Breeding panda cories

Theplatymaster

Any tips for breeding them? I'm kinda limited to dry foods, and have a 5gal breeding tank. Same question for three lined cories, i just don't know which one i will be able to get. but i want to try to breed a smaller corydora

Edited by Theplatymaster
missed information

Water quality is key along with nutrition. Get a tank together and established to house them before adding, fatten then up and once they are showing signs of spawning a cool partitial water change does the trick to trigger them to spawn. Timing it with a drop in barometric pressure (a storm) will be even a bigger help when trying to control when to expect eggs. Generally including high quality frozen or live foods help condition them into spawning, but that sounds to be a limiting factor for you. 

• Like 1

Lots of plant cover and hiding spots.  

AD94C83C-F128-4822-9951-EDBE35D39E7A.jpeg.e2dd7cc020ed7427711d4ea96e4b70e3.jpeg45308EA8-9DA3-4579-8080-494351DEFEC7.jpeg.c2f1c4472ac3db2383a15bb5b64de3e1.jpeg

These are red sailfin cories, but I have used the same tank for pandas.  The larger gravel provides little nooks for the smallest fry to hide in.  

On 5/12/2022 at 11:46 AM, Tihshho said:

Water quality is key along with nutrition. Get a tank together and established to house them before adding, fatten then up and once they are showing signs of spawning a cool partitial water change does the trick to trigger them to spawn. Timing it with a drop in barometric pressure (a storm) will be even a bigger help when trying to control when to expect eggs. Generally including high quality frozen or live foods help condition them into spawning, but that sounds to be a limiting factor for you. 

Good advice

On 5/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Guppysnail said:

If you have no access to dry food or cannot obtain brine shrimp eggs to hatch use tubifex worms freeze dried from hikari. My pandas lay all the time unless I run out of live baby brine shrimp or frozen blood worms. Then they do not lay.  High protein foods are a must for them to spawn for me. 

True dat.  Have u tried Repashy instead of blood worms?

On 5/12/2022 at 1:14 PM, Ken Burke said:

Have u tried Repashy instead of blood worms

I have a BN pleco in with them. They get repashy 5x/ week several kinds. No bloodworms and baby brine shrimp no eggs. I withhold those 2 items when I need to do extra work on the tank just so I do not have eggs to deal with.  I think they are spoiled and just know no eggs gets mom to feed the good stuff 🤣

• Like 1

Good advice above several really great cory keepers have already responded. They will graze on just about anything. But that doesn't mean that those foods will induce a spawn. I would use the Grub Pie if I was using Repashy with them. Worms are just their favorite foods - this is what they are digging in the substrate for some sort of organisms in there. Some folks will put blackworms in months prior to get a culture going and then add the corys so they will have a food source all year round. The need for a mature rather than just cycled tank is important. They are fairly hardy but because they are bottom dwellers low level ammonia and nitrite can really do a number on them. I keep mine on sand or aquasoil something softish and easy on their barbels. 

Once they breed there are lots of methods for hatching out their eggs and you can check those on YT. I colony breed mine - I don't get maximum yields but also don't have the tank space right now for a giant group of babies. Started with 11, presently have well over 20 in a 29. I have mine in with a pleco species Ancistrus Rio Tocantin. I think there are some guppy fry in the guppy grass and probably a couple gardneri killifish from eggs they left behind. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 12:38 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have a BN pleco in with them. They get repashy 5x/ week several kinds. No bloodworms and baby brine shrimp no eggs. I withhold those 2 items when I need to do extra work on the tank just so I do not have eggs to deal with.  I think they are spoiled and just know no eggs gets mom to feed the good stuff 🤣

Mine aren’t quite that spoiled

On 5/12/2022 at 12:57 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Good advice above several really great cory keepers have already responded. They will graze on just about anything. But that doesn't mean that those foods will induce a spawn. I would use the Grub Pie if I was using Repashy with them. Worms are just their favorite foods - this is what they are digging in the substrate for some sort of organisms in there. Some folks will put blackworms in months prior to get a culture going and then add the corys so they will have a food source all year round. The need for a mature rather than just cycled tank is important. They are fairly hardy but because they are bottom dwellers low level ammonia and nitrite can really do a number on them. I keep mine on sand or aquasoil something softish and easy on their barbels. 

Once they breed there are lots of methods for hatching out their eggs and you can check those on YT. I colony breed mine - I don't get maximum yields but also don't have the tank space right now for a giant group of babies. Started with 11, presently have well over 20 in a 29. I have mine in with a pleco species Ancistrus Rio Tocantin. I think there are some guppy fry in the guppy grass and probably a couple gardneri killifish from eggs they left behind. 

I colony breed too.  I’ve tried pulling the eggs w/o success so far.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:53 AM, Theplatymaster said:

So i should leave the eggs and the parents in the breeding tank? Also what about 3lined cories is it the same?

It does depend on what species you are keeping with them but even the cories themselves will eat their own eggs so pulling eggs will dramatically increase your chance of success. I also have gouramis and guppies in with my cories so most of my eggs get an hour tops before it's chomped. 

I haven't read all the comments the comments so I apologize if this is repeated. I highly suggest a spawning mop. It simulates the type of plant they like to lay on. Even if you already have plants, a mop makes life a million times easier when pulling eggs. I usually have 2 in the tank so when I'm checking one they can still use the other. I often will pull eggs while they are spawning. I have had times when I say "I'll just check in the morning" and find very few if any. 

Here is a pic showing my 2 spawning mops. There is many YouTube videos telling how to make them. 

20220504_224209.jpg

• Like 1

My breeding setup

Water Params - Tap water (who knows? lol)
Temps 70-74
(2) 10 Gallon Sponge Filter
10 Gallon Tank

Feed heavily for a week. 

50% water change with colder tap water

Bam gets em in the mood every time

Now my Sterbai are harder to breed than my pandas