up some stuff their website showed as a new arrival, but they would not sell to her because everything that arrived that day was in QT.

Either way, it's a good practice to quarantine everything yourself, if any way possible, & no matter the source.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:07 PM, Tazalanche said:

When was this happening?  I've heard others say that before too, not just on these forums. Their QT policy seems to have gone back & forth over the past few decades.

For example, back when we supplied fish for them (about 2013-2018), there were a few times they would not sell something to us because it was in QT. If we special ordered something (they no longer do special orders) back then, it wouldn't have been through QT, because it was still in the shipping bags. A couple months ago, my wife took the day off and drove the 90 minutes each way to pick up some stuff their website showed as a new arrival, but they would not sell to her because everything that arrived that day was in QT.

Either way, it's a good practice to quarantine everything yourself, if any way possible, & no matter the source.

The past three years I know for sure they don't qt their fishes in the general case. What they will do sometimes if the fish appears to have a disease or heavily stressed they will mark the tank as qt'ed and not immediately sell them. HOWEVER - their display tanks shared a common filtration system so if fishes have a contagious disease it can easily spread to most of their display tanks. Not sure if their filtration system uses UV in an attempt to mitigate spread of diseases but still parasites would be problematic. As of at least 2 years ago they would do special orders but right now everything is extremely difficult for them to obtain and their stocking is very low. They can certainly sell the fishes faster than they can obtain them. 

Thank you for the info @anewbie. I don't know if it has changed since covid,, but previously their filtration systems were set up with each side being separate.

i.e.: if a QT was occurring on the retail floor with the freshwater row closest to their cash register, the fish down the next aisle, on the side that backs against them would be unaffected.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:44 PM, Tazalanche said:

Thank you for the info @anewbie. I don't know if it has changed since covid,, but previously their filtration systems were set up with each side being separate.

i.e.: if a QT was occurring on the retail floor with the freshwater row closest to their cash register, the fish down the next aisle, on the side that backs against them would be unaffected.

That might be true but i have never seen all the tanks in a row being qt - have you ?