Black Neon carrying eggs or??

xXInkedPhoenixX

Other than being really, really fat- she's acting normal, swimming normal, breathing normal. I've just done an Epsom soak and have her separated in a breeder box in the tank for observation. 

And the "fat" part is symetrical, with egg like bumps in some places- no pineconing. Nothing else physical, brightly colored. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

I think Epsom salt baths for a couple of days is a good course of action I would also do a course of kanaplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days it could be Dropsy looking at the bloating or an internal bacterial infection

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How long have you had her? If it's been a long time and you haven't recently added new fish, then I probably be think along the lines of old age and maybe egg bound....then again I don't think she'd be that symmetrical - in my cherry barbs the females who refuse the advances of my males are big but their abdomens are tall, not round like your girl.

I'd probably see if she'll eat a pea for you, natural laxative that might help rule out constipation causing her bloated look.

No matter what it turns out to be I wish you the best of luck with her.

Thanks @Jenja, that's what I was thinking....she's been in my tank over a year and other than adding my Harlequins some months ago (and who I've had a longer time) - there's no reason to believe she had a parasitic infection.

I did another Epsom soak and tried to feed med soaked bloodworms this morning but she wasn't eating. She had been QTd with Kanaplex in the water column. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:00 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@lefty o yeah I'm thinking it's not going to end well for this one too. Any insight into what it might have been for you? Did you treat yours and if so what with? (maybe I'll try the opposite and see if it works)

no idea for sure. i did salt, and actually got it back to normal size once for a few days, then it ballooned back up, and i mean ballooned. lasted maybe a week after it blew up the 2nd time.

• Thanks 1

Just to update for any future thread searches by others. No change here with the Kanaplex, IAL water, Aquarium salt and 2x daily Epsom salt soaks. This week I plan to release her back into general population- my guess is she's suffering from tumors or organ failure that is not fixable by meds. I'll let her live out whatever days she has left (not eating) in there- or at the very least in a floating breeder in there. 

(or maybe she'll be encouraged to eat getting caught up in the morning feeding frenzy)

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

@xXInkedPhoenixX thank you for posting the follow ups to this. I hope she is enjoying being back in her home tank and that all goes well for her. I've made the same decision at times, feeling that the lower stress of being in the home environment is better than a hospital tank alone if nothing is working. She's lucky to have you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, a little update. My little Black Neon, still plugging along but there are physical changes taking place- likely a sign of whatever is going on progressing in some way. The swelling has gone down some compared to prior observations but there is redness developing on the underside of fishy. Still active/swimming with mates and eating. Pics are blurry but you can get the picture:

20220709_0815051.jpg