aquascaping

Craziiininja

My ph is 8.2, gh 12 kh 10. I have a 125 gallon mbuna tank. I'm thinking about doing a seiryu stones aquascape. I know that sieryu stone will raise the ph, gh, kh. Would it be safe for someone who already has high ph and hard water too add seiryu stone to their tank? I dont want my ph in particular going too high. thanks for any insights

I'm betting it probably won't raise it much, if at all. In a neutral or acidic environment it would leach quite a bit but in an alkaline tank I don't think it would (plus you have fish who favour those parameters so it would be to their benefit even if it did).

I'd probably start by sitting a piece in a 5g bucket of your water, wait a few days, and test parameters on it - you get to confirm or refute my theory without impacting your main display.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, Craziiininja said:

My ph is 8.2, gh 12 kh 10. I have a 125 gallon mbuna tank. I'm thinking about doing a seiryu stones aquascape. I know that sieryu stone will raise the ph, gh, kh. Would it be safe for someone who already has high ph and hard water too add seiryu stone to their tank? I dont want my ph in particular going too high. thanks for any insights

Rocks and minerals can't raise pH any higher than their own pH. Combine that knowledge with the volume of water, and at 8.2 pH you aren't even going to see an increase in TDS from the seiryu stone, because the water isn't acidic enough to begin deteriorating the rock.