Need help

Khole new fish

My Betta does not want to eat, i have offered different do d and did a water change, she is  swimming then stays at the bottom, the water is good temp is 79, has plants sponge filter, almond leaves, no faded color no notable things on her body i don't know what to do.

This is my third time trying to have a Betta fish i don't know if it  is a petcock issue or what.

Nitrites at 2ppm could be why he's isn't eating they should be at zero  I would do daily water changes and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any nitrites you can also add a small amount of aquarium salt that will help with any damage caused by the nitrites

On 5/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, Colu said:

Nitrites at 2ppm could be why he's isn't eating they should be at zero  I would do daily water changes and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any nitrites you can also add a small amount of aquarium salt that will help with any damage caused by the nitrites

Did a water change nitrites are zero and nitrate are also zero

On 5/13/2022 at 12:58 AM, Khole new fish said:

Did a water change nitrites are zero and nitrate are also zero

I would test for nitrites daily and do a water change if they get above zero for the next week nitrites can be a sign that your tank hasn't cycled yet have you had any ammonia spikes

Nitrites at 2 could be deadly.

If you waterchanged all at once to get them to 0, then that would mean you did a 100% waterchange. That can also be extremely stressful. I would grab a bottle of prime, and limit waterchanges to 50%. If you need to do them twice a day, that is better than all at once.

You also need to understand exactly why you have nitrites. (Uncycled tank, overfeeding, meds killed beneficial bacteria....etc). Getting them down is short-term, because you want to understand why they were there in the first place, and then act accordingly to attempt to fix that problem.

It would also be helpful to add a little salt, as that can limit the absorption of toxins.

Edited by quikv6

On 5/13/2022 at 8:17 PM, quikv6 said:

Nitrites at 2 could be deadly.

If you waterchanged all at once to get them to 0, then that would mean you did a 100% waterchange. That can also be extremely stressful. I would grab a bottle of prime, and limit waterchanges to 50%. If you need to do them twice a day, that is better than all at once.

You also need to understand exactly why you have nitrites. (Uncycled tank, overfeeding, meds killed beneficial bacteria....etc). Getting them down is short-term, because you want to understand why they were there in the first place, and then act accordingly to attempt to fix that problem.

It would also be helpful to add a little salt, as that can limit the absorption of toxins.

I actually did the water changes in three times in one day and i think my issue was over cleaning my filter my Betta only eat the pellets or food i would give and did not leave a thing, she is alone and has many plants, i always check for melted leaves and clean the peace lilly roots so i really am going for the filter cleaning.

And i really think that because all my other tanks are doing wonderful, and i set this one up with substrate from another tank and the drift wood to, i guess i shouldn't have cleaned the filter.

I am learning thanks to all of you this was the best thing I have done was join this group again thanks for all your help.

I am starting to understand many things about the hobby it is not like we where shown when we where growing up put it in the bowl and like it be.

It sounds like you have a good theory as to what caused a bump in the cycle. So that's good knowledge to go forward with. In the interim, now you just need to stay on top of it until your good bacteria bounce back. You can try to speed it up with a product like Fritzzyme 7. There are others, but that one seemed to work for me a few years back when I was cycling my new tank.

Change your water anytime nitrite or ammonia are higher than .5ppm for a fish in cycle. Add QuickStart whenever you change water and daily. Ph 6.5 takes a while to cycle so it may be quite a while.  What food are you feeding?