Automatic Syphon

Mr Gumby

Hi folks,

Im thinking of linking my three 5 gallon tanks using U syphons with a self starting Syphon running into a 5 gallon drum with a small return pump (hope that makes sense)

Has anyone successfully done something similar and can provide tips or pictures??

I don't know about using U syphons like that. I've seen people build "water bridges" that sound similar, though. Is your goal simply to share water between tanks? 

If you're using a pump to return water, you could use the principals of an automatic water change system... building an overflow for each tank that drains into your drum, and then pumping the water back in on a timer (or always slowly dripping into each tank). 

On 5/11/2022 at 2:39 PM, Anon said:

I don't know about using U syphons like that. I've seen people build "water bridges" that sound similar, though. Is your goal simply to share water between tanks? 

If you're using a pump to return water, you could use the principals of an automatic water change system... building an overflow for each tank that drains into your drum, and then pumping the water back in on a timer (or always slowly dripping into each tank). 

Essentially yes I'm just sharing water. As they'll be grow out tanks I want to be able to simply change the water in the drum as a quick and easy water change. 

I was thinking the U Syphon rather than an overflow in each tank as they're a bit smaller with them only being 5 gallon tanks

Greg Sage goes over this through numerous videos on his rack setup. If you check out his YouTube channel, I'm sure you'll find what you're after.

In terms of doing this with 5 gallons, what are you rearing in these tanks? 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 4:53 PM, Tihshho said:

Greg Sage goes over this through numerous videos on his rack setup. If you check out his YouTube channel, I'm sure you'll find what you're after.

In terms of doing this with 5 gallons, what are you rearing in these tanks? 

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out his channel

All my fish are nano egg layers, CPD's, emerald dwarf Rasbora, kubotai Rasbora and chili Rasbora.

Just be sure with such small fry like that you have the appropriate sponge to not have babies mixing and/or getting pulled into the barrel. Also, with a prefilter like that, you'll need to make sure that it won't clog and start a flood. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 5:53 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Hi folks,

Im thinking of linking my three 5 gallon tanks using U syphons with a self starting Syphon running into a 5 gallon drum with a small return pump (hope that makes sense)

Has anyone successfully done something similar and can provide tips or pictures??

you can do it with something as simple as a piece of airline tubing.

Here's another one...

Thanks @nabokovfan87 I've watched Blake's video and Joey's on making overflows and yes I was planning something considerably smaller with it being for 5 gallon tanks.

My main issue is getting them as small but large enough to handle the water volume from the return pump.

ideally I need a variable speed DC pump but then the cost gets silly

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:48 PM, Mr Gumby said:

Thanks @nabokovfan87 I've watched Blake's video and Joey's on making overflows and yes I was planning something considerably smaller with it being for 5 gallon tanks.

My main issue is getting them as small but large enough to handle the water volume from the return pump

The one I saw basically was similar but just smaller diameter pvc. If flow is the concern, potentially run 2 of them.

They also sell prefab ones that hang on the tank. "Box style" I think is the trade term.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:48 PM, Mr Gumby said:

My main issue is getting them as small but large enough to handle the water volume from the return pump.

ideally I need a variable speed DC pump but then the cost gets silly

It might shorten the life of the pump, but you could control the flow of water with a ball or gate valve. 

• Like 1