Facts

It could be hard to tell without more details, but generally speaking I would think that's incorrect about you starving him. I have a giant plakat male betta in a large community tank, and I feed the whole tank bottom feeder pellets, shrimp pellets, betta pellets and flake Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays, and fast every Saturday and Sunday. I have done this for over a year now and it works great and keeps the balance in check. If you feed your betta species-appropriate food (such as fluval bug bites or frozen brine shrimp) Mon-Fri and fast on Saturday and Sunday, he should be just fine. I was under the impression that it's good to fast bettas so they don't get bloated. 

You said you were having issues with your tank, was their anything else other than this concern?? 

Edited by hannah662parker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The replies you have gotten are absolutely correct in that fasting fish is healthy and safe.

I think what also would help to be addressed here is that in this hobby it is important to understand that there is more than one RIGHT answer. As long as the fish is healthy and thriving, it's the right answer, and there is more than 1 way to get there. I have a feeling what happened here is someone was convinced their way was the only way and tried to convince you of that as well. You did the right thing. Not only did you not just take their word for it, but you also sought out to make sure your way really was right. It's a good quality to question everything including yourself!