New Member from Michigan

Wife bought the kids and me some fish a couple weeks ago and a Fluval Spec 2.6…Mistakes were made, LOL.

A Cory, a glo Tetra, 2 hq rasboras, and a mystery snail. I don’t know anything about fish but could tell it was too much for a little space. I bought a Fluval Flex 15 two days later to try and save my kids new pets… but only moved over the Cory and the snail, which survived the ordeal. 

A few weeks of ACo-op vids and I now know enough to at least be dangerous. What a resource! Joined the community today to get better and took delivery of a Flex 32 this morning. 

Guess I stubbled into a new hobby by accident. Thanks for all the passive advice you’ve all put out there for a big dope like me. This is a really engaging endeavor!

Oh my name is Eric, married with young kids and live in a small town in Michigan… forgot that

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Welcome, Pithy Eric 🙂 Sometimes this hobby begins like this!

The Flex series seem like nice tanks, and you'll definitely have room to get your cory some friends - they definitely love shoaling in groups. Get yourself a test kit and see what your water is like and that can give you some clues about fish with the best chance of success in your new setup. I'm a fan of keeping fish that like your water, at least when you are new to the hobby. These days more and more fish are commercially bred in lots of kinds of water, so less of an issue than it used to be - but knowing if your water is quite hard or really soft as an example will help you establish a stable system.

Good luck - this community is an invaluable resource, glad you found it too.

• Like 1

Happy to hear you've discovered the Co-Op YouTube page. A great resource, and a wealth of knowledge - including this forum to boot!

Welcome fellow west-sider! I'm in Grand Rapids myself. Happy to have you 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 11:57 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

Welcome, Pithy Eric 🙂 Sometimes this hobby begins like this!

The Flex series seem like nice tanks, and you'll definitely have room to get your cory some friends - they definitely love shoaling in groups. Get yourself a test kit and see what your water is like and that can give you some clues about fish with the best chance of success in your new setup. I'm a fan of keeping fish that like your water, at least when you are new to the hobby. These days more and more fish are commercially bred in lots of kinds of water, so less of an issue than it used to be - but knowing if your water is quite hard or really soft as an example will help you establish a stable system.

Good luck - this community is an invaluable resource, glad you found it too.

Now I have to figure out what to put in the Fluval Spec 2.6 that started all this. Beta? Worried it’s too small for that. Thought about trying shrimp in it. It’s a really nice looking tank. Shame to waste it in a box somewhere. Suggestions welcome.

I have API test kits, strips and the bottle ammonia one. I’ve been testing everyday but now every other. Things are going pretty well. I have high PH 7.5-8 and very high KH & GH so adjusting things is a path I don’t want to go down with that high resistance.

I found a highly recommended fish store about an hour from me called Fish Doctors and have spoken with them on the phone, seem very knowledgeable. I travel there for work frequently so I’ll have access to good healthy fish options & plants. 

For now I have to make a place for this Flex 32 and get it cycling!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 4:55 PM, PithyUserName said:

Now I have to figure out what to put in the Fluval Spec 2.6 that started all this. Beta? Worried it’s too small for that. Thought about trying shrimp in it. It’s a really nice looking tank. Shame to waste it in a box somewhere. Suggestions welcome.

I have API test kits, strips and the bottle ammonia one. I’ve been testing everyday but now every other. Things are going pretty well. I have high PH 7.5-8 and very high KH & GH so adjusting things is a path I don’t want to go down with that high resistance.

I found a highly recommended fish store about an hour from me called Fish Doctors and have spoken with them on the phone, seem very knowledgeable. I travel there for work frequently so I’ll have access to good healthy fish options & plants. 

For now I have to make a place for this Flex 32 and get it cycling!

My renewal into the hobby started with a 2.5 bowfront that now has a colony of neocaradina shrimp. My parameters are similar and they do well for me, as do livebearers. So many fish are commercially raised now that a higher ph generally isn't an issue, especially since you're still under 8. Hope you'll share your progress here!

On 5/17/2022 at 5:34 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

My renewal into the hobby started with a 2.5 bowfront that now has a colony of neocaradina shrimp. My parameters are similar and they do well for me, as do livebearers. So many fish are commercially raised now that a higher ph generally isn't an issue, especially since you're still under 8. Hope you'll share your progress here!

Good to know. Thank you! I will share as things move along…should I do that here or in another area?

On 5/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, PithyUserName said:

Good to know. Thank you! I will share as things move along…should I do that here or in another area?

You can always start a topic in any relevant section - plants, general, illness, etc. You can also start a journal, which is also a good way to track your own progress. You'll see a lot of people have links to journals they keep here, with some really interesting stuff!