55 gallon cycled for 18 months - but something is killing my fish

MollyMama20

I can't figure out why the fish are dying? one at a time- every week or two lately.  I have platys (7 now) (all were born in my tanks) and down to 3 mollies (also born in the tanks) ; had 3 panda garras for 18 months and one disappeared/died this week.  Also lost a platy this week. I have a couple other platy that were too young and small and want to put back in the tank.

I had corydoras in this tank too but they did not live long - some people have suggested  I did not vacuum enough and the black sand substrate which is on top of the seachem red substrate had too much mulm. so I pulled out the last remaining bronze cory and put him in my bigger tank with the new/larger bronze cory- he did not live either.  I think that fish bought at LFS are usually in RO water and even though I slow drip acclimate them - they don't do well in my hard tap water. Whereas the fish that come from LFS and are in Tap water are able to do well in my hard tap water. yes, I use seachem prime to dechlorinate and stability if ammonia suddenly spikes.

Meanwhile, the platys and other mollies and now panda garra have died, sometimes it looks the platy have wasting disease. My theory is that when the panda garra ate a dead sick one (I saw one munching down on a platy a couple weeks ago), they too will get the disease and die.

Is this plausible? I just did a water change and noticed a bunch of little empty snail shells on the bottom too.

Tank parameters are 78 degrees, pH is 8.2, zero ammonia, zero nitrites, nitrates have been staying under 30 ppm....I do water changes now about every two weeks.  I use API Master kit to test.  there is a free floating java moss and a blob of algae on the top of the water too.

55gal05.15.22.jpg

Wasting disease is very possible, and pretty common with livebearers. I have noticed that is seems to affect one fish at a time as well. You can treat with Levamisole (Expel P), Flubendazole, or Fenbendazole (in the food).

I have found Levamisole to also be more effective in the food, though it is said to work in the water column as well. To me, Flubendazole has had the highest success rate, but is not as user-friendly as Levamisole.

Yes it is safe for the catfish. It's pretty user friendly in terms of dosing. Greg is a great guy and feel free to email him with any questions or concerns, they guy is a monster breeder and super knowledgeable. 

If this fails consider adding some PolyFilter as it can pick up on heavy metals and other toxins that your API test kit can't catch. Sometimes they are in our water and we don't even know it. Also tap water from municipalities can have things that affect the fish. See if you can find the report that they have to report to the feds annually under the clean water act. 

On 5/17/2022 at 11:29 PM, MollyMama20 said:

Yes I will Check  about treating with plants.  Another panda  garra died. Down to one.  ugh! I am Sooooo bummed.  

Levamisole shouldn't harm your plants