How long does it take for Kribensis to fall in love?

Corbidorbidoodle

I started a Krib tank a few weeks ago. I asked the LFS employee to try to get two pairs. He said they were a little young for positive sexing, but he'd do his best. 

They're still chasing each other around and there doesn't seem to be much romance. There's one that's definitely the alpha. He's got the best cave (bottom right) and the best color. There's another one that hangs out at the bottom on the left. And the other two sort of hang out mid water or at the top. One's tail is kinda torn. 

Is this typical behavior? Should I change something? Maybe rehome some? How do you get the love going in the tank? How do I get some ladies if this is all dudes? Or are they all ladies already? How do I tell?

Thanks!

PXL_20220513_223538581.jpg

Edited by Corbidorbidoodle
Spell check
  • Love 1

They won't pair up until they reach sexual maturity; once they reach sexual maturity it can still take 4+ weeks until they decide they are 'compatible'. Your tank looks like a 20 high - it will be too small for two pairs- kribs are quite vicious with regards to their territory - the other fishes you have hang at the top and the kribs won't care about them - but any bottom dwellers (like cory) are subject to brutal attacks. Also they will want a cave - if they can't find one they will try to dig one - your substrate looks pretty shallow for digging so you might want to add a bit more structure or an artificial cave. 

-

The male tends to be more streamline and has a distinct diamond shape tail; the female has a fuller body but is shorter and will have a more rounded tail. 

-

Also kribs are excellent parents and proficient breeders so most of their frys will live and you will need to have a plan to remove them. 

Edited by anewbie

The tank is 43 gal. There's probably at least 10 caves in between various rocks and wood, spread out around the bottom. I only have some khuli loaches on the bottom, and they don't seem to have too much trouble. The kribs don't seem to like the gouramis though, so I'm going to move them. The substrate is much deeper at the back, but it's mostly lava rocks, so probably not great for digging.

I'll give the kribs quite a bit more time to get to know each other then. 

• 4 weeks later...

Big water changes and lots of live foods will help.  I had a grow out tank with 30-40 juvenile kribs and two fell in love, which wasn't part of the plan.  😳

Be patient....   

Good luck! 

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's working! 

Two of them live in the same rock crevice now. They take turns swimming out to glower at the other fish.

There's another one that lives under a rock at the other end of the tank. And then the 4th one lives up at the top behind the filter intake/outflow. I don't think that one is very happy. Kinda grey and bored looking.

But what're you gonna do. 3 outta 4 isn't too bad.